Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

With All The Triple Talk.....

1K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  Bug 
#1 ·
I paid a little visit to the Triumph Site - With those who are familiar with this brand (Dave, relax) I ask a silly question - What is the difference between the Street Trip and The Speed Trip? - Or even the Street Trip R? - What is the baddest of the lot? - I am really starting to take a liking to these bikes - I am horrible with names but the cat from Wisc who went on Paul's ride with us last year, and has a Blue Triumph, I REALLY dig that bike

If I were to walk into a dealer and ask for the baddest of them all, what would I be looking at from a $$ perspective and performance perspective? - What exhaust is the Triumph Brand of Choice like Termi with Duc, Arkrop with KTM, etc etc

Thanks for your insight and help lads!

#2 · (Edited)
I like these numbers and the looks of the "Special Edition"

Speed Trip
Maximum Power 130bhp at 9,250 rpm
Maximum Torque 77ft.lbf at 7,550 rpm

My Superduke
Horsepower (bhp): 117.9 bhp
Torque (Ft Lbs): 73.8 lbs

I was told by the cats at MCC that with what I have done to my bike, I should have about 120 at the wheel - Not sure if that is true but I like the #'s of the Speed Trip

Speed Trip SE #'s
Weighing in at 189kg and developing 132PS and 105Nm of torque, the 2009 Speed Triple is the lightest and most powerful version to date. With its distinctive triple sound accompanying a muscular linear power delivery that pulls strongly from tickover to red line, combined with precise and agile handling.

Attachments

#3 ·
The Speed Triple is an awesome bike. If I could own one bike, that would be it. Comfort, looks, and power. And if you ever get bored of the power, have Greg toss a turbo on it. Everyone loves a single sided swing arm. Triumph has a warranty they stand behind, and the aftermarket list is the sky. And in the classic words of Bug, "I got a guy".

#6 ·
I am a dumbass - Thx Eric

Dave - I will be going to Demo Days :bow

#5 · (Edited)
The street triple is closely designed around the daytona 675. They share the same engine, but the cams and tune for the street triple is designed for everyday riding. The R uses the suspention and brakes off the '08 daytona 675. Overall, I think you will be happierwith the speed triple (1050cc). The '08 daytona 675 is much different than the '09. There has been talk of a 1050 daytona, but the speed triple is the shit.

#7 ·
I also have fallen in love with that whole line of bikes, Street Triple/R/Speed Trip...and I've seen a ton of Arrow exhausts on them and they look and sound fantastic. I dream of owning a speed triple some day :cheers

mmmmm..some day......

#17 ·
Check out www.oneonewheel.com. There is a reason they use speed triples. And Steve can give you a quick lesson. ;)
I did this class about 5yrs ago. They teach you to just crank the trottle from about 25mph. It lofts the front effortlessly and is sooo smooth to ride it out. The Triumph is a great bike for this kind of playing.

#9 ·
I have to see what happens with the KTM as all this is a Plan B if it gets lemoned due to the oil not staying in - If the oil stays in when the seals settle than the KTM stays but if she persists the way she has, I refuse to go through that again this year and the Speed Trip might be my next venture - I have looked at the Duc SF and that will be more $$ than the Speed Trip and I have never owned a Trip - I like what I hear about the low end of a twin and a high rev of an I4 - The only thing that KILLS me about the Duke is the Rev Limit of 9600 and a top end of 140 - I would like just a little bit more of both - Not much but just a bit - I do however love the Duke and have never ridden as good as I do on that thing

We'll see laddies, we'll see

#14 ·
The 955i engine had some quirky problems. We both had the hot start problem. Your bike was put through the ringer, mine was beat to hell. Daytonas are a love or hate bike. Mine was pretty good, but it rode much like a busa. Good for some, it just wasn't me. The 1050 IMHO is a much better engine. Speed triples have proven the test of time, it is a reliable platform.

I always had people ask and check out the S4. Gas stops were an easy 2-3 comments and questions. It is really a bike to get noticed on.

#11 ·
Hey Bug, my bike that you checked out at bike night last Weds is the Street Triple R. It is really a different animal than the Speed Triple. My street may not put down the numbers of the Speed 1050 but my Street Triple R is way lighter and flickable. The 1050 is 416lbs dry and my R is 367lbs dry. Try both of them out, take a ride before the demo days, you will have more time to play. Plus the Street triple will probably be spoken for unless you camp out to sign up. Last year I couldn't get to ride it since it was so booked.
If you want something fun to ride that is light and nimble check out the Street, if you want a back room brawler with heaps of torque and a lot of HP that is a little more heavy go with the Speed. Both great bikes.
MSRP: Street R = 9400
Speed = 11300

Under200

#13 ·
Bug, do this right and BUY greggs!! he is kicking around the idea of selling it. Shortly thereafter you will need to let me borrow it.

