Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

cruiser

695 views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  taziscool 
#1 ·
Hypothetically speaking, if you absolutely had to get a cruiser, what would it be. And harley does not count because of the image it brings.

I'm talking about something for day to day and long distance trips, possibly 2 up.

Also it would be great if you speak from experience, not theory :D

#3 ·
For 2 up long distance I agree with RickC1957, Honda VFR or a Goldwing.

As far as a cruiser I would get a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior or Honda VTX. I love those huge v-twins.
The Warrior is just an awsome preforming cruiser, with a few mods and in the right hands it can smoke quite a few of us at the dragstrip. :)

#4 ·
I personally like the Kawi Mean Streak. They bumped up the displacement for this year. I also liked the sitting position of the VTX.... but not the Warrior... and the warrior is a big old school OHV pushrod air/oil cooled motor.

For long distance comfort however, I'd just spend the extra cash and get a Goldwing.

#5 ·
aptyp said:
And harley does not count because of the image it brings.
:rolleyes :doh

#12 ·
Who was it that said about harley riders that they dress up like pirates? I laughed myself to tears on that one. :D

I'm just doing research ahead of time, I don't think my bandit is going anywhere for at least a few years, but I have a feeling that I will need a cruiser in a garage as well. And the VFR is too close to my bandit in too many aspects, but is definitely a fine bike. It's just that damn VTEC.

A lot of people are mentioning the Mean streak, and not just on this forum. I will definitely take a look at one, just to see which way the tires go on it. Thanks everyone for chiming in.

By the way, no offense to HD crowd, I just feel that paying double for my bike is the way to go. Also, to put in aftermarket on a HD is still going to get you a bike that everyone else has.

#13 ·
Re: Re: cruiser

RickC1957 said:
Besides, why would anyone pay 18K for a 9K bike:confused
Well, first off because it's not a 9k bike. I'll get more than I paid for mine when I sell it. Will you get more for yours?;) Just like "location" is the important thing in real estate, brand is the important thing in motorcycles. Don't asume that others are crazy for spending their money as they wish. Last time I looked, there were quite a few foriegn bikes topping the 18k mark also. Only the problem is getting that money back on resale of trade. My R1 which is only 2 years old has already lost HALF it's value. Don't talk about getting a deal unless you take that into account.

Personally, I like the "image" the HD logo has.:p :D

#14 ·
aptyp said:
Who was it that said about harley riders that they dress up like pirates? I laughed myself to tears on that one.
As if an adult dressing up like a Power Ranger isn't a giggle.:laughing :laughing :laughing

#15 ·
I'll keep my Electra Glide for touring... even if I take off the tour-pak I'll STILL have more than enough room to carry things (plus, you can't beat having the stereo)... and the V-Rod for cruising (it's coming out of "exile" in the spring).

#17 ·
Everyday around town cruising? Um, eyeing a Triumph Speed Triple. Depending on how it ends up, considering the behemoth Triumph Rocket III. Of course, what I will get depends on what I want when I have the money. I'm trying hard to NOT buy a new bike this year. We'll see how long that lasts.

For now, it's my Triumph Speed Four. actually looking at putting some superbike handlebars on it for more upright riding. I was amazed at how light the speed triple felt with them. Between those, a new pipe and new FI map, the S4 could be really fun!

Chris

#19 ·
Well, since you said you're not looking for a VFR since it's too similar to what you've already got - my cruiser votes would be:

1) Mean Streak
2) V-ROD

DanO demo'd a Mean Streak over the summer, so he and I did a little cruising/comparing between it, my dad's '96 Softail, and a V-ROD I demo'd.

Comparing the Mean Streak to the Softail - I don't know why ANYONE would buy the Harley, unless you're a poser concerned with image. The Mean Streak was WAY smoother, brakes were awesome for a cruiser, and it handled well. The Mean Streak kept my hands and feet from going numb - the Harley started making things tingly after ~30 minutes. Straight line performance was dead-nuts even between the box-stock Mean Streak, and the Softail - and the Softail has a cam, bigger carbs, K&N filter, and exhaust.

