Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

McGwire Admits Steroid Abuse

2K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Cerk 
#1 · (Edited)
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=9533663

Suck it ESPN...apologists who refuse to admit the obvious.

For the record, when McGwire broke the record in 1998 I left the room in protest and didn't watch...for all the idiots that like to say "we were all duped". It was painfully obvious then and the ongoing denial by some makes it even worse today.

#3 ·
Could this lead to an indictment for lying to Congress? If he was under oath, it should!

#8 ·
Now this is a huge shock to start out 2010. A guy who doubled his muscle size from his minor league cards till his "glory" days. Next your gonna be telling me there never was a show called teletubee's

#13 ·
I'm with Daniel Tosh on this one: "I want my athlete's like my video games. Anything they can do to run faster or jump higher..." :jester

Kat Williams works too ... Prolly NSFW ...

#18 ·
Yep because cheating on your wife or having out of marriage sex is worse than cheating your way to records by taking illegal drugs to do it... Sure :laughing:

I mean.. in the eyes of his wife.. yep.. but in the eyes of golf and baseball? not so much...

Nobody hates Wilt

*edit*
and Pete Rose got screwed. I've said it before.. What he did wasn't this bad.

#20 · (Edited)
Come on guys, he was just a workout warrior. He said he only took small, inconsequential doses to recover from injuries. He hit 49 HRs with a beanpole physique as a rookie. The roids did nothing.

Rose bet on his own team while managing them. That's just as bad and could have potentially affected the game more than a lineup with roided up Thor, Incredible Hulk, and Colossus hitting 600ft homeruns since they still have to hit the ball. It's such a huge conflict of interest. Who's to say he didn't put in a bp pitcher when the game was over and he needed to cover a spread or adjust lineups/rotations based on what he had riding on the game?

#22 ·
Yep they still have to hit the ball. And hitting a 95mph 3" diameter ball moving around in the air from 90' away isnt as easy as it looks.:laughing:

Also they raised the pitching mounds (increases speed supposedly) and developed a tighter wound ball (which makes it fly farther). Both of which were supposed to increase scoring to make the game more exciting for the fans.

#23 ·
Baseball stadiums are relatively tiny now too. Look at the new Yankee Stadium or Astros Stadium, et al.

Steroids definitely help you get the bat around to hit the ball. My first paragraph was very facetious. You still have to hit the ball, but when a 32 ounce bat feels like a wiffle bat to a roider it certainly helps.

Some people think that what Rose did isn't that big of a deal and I couldn't disagree more. I put it right up there with steroids. He shouldn't ever sniff the HOF unless he's paying admission as a visitor. Or give it to him posthumously so he can't benefit from it- since all he wants is the money and deals that goes along with enshrinement.

#24 ·
Yeah, both are pretty bad. As you said, Rose could have fixed many games to win his bets. Yes, he played very hard, but betting, who knows how deep the rabitthole goes. As for the steroids, I think we are screwed. Technology will keep bringing new things into the game that will make things unfair. Just wait till they make bionic arms, or nanites controlling your heart rate and muscles :laughing. Like Mike Goldberg says on UFC "It is all over". I think all the steroid guys will get into the hall of fame because eventually people will see that techno advances will just keep changing the game. People will move away from caring about the numbers and just accept that it will only be entertainment and that things will be different.

#26 ·
The excuse that roids don't help hand eye coridination is retarded.

Yeah, that might be true. But the extra muscle helps you heal faster so you don't wear down half way thru the season. It also turn lines drive outs and bloop singles into home runs...which is what those guys are know for.

#27 · (Edited)
I think pro ball players should be castrated. Testosterone is BAD! Ruins the game! It should be about skill, not muscle or ability to recover.

and on that healing faster thing, can't have that, either. Unfair. Ban doctors and surgeries from baseball too.

#28 ·
oh and since hitting the ball seems to be agreed to be a pretty important component, we also need to ban LASIK and even corrective lenses. These aids turn would be whiffs into hits! Ruins the game!

#29 ·
See, this is what I was getting at, in the past they didn't have access to any of these things. So technically, anyone that had this kind of surgery, or a few different legal vitamins are cheating. As technology evolves, the people evolve, so the eras are very different. I think most will soon realize that comparing the numbers won't mean as much due to these advances and will just accept it and enjoy the game.

#31 ·
I'm not naive and I know the majority of players bend the rules. Weather they use uppers to concentrate or whatever pills to get an advantage. "Playing naked" is what they call it when someone does not use any type of chemical when they play, and supposedly those people are in the vast minority.

I just don't want baseball to turn into the WWF and be a joke. Which is where it would go if it was left unregulated

#32 ·
I'm not naive and I know the majority of players bend the rules. Weather they use uppers to concentrate or whatever pills to get an advantage. "Playing naked" is what they call it when someone does not use any type of chemical when they play, and supposedly those people are in the vast minority.

I just don't want baseball to turn into the WWF. Which is where it would go if it was left unregulated
I think folding chairs would make baseball much more interesting to watch. Or have the 3rd base coach jump in with a flying dropkick. That'd be some thing I could watch. :jester

#34 ·
You can have the exact same hand-eye coordination before steroids as you do after. The extra strength that the steroids gives you will get the bat moving quicker and faster when your hands react to what your eyes are seeing.

Steroids didn't start in the late '80s. Speed and amphetamines were rampant in the game before the '80s too. The pre-"steroid-era" players aren't all completely clean.

#36 ·
There is a HUGE difference between equipment changes and fundementally changing the way the body works...the record books speak to that, quite clearly I might add.

As a guy from a baseball family, a few things really bother me with this whole issue.

1. The notion that we were all 'duped'. I was 18 at the time and walked outside, refusing to watch McGwire's at bat because I knew...if an 18 yr old kid knew, then everyone should have known.

2. The idea that ball players didn't know. Of course they know, and they still do. I can attest to that personally.

3. There is simply no question as to why players juiced, and the role those drugs played. It was not about injury, it was about strength, at least for hitters. The affect is clear, more power...period. For what it's worth, I think aluminum bats should be banned in college as well, because of the power increase they offer.

The whole thing is quite obvious, take a look at the power numbers the last few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.