#15 ·
One day I will have Speed Triple SE seating in my garage next to my Sprint ST! It shares the 1050 engine - I changed the gearing on my sprint to match speed T, but my bike is good 30-40 lbs heavier and suspension is worse, but it has fairings and luggage - so I need it for my touring

Exhaust - Arrow, Zard and Mivv are all euro brands that make good exhausts for Speed Triple. if you are used to shifting on big four - you will be disappointed - Triumph gearboxes are clunky, but the engine will make up for it! Also, some oil consumption at sustained high revs is heard of.

Other that that - bulletproof engine as long as you maintain it properly

#25 ·
if you are used to shifting on big four - you will be disappointed - Triumph gearboxes are clunky, but the engine will make up for it! Also, some oil consumption at sustained high revs is heard of.

Other that that - bulletproof engine as long as you maintain it properly
Gotta say that my gearbox on the Street is silky smooth. I was worried about a clunky box too, especially after coming of a gixxer which I think has the best gearbox out there. My street gearbox has not even broken in yet and if is butter. I did try a 08 Sprint ST and agree 100% that it seemed clunky.
Oil also plays a huge part. Sometimes you have to try a few different types to see what your bike likes. Years ago in my SV I tried Amsoil 100% synth and it shifted a little rough, likewise Motul 100% synth. Ironically it liked regular Valvoline motorcycle dino or Motul semi synth.

Under200

#16 · (Edited)
i test rode both and decided on the speed triple after about...ohhh...5 seconds. the street triple would've been sweet for whipping around the city if i still lived there, but it couldn't touch the sheer power of the speed triple.

3 weeks later...no regrets. the speed triple is a blast. you'd love it for sure.

#21 · (Edited)
There's nothing special about the new Speed Triple SE. Just paint, decals, and rim tape. :rolleyes:
Sure woulda been nice if they at least gave it better suspension.

'08 and up gets a longer rear pillion seat (and subframe, sidepanels), brembos up front, and a steel gas tank instead of plastic.

Arrow 3-1 full system runs about $1300. Arrow dual high slipons are a little less....thankfully the Mivv sounds way better than both and will only run you about $425. Saves a significant, noticeable amount of weight. Power commanders are generally avoided in favor of Tuneboy, and there are many excellent tunes available on the Speed Triple forums.

#31 ·
i own a white 07 speed triple, and i highly recommend the bike to anybody that wants comfort and a whole lot of fun. like davey said, i get held up at gas stations with either older people asking me "is that really a triumph??" or i had a 17 year old ask me if it was a supermoto bike haha. mods i have currently done to the bike are lsl clip ons, triumph off road something exhaust, carbon fiber rear tire hugger, fender eliminator, and integrated turn signals in the brake light. im currently deployed overseas but having internet in my hooch, ive been a busy bee ordering parts online. ive ordered a mivv carbon fiber slip on, single headlight kit, vortex levers, and bmc race filter. im hoping to find somebody that has a tuneboy that will tune my bike for me for like 100 bucks or something, that way i dont have to drop 400 bucks on a tuneboy. so yeah, if theres anybody out there with a tuneboy that wants to make an easy 100 dollars, shoot me a message, im coming home in july. and to answer the exhaust question, the zard full system is pretty wicked and i hear with the right tune you can get a lot of power out of it. same goes for the full system arrow. but i bet you only get 2-3 hp more than putting a slip-on on.

#33 ·
I love triple talk! :1pimp

im hoping to find somebody that has a tuneboy that will tune my bike for me for like 100 bucks or something, that way i dont have to drop 400 bucks on a tuneboy. so yeah, if theres anybody out there with a tuneboy that wants to make an easy 100 dollars, shoot me a message
Just a heads up, you'll need to purchase a key(unlock code for your bike's ecu) from Tuneboy if you want to have anyone tune your bike with a Tuneboy. Tune edit keys are aprox $145.

Also if you watch around for the group buys you can get a Tuneboy for well under $400. I actually posted up about a group buy back in March and only paid $260 shipped for mine. http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1362404&postcount=1

#34 ·
Please God, do not let me be stupid tomorrow and ride home a new Speed Trip?

NOW, if they have a used with all the goodies on and can give me okay $$ on the Superduke......?

#36 ·
Funny.... all these people wanting to be like me... flocking to the British side. Next thing you know, they'll be driving what I drive... drinking what I drink... lusting over my underwear model girlfriend. ....so ahh, yeah, I'd get the Speed Triple Bug. ;) ...next best thing to the future 1050 Daytona. Which I seriously hope looks like this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.