Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Brisket on the Grill(gas)?

3K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Vcook 
#1 ·
Anyone have a good recipe for a slow cooked brisket on the grill? I realize several of you have smokers, so I'm not interested in recipe I can't use. I'm looking for a real world suggestion on how to best slow cook or smoke a brisket on my weber gas grill.

thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
If it's a decent size grill with multiple burner assemblies, then you can put the brisket on one side, and use a burner on the opposite end. Indirect heat is probably the only way to slow-cook it.

I've never tried a brisket on the grill, but I think the temperature will be the biggest hurdle. Time could be a factor too since you need to cook them for 5-7 hours.

#3 ·
What I know already:

• it will take a long ass time
  • i'll only use 1 of my 3 burners probably

what I need to know:
  • can I use a store bought brisket(jewel, costco, etc)
  • should i dry rub
  • should i go right on the grate or should I use a pan
  • if pan should i cover
  • should I use wet wood chips in a tray to smoke
  • recipe for pan
  • how should i best monitor temp

#10 ·
What I know already:

• it will take a long ass time
  • i'll only use 1 of my 3 burners probably

what I need to know:
  • can I use a store bought brisket(jewel, costco, etc) ---yes
  • should i dry rub---yes, you will fuck up your grill with any wet shit you use since there would be a lot.
  • should i go right on the grate or should I use a pan---on the grate, gives more surface area for smoke to penetrate
  • if pan should i cover-- no
  • should I use wet wood chips in a tray to smoke--yes see post^^^
  • recipe for pan
  • how should i best monitor temp---1.25 hrs per pound at 220 works awesome. temp it too check at the end of cooking time. should be right around 185 and will have carry over cook temp of 190ish

#4 ·
There are a lot of them on the net, but for a gas grill I would think one would have to use indirect heat to keep the temp low enough (185ish for 4-6 hrs or more depending on size), flipping and basting after an hour then basting every 30 mins after that.

#8 ·
I've done pot roasts this way (8lbs)... should be the same type of setup for brisket, but it's a tad thinner.. which is why you would probably want to baste it more. A good plump roast can be allowed to get dry on the outside as the inside will stay moist. Not so with a brisket.

#7 ·
slow cook would be around 220 degrees. Time is 1.25hrs per pound. I like sktrs idea about one burner on one side and the meat on the other side. For smoke get an aluminum pie pan and put three hot charcoals in it with the wood you wanna use for smoke and set it in the grill.

#12 · (Edited)
i generally only use smoke 50% of cook time but thats up to your taste liking. only need to smoke the wood for 30mins to an hour.

#13 ·
use one of those thermometers for the inside of your oven. just set it right on the rack although the lid therm is not off by far. make sure and play with the temp before you start so will know exactly where to set the dial.

#14 · (Edited)
Keep in mind, if I remeber correctly, when you buy brisket at Jewel, etc.. They only sell the flat in the pre-packages. you gotta hit the butcher to get the flat and the bottom. The bottom has more fat content and is more moist but can be stringy at times, especially if not cooked right. Although getting a full brisket yo are lookin at at least 8lbs.

edit: I have never used used one of those small flats. I would decrease the cooking time to 45mins per pound and go from there.

#15 ·
oh and pm ur addy, ill bring the beer ;)

#20 ·
Something to consider when testing the grill temperature settings. Once you put the brisket on the grill, this will drop the temperature of the grill. Not just by opening the lid and letting heat out, but the food itself will drop the temp. I experienced this over the weekend, was grilling some ribs on indirect, and was having a hard time getting the temp to get below 300, but once I put the ribs on, it dropped the temp on the same setting by 25 degree. Just FYI.

#27 ·
175-225 degrees. No more. Get a meat thermometer and check it that way till it's done. Soak some wood chips for a few hours and put them in a tinfoil pouch (or buy a smoker box). Poke some holes in the top of the tin foil. The mean really absorbs the most smoke in the first 2 hours of cooking. After that, there is little benefit. Indirect heat as mentioned. If you can't keep the grill at a temp that low, then get a piece of wood and prop open the grill cover to work it out as needed. Get an old pie tin as well. Fill it with water and put in there as well to keep the brisket moist. Get the Steven Raichlen books off BBQU.net or watch the shows. There is a great store in the Evanston area "The Backyard BBQ" store. They have classes from time to time and special guest hosts. They have all the good knowledge and grilling accessories that you need. Then while your up there go to the Spice House and get all of your rub ingredients there. They have fresh and fabulous spices you won't find anywhere else. Experiment with different woods as well. They all add a different flavor.

#28 ·
<------- is the brisquit master. but have not done it in a grill, hence why I have 2 smokers at the moment. I'm busty at work but I'll type this up realy quick, its dirty and spelling is horrible but you'll get the idea. I'm also working on a web page dedicated to this already but its not done.

but if your wanting to try it, heres what your going to want to do.

go to costo and get yourself a brisquit flat. it's a good way to start, you dont need a "whole" you dont need a whole at this point.

take it home, rub it down with mustard, and spices. the spices are up to you and theres plenty of recipes on the web. I buy mine from a spice shop in galena.

wrap it up in aluminum foil and throw it in the fridge over night on a thursday night. on friday run over to gander mountian or maybe ace hardware and get yourself a bag of hickory chunks. they are usually forsale near the charcoal. you will soak these in a bucket full of water for a few hours before cooking commences. also buy yourself a wireless meat thermometer.

now friday night, around 9pm get yourself a few beers, a bag of chips, and some ranch dip, cause it's gonna be a looooong night.

take brisquit out of fridge and unwrap, insert meat thermometer to center of thickest portion of meat and put meat on grill. constant temp of grill should be about 225-230. no higher!

using a grill will be tricky, especilly a gas one, make sure you have an extra tank handy, your going to be cooking for roughly 1.25 to 1.75 hours per pound depending on internal temperatures. with a 10 lb brisqiut you do the math. thats a lot of gas. get that bad boy to one side of the grill and get yourself a metal pan to put wood chunks in, that will go on the heat side of the grill. do not use aluminum foil grilling pans for this, it will desinigrate after that many hours.

also se the timer on your phone and sleep on the couch, I want you up every 1.75-2 hours to flip the brisquit and brush it down with some melted butter mixed with a bit of brown sugar and rub spices.

lets talk meat temperature, there will be a point in the night probably around 4am where you will think you are going nuts, cause the internal temp has not moved and in fact may have dropped a bit, this is normal as all the fat is melting inside the meat. just be patient and the temp will start climbing again.

Once this beast gets to 200 degrees, internal temp, take it of wrap it up in foil nice and thick, then some old beach towels and stick it in a cooler to rest. heck I even throw an old pillow on top just to insulate it even more. let that puppy rest for a about 3 hours. or untill the internal temp comes down to about 170ish

now you can take it inside, unwrap it and unveil it to your adoring fans.

Serving, some people like to slice it, some like to pull it. my entire neighborhood likes when I take 2 forks and shred it for sandwiches. I shred the whole damn thing and stick it in the crockpot to keep it warm or serving. and yes the whole neighborhood knows it's brisquit day as they can smell my smoker going all night, by the time lunch on saturday hits, they are starving and standing by my front door.

#33 ·
Tony, have you tried mustard crusted prime rib??? :mouth_water:

#34 ·
Tony, even with the flats being thin, the cooking time per pound is still the same???

#38 ·
yup pretty much, it will be a little less obviously, dont worry so much about the cooking time, you want to go more by the internal temperature. the cooking time per pound is just a guideline.

#36 ·
busty at work...yes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.