Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

too busy, but need some help...

1K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Dave13 
#1 ·
Hey bikers,

I've got a '01 R1 that I've had in my garage this winter... I did NOT winterize it (go ahead, throw tomatoes and yell at me...) but I did try to start it every couple weeks or so...Well ofcourse when the weather got nice, I realized I hadnt been keeping up... Long story short, it wont start. I tried charging the battery, but that aint working....worst of all, I dont have a trailer to bring it...
Help? Anyone? I'm in Palos Park, and I'm a med student, so I dont have a lot of time free...I just wanna ride when I do have the time tho.

Any advice/help would be great.

#2 ·
change the plugs, charge the battery and try again

ive never winterized my bike in the 4 years ive owned it, i put it in a storage unit adn forget about it till spring, i do make sure the tank is chock full though

come spring i go get it and its fired right up for me

#3 ·
Battery gots to go.

$60. cheep
$120. not cheep

#4 ·
Is it turning over? If so, try spraying in some starter fluid.

#6 · (Edited)
it wont start isnt very specific....

whats is doing?

clicking and not turning over?
turning over but not firing?
nothing??

most likely its a dead cell and u need a new battery?

plugs?? why? if it ran when he put it away..

btw welcome to the forum :)

#8 ·
Forget it, you are screwed. I'll give you $500 to take it off your hands. No worries, I can do the work myself to get it back in tip top shape.

Reactions: jrock
#9 ·
Nice offer I'll go $750.

We're kidding welcome to the site.

#11 ·
Not mention the crank bearings.Starting a cold motor is by far the worst thing you can do to it.
I don't know who ever came up with that common missconception they should be shot.:2cents:

#24 ·
Hey now, I'm updating you, dont worry.
It wont turn over at all, no click. Its gotta be the battery. Where is the best place to pick one up? Should I just order one?
Man I sound bike-illterate, but I'm not I swear.
I just want to snap my fingers and have it ready to ride!

#30 ·
Holy Crap... You've got 4 posts now :eek: :lmao:

This weekend might just be a good time to get the bike ready. Get a new battery and you'll probably be fine. Check the fluids, brakes, and tires.

Wal-Mart has good prices, but they're not a Yuasa battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.