Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Attention Grasshoper, cerkMX, underdog, etc!

1K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  Village Idiot 
#1 ·
#5 ·
This.

I've been loyal to the brand for over 15 years. There was a time when we had an arrangement with Sam's Wine to keep a few cubes on hand for my friends and I at all times. Could scarcely find it in the city limits for a few years there. (those were dark days)

Hipster Upside: Cold Cubes are easy to find
Hipster Downside: People think you're a Hipster and/or Hipster Sympathizer

For now I'll just be happy with the upside, and secretly hope that the next generation of wannabees will discover Kokanee and figure out a way to bring that down here.

:cheers

#9 ·
college freshman can't choke Hamm's down.

I bought a 6 pack of Schlitz a few years ago, guy couldn't find the price, I had to wipe the dust off!

REgarding the subject at hand, I've been buying Miller High Life for the cheap beer of choice lately. The delivery guy is funny.

#15 ·
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord
He was driving down the highway in a black and yellow Ford
With one hand on the throttle and the other on a bottle of Pabst Blue Ribbon BEER!!!

When I get drunk (specifically on PBR) I'm known to sing this song of lore.

If it don't come in a 30 pack, it's of no use to me:jester

#17 ·
I used to play tennis @ the Brooks club in Brookfield, a suburb of Milwaukee. Would you believe free Schlitz on tap? My parents brought me back a belt on a two week trip to LA when we were living in Switzerland in '69 - you guess it - a Schlitz buckle which I wear when not business formal or casual.

#21 ·
I did know a couple guys who had fridges full of Old Style, although La Crosse Lager sounds familiar.

PBR is still brewed in Milwaukee though... by Miller. (One of several breweries that makes it, but the stuff we all drink is probably from there.)

Also, random item I discovered the other day, Milwaukee's pickles come from Pennsylvania, or someplace not Wisconsin.

#27 ·
mmmmm, I love me some PBR. I drank it all the time in college, and they messed up on the pricing. I was getting 12 packs for about $1.50. I always made sure to buy a few packs of smokes, and a bottle or something with it so the drunk college kids working behind the counter didn't notice. Busch light comes in a close second.

#29 ·
Anyone remember Black Label? I remember my old man buying 6 packs of that stuff for $1.99.

I've noticed the rise in prises and popularity of PBR as well. Time to move on to something cheaper. Oldmilyuckee is good, Hamms is ok, Keystone isn't that bad either. Natty light gives me the shits.

#32 ·
Que Tendras? Cientas Azul!

My spanish teacher in high school worked at the PBR plant in Peoria for many years. The stories he would tell us.....like being able to drink as much as you wanted for free at work as long as you could "still perform your job"....:laughing:

#35 ·
Dirty Johns (I think every campus has a Dirty Johns liquor store) used to sell cases of this stuff for $4. I would buy them, drink them, and recycle them (Iowa rules) and manage my raging alcoholism for approximately $2.80 a case.

Net: It's easy to be a college kid when you can stock the fridge with 12 cent beers! (and it wasn't half bad!)

#36 ·
Photo of Schlitz taken in Schlitz..
The two are completely unrelated...

btw.. any Germans on here know what Schlitz translates to? :)

Wife and I brought baby to Schlitz Germany this July..

We were there while Trachtenfest was going on.. It was pretty cool
http://www.schlitzer-trachtenfest.com/index.php?id=4&L=1

Oddly enough .. My One of my Wifes best friends Dad was the Mayor of Schlitz.. We stayed with them during our stay...

Kinda off topic.. but checkout these stairs - imagine trying to carry bags for 2 girls + a baby up all of these.. after a handful of german beers...

ugh

They were about as vertical as a ladder.. and narrow enough that my shoulders were touching on both sides... fun... (and we brought those huge Ogio 9800 motorcross bags :))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.