Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Anybody do sandblasting/powdercoating?

369 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  SilverGhost 
#1 ·
Anybody do this kind of work or know somebody who can get it done around the nw suburbs?

#2 ·
Should be a couple people from the board who do powdercoating and sandblasting No?

#7 ·
It must be taken apart, so you can do it or we can do it, whatever your cheap ass wants to pay for. :lmao:

I need a complete rear end out of my 72 demon approx 60" long and maybe 15" wide at its widest part. I don't need any fancy finish just a plain black.
Gotta check on something 5 feet long to make sure it fits. I'll get back to you on that one.

#14 ·
The reason why engine parts and mechanical parts have to be taken apart for powder coat is because of the process. The part is positively charged and the powder coat is a negative so the powder sticks. Then the part is baked in an oven. Not sure how hot, but I know it's hot enough to start grease on fire. So every part has to be cleaned free of grease, oil dirt ect...

At least that's how it was explained to me when I put parts through the process. I had a frame, swing arm and forks powder coated. I had to purchase about 350 dollars in new bearings and seals.

If you are doing a motor, be prepared to do a "COMPLETE" rebuild. The prep time for the motor is going to be a big deal.

#15 ·
The reason why engine parts and mechanical parts have to be taken apart for powder coat is because of the process. The part is positively charged and the powder coat is a negative so the powder sticks. Then the part is baked in an oven. Not sure how hot, but I know it's hot enough to start grease on fire. So every part has to be cleaned free of grease, oil dirt ect...

At least that's how it was explained to me when I put parts through the process. I had a frame, swing arm and forks powder coated. I had to purchase about 350 dollars in new bearings and seals.

If you are doing a motor, be prepared to do a "COMPLETE" rebuild.
Couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I didn't. :lmao:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.