Compared to the V-ROD - handling might've been a little better on the Harley. Mean Streak still had the better brakes. The V-ROD was smooth (WAY smoother than the Softail) - but not as smooth as the Kawi. Straight line, the Harley was WAY faster (that thing moved pretty damn good, ask JimGoFast!) But - there is a large price difference. Tough to justify, IMO.

#20 ·
I liked the V-Rod for about 50 miles... after that, It hurt my back ot have all my weight on my tailbone since your legs are up so high and in front of you. It really ruined the riding expereince.
Yes the V0rod handles nice, but starts dragging parts as soon as you really start having fun. Great motor!

I've never ridden the Mean Streak personally.

#22 ·
does the vrod even come with brakes???? LOL
Took me 2 seconds to remember you have to use a rear brake on most cruisers. that being said The Vrod is a great bike, however i owned a Roadstar for a short time (1 year) and if i where to compare the 2 i would take the Road star over the Vrod, though down on performance (though this years model should be alot closer with the 1700cc motor) it by far a more comfortable bike to ride and does awsome 1-2 rolling burnouts! LMAO that was some fun.
Ive had the pleasure of riding a Fatboy, vulcan 750 (virago ish), virago 1100, Vrod and Roadstar. There really is not much different between them all. All have limited ground clearance (but its a cruiser so who cares), the Vrod has awsome power, but the others are not bad, harleys will definetly vibrate you to numbness while the others will pamper you. If I where buying a cruiser however I'd ask myself 2 questions.....
1) am i going to take long trips??
2) or do i plan on posin??

If your taking long trips i recommend a japanese bike, far more refined and way more reliable. If I want to make short trips,fit in, or have a power cruiser I would look at one of the following
Vrod,rune,roadstar,vulcan 2000, or even the new triumph 2300 thingy also if your only going to be an around towner go with what you like, personally one of my favorite bikes is the Road King I'd own one in a heart beat.

Also bear in mind harleys do not make bad road runners, i know lots of guys who put an easy 30,000 miles a year touring the country.

#24 ·
The VRod is cool, but it's not a 2 up bike. Solo only.

If you want to be different, get the new Triumph 2300 Rocket, or whatever it's called. I think they will be available in 04. Other than that, I'd look at the Road Star Warrior.

Or be like like everybody else and get a Harley. They are nice bikes. Alot of people like to bash them, yet there are a million of them out there. I have never ridden one, but they can't be that bad for the money, except maybe a Sporster.

Just my .02.

Mike

#25 ·
Seems to be some negative vibes around the HD products on this post. I've owned 3 Harleys in the past 10 years. My '99 Road King has to be my favorite. As far as "cruisers" go...it does a great job at cruising and touring. It also has a certian character I have not found in many of the metric cruisers I've riden over the years. Dont get me wrong, the new metric cruisers are all fine machines...I just like the look, ride,feel, handleing, quality, character...etc that my Road King has. The HD's i have owned all have been solid investments as well. Never lost money on any of them. That landscape is changing somewhat...but still a decent investment for a motorcycle. Good luck on your decision, but as far as Harley's go...I think they are great "Cruising" motorcycles with a rich heritage.
Just my .02.

#26 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: cruiser

RickC1957 said:
Question still stands...."Why pay 18K for a 9K bike:confused "

Nielsen has a brand new 2002 Interceptor with hard luggage for @ 9K
Point is....once again.....I can GET TWO bikes, for the price of one VROD.....that's 2 like the number two......two bikes are better than 1 like the number one. I hope that every middle aged yuppie keeps the over inflating the value of HD, just to be a bad boy, just makes every Japanese bike more affordable, brit and Eye- talian bikes too.

Am I the only one who knows that the Rune weighs close to 900 lbs:confused What the hell was Honda thinking:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.