Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Wires and aftermarket bodywork

1K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  eE jeremy 
#1 ·
What do you guys do with the wires when you take off the headlight? The SV had all the wires tucked into the headlight housing. I can ziptie them in place, but i'm worried about the connectors getting wet. Should I just tape up the connectors and let the wires hang? Right now I tucked the wires into a tupperware container that I cut up and duct taped :laughing:

#15 · (Edited)
On my SV, I use a numberplate bracket that Pilotx1 fabed up for me. Then I zip tied and taped all the wires to it. Looks clean, and works fine. If I were worried about protection fron water, I would raid the kitchen for a piece of plastic wrap and tape all of that to the bracket.

This is the bracket Pilotx1 made for Tea. It uses less material and works perfect. She uses this numberplate when she borrows my SV for CCS. As you can see, it attatches to the frame via the fairing bracket.

If you need more info or something better than an iPhone pic, let me know. Hope this helps. If you have Jason make one for you, ask for the style Tea has. Her "2.0.1" version is pimp. My "beta" version works perfect, but the 2.0.1 version looks super clean. Jason will know what you are talking about if you order a numberplate bracket 2.0.1 version for a SV.

#17 ·
^^^
Its function over form. Harden the f#ck up!

Also Jason found a little plastic container thing that looks like a little bank teller thing at a drive thru bank. I could stuff all my wires in there, then zip tie that to the bracker for a neater look, but this works fine.

#22 ·
then just tie the extra wires into a bundle and tuck em in the bodywork somewhere

if youre worried about rain fill the connectors with di-electric grease adn put em in a balloon or you could fill em with silicone caulk from both sides

while i do store my 600 in the garage when its not at the track it will get wet from time to time, ie: trailering and a rare rainy track session i have open unused plugs that i havent done anything to and have no plans to do anything to them either be it bagging or filling them

#26 ·
Group together, individually crimp the ends, wrap with shrinkwrap, wrap entire assembly in electrical tape, wrap again with shrinkwrap, dip in WD40, wrap again with Saran wrap, cover in Jewel plastic bag, dip again in WD40, stuff assembly in large condom, coat with undercarriage sealant, drill hole in frame, place assembly in frame, fill frame with Great Stuff, seal completely with JB Weld and silicone. Done. Or just zip tie the mofos up. :laughing:

#31 ·
I went and bought balloons at the party store. Slide them over the small wires and zip tie. Take the ends of the others, put them in a zip lock bag. Zip tie on.

#42 ·
You have 24 hours of my finger hovering over the neggers button. Don't make me do it! :laughing: Im thinking the SV will become a track bike, and interested in the details of your bodywork. I have a tail I'm happy with, just need to put together the rest of it.

#47 ·
i like the color

I'm thinking the SV will be a rain track bike/backup bike and I'd like to find something else as a primary bike for the track.
i dont like the idea of having 2 ddifferent bikes for track days, consistency is key for riding well, 2 SV's with different suspension setup one being rain(softer more compliant suspension) and dry(crisper setup)
and i wont ride track days in the rain anyways, not worth the risks for me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.