Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

OOPS, I did it again

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cherrypicker 
#1 ·
Well, I lost my track virginity and unfortunately my track crashing virginity. Nothing serious, I just got a false neutral going into turn 5 (at BHF by the way) and I guess lack of experience made me stand the bike up a little. I ran off in the grass and tried to keep it upright but I ran out of room and the tire wall was getting real big so I ended up losing the front. Just scratched up the plastic, nothing broke. I picked up the bike and pushed it behind the wall and a yellow never even had to be thrown. I'm not sure anyone even knew because I couldn't see a cornerworker from there. But even after all that I had a blast and learned a LOT. If I could have cleaned up the bike and got re-teched I would have gone back out for the final session but a shower and AC seemed like a good idea.

Nice to meet a bunch of CLSB people up there.

#2 ·
First of all, it was nice to see you out there, too, bluebusa. Secondly, DAMN, a lot of people went off the track and/or crashed this past weekend, but I guess that's to be expected at the track, eh? Glad yours wasn't bad. :)

#3 ·
maks said:
First of all, it was nice to see you out there, too, bluebusa. Secondly, DAMN, a lot of people went off the track and/or crashed this past weekend, but I guess that's to be expected at the track, eh? Glad yours wasn't bad. :)
Sorry to hear of your off. But no, I don't think crashing should be expected when you go to a track day. If it is, we're doing something drastically wrong. Accidents happen, but crashing shouldn't be expected. I know one of the last BHF NESBA days there wasn't one bike that touched down--that's how it should be.

Sorry to twist your words Max, probably not what you meant.

#4 ·
Jack said:
Sorry to twist your words Max, probably not what you meant.
Not quiiiiite, Jack, but it's all good. I didn't mean everyone should expect to crash, just that run-offs and an occasional crash (uh, weren't there like 4?) shouldn't be viewed as uncommon at a track day. Did that still sound bad? :D

#6 ·
It happens to the best eventually. I had to make some nice saves to stay on the track yesterday myself. I was out to he edge on turn 4 several times.

I also figured out that without GP shifting (reversed pattern) shifting for turn 5 was not a good idea (toe dragging o nthe pavement is bad) I just pegged the rev limiter in 2nd instead and either held it there or grabbed 3rd for just a split second.

#7 ·
Like Jack said I did several things drastically wrong. It takes this sort of environment to point out your deficiencies.

Cherrypicker,I figured a GSXR1K had enough torque to pull third through that turn and not have to hit the rev limiter. And I don't think my yellow ass leans far enough to drag anything.:laughing

#9 ·
bluebusa60544 said:
Like Jack said I did several things drastically wrong. It takes this sort of environment to point out your deficiencies.

Cherrypicker,I figured a GSXR1K had enough torque to pull third through that turn and not have to hit the rev limiter. And I don't think my yellow ass leans far enough to drag anything.:laughing
I just saw you hit a false neutral going into 5. You should have enough overrev to possibly even leave it in 2nd from turn 3 all the way until you're exiting 6 and have the bike upright.

You also could not shift altogether and leave it in 3rd all the way around. I only use 2,3,4 on my 600.

A good tiem ot mess around with new things like this is during the last couple sessions. I foudn it better to slow down the pace and work on 1 or 2 things specifically. I usually make my fast laps in the 3rd and 4th session. After that I'm too tired mentally and physically to keep pushing at that level.

Anyway... live and learn

I know I sure as hell have a lot of area for imporvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.