Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

New Garage Info

479 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bmoney 
G
#1 ·
I'm planning on tearing down my 1 car garage and building a 2 car garage. I'm wondering where I should go to get a quote on a new garage. Is there a company that sells different styles, or has a catologe I can flip through? I'm also going to need a whole new concrete floor layed down. Who, and where do I go for all this info? Anyone I should avoid?

Any ideas guys/gals?

:cheers

#3 ·
You got it Kim!

If i can offer you a piece of advice... Have someone you KNOW do your foundation. Put in a drain pipe inconspicously running out in the yard or whatever you can with drainage pipe. Do this properly;) . Lay the foundation with a SLIGHT pitch to the drain you just put in. Now make sure there is a recess/quick drop into the drain and put a piece of metal over the drain. Now put a thin coat of skimcoat or cement and fill in your drain. (remember the metal?) Have them build your garage for ya paint the floor and let the inspector inspect the work.

Then tap out the location of your drain and break out the thin concrete and walla. wash your bike/car whatever in your garage. Just put soapy water down the drain. When you go to sell the place either cement it in completely or skim it again. ;) :D

By the way this is illegal! So admit to nothing onboard just talking here;) :laughing

G
#4 ·
Labdog said:
You got it Kim!

If i can offer you a piece of advice... Have someone you KNOW do your foundation. Put in a drain pipe inconspicously running out in the yard or whatever you can with drainage pipe. Do this properly;) . Lay the foundation with a SLIGHT pitch to the drain you just put in. Now make sure there is a recess/quick drop into the drain and put a piece of metal over the drain. Now put a thin coat of skimcoat or cement and fill in your drain. (remember the metal?) Have them build your garage for ya paint the floor and let the inspector inspect the work.

Then tap out the location of your drain and break out the thin concrete and walla. wash your bike/car whatever in your garage. Just put soapy water down the drain. When you go to sell the place either cement it in completely or skim it again. ;) :D

By the way this is illegal! So admit to nothing onboard just talking here;) :laughing

hmmmm, why do I have a fealing you are smiling from ear to ear rite now?

#6 ·
#8 ·
Because of the oil and sludge and chemicals that could get into the ground from the vehicles. EPA would have someones ass if they got caught!;)

To do it correctly i believe you have to have a container similar to a grease trap to catch all impurities or some shit like that and have it pumped out and not free drain.

#9 ·
KBOlsen said:
(remembering Saturday afternoon commercials)
Danley... (think it's 1-800-garages or something like that).
My woman deals with Danley for work sometimes and they are the biggest assholes to deal with, and they are not cheap either. I wouldn't go with them at all.

#10 ·
Labdog said:
You got it Kim!

A guy living by my parents got cought, it was a few thousand of dollors fine from the EPA, a neightbor told because of smell and stuff. It was ugly, they had to dig up the whole backyard and the guy HAD to pay for it. It's not worth it dude.

#11 ·
Instead of the drain, just pitch the concrete itself towards the front and middle of the garage on a %-1% grade 0.5.... that should be more than good enough to wash a car and make the water flow toward the middle and down the driveway. Then just notch out a drain hole under the garage door. while still making the surface flat enough for ramps, jacks, etc.

Spend the extra and get a insluated garage door, insulat the exterior walls and install a a natural gas space heater with a thermostat to keep the garage 55-60 all winter long :)

#13 ·
Labdog,
Ah hah, got it. Didn't think about that. My parents drains into a septic tank in their back yard. Could be some issues with too much gas or oil going into that too, probably. Not really an issue with them.
My garage was built by Danley (bought the house with it already built). The construction is decent, but not overly impressive. They kind of did a shady job on the trim around the door frame and the flimsy window they put in!!! It was replaced by me with glass block. I would shop around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.