Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

work truck or van village question

525 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  taledarkside 
#1 ·
I'm wondering what is your experience with owning one and how the village is towards you with it.

Say your a plumber and you have a typical white van with your plumber logo on it. do you get a problem parking it at your house?

or someone with a service truck.

I read some towns want you to park it on your "business property" eventhough if your an independent contractor, you dont have a building.(most cases)

#4 ·
when I had to go to village court in the other town. There were couple people that got really hassled by their work vehicles, or if were renting their parking spots for work vehicle.

and i don't want to get hassled for giving free candy in some other town and don't have a business license for free candy. because there is a need in this state for free candy.

#6 ·
These issues are the reason i tell the boss i have to take the unmarked van home if i take a van home.

My city frowns upon any commercial vehicle in a residential driveway, outside of you being there for work.

The actual laws very greatly from city to city. But most smaller towns aren't going to bother ticketing you, until someone complains that a van in your driveway at night, is ruining the good looks of the neighborhood.

it's best to just ask the city what the rules are for marked/unmarked commercial vehicles. There may be some extra city sticker or something to buy.

#7 ·
They vary city to city. Some places, like Gurnee where I used to live, say it must be in a fenced area. That also applies to RVs and such. Other places it may not be a city thing, but an association thing.
As a plumber in unincorporated Mchenry county with a VERY lettered up truck, I have no issues.

#8 ·
Depends where you live. Some apartment complexes don't allow commercial vehicles with advertising. Some cities or villages don't allow it on the street or in your own drive way. We had white work vans with normal plates, no markings on it all. In Morton Grove it wasn't allowed anywhere but in the garage overnight because it was registered to a company. Therefore a business vehicle.

#9 ·
thanks

one more question

I believe plumbers, hvac,contractor guys need to be licensed in the city they are working.

So what about appliance repair,handyman, or geek squad type guys? can they ignore the licensing or just need a state business license and be bonded?

#11 ·
Would have nothing to do with city parking ordinances.

#10 · (Edited)
well i know in IL there is no license needed to be a HVAC person. no real requirements at all, unless you wanna work with refrigerants, then you need a EPA certification. Plumbers need to have a state license. Appliance repair varies greatly with the type of appliances being serviced. some might need licenses but most don't. Handyman type stuff i have no idea, but i would guess a business license, and maybe be insured/bonded. Bonded/insured pretty much goes for any service/contractor type work. I'm not sure Geek Squad type work would be even under the same rules of business as plumbing/carpentry/hvac/ect... The only license i have seen them have is a Drivers license, maybe best buy has something though.

I do also know many areas have basically a work permit for contractor type work. Basically you pay X amount of dollars and file a piece of paper at city hall that has your businesses info on it with insurance stuff, and the type of work you are allowed to do in that cities jurisdiction. I know the company i work for has a few of them for towns like Round Lake and that area. If I remember correctly, a license to work in the towns around there its like 100$ a year fee. (per city)

#15 ·
It's called IL. Tell me about it. The more crap I have to deal with like this, the more I want to move to TN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.