Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

So why did you start racing?

2K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  Germany 
#1 ·
So i thought after Nick's thread, I thought someone should ask why did you start racing?

This last July CCS Blackhawk round was my first shot at racing. I've been doing trackdays since 2004 and to tell the truth, I never thought I would put myself at the level of risk that racing could provide. But after becoming a NESBA Advanced rider and CR, I wanted to see how I fared against others in a real racing environment. Riding in our advanced group is very challenging with the level of racing talent mixed in and I felt that I needed something to boost my motivation to get faster. Yes I could turn lap after lap at our advanced pace but when it came to making really aggressive passes and riding with a sense of urgency, I found that racing was the perfect place to learn and take my riding to another level. Basically I wanted to improve my skills without the fatigue of CRing and the restriction of "polite" passing. And boy did racing help. I've been turning my fastest laps ever since and my confidence in my skills is higher than its ever been. I'm still not the fastest but I enjoy putting my head down and chasing the faster guys now. The advanced sessions that I ride now are time for me to practice my race craft and I've found a new motivation to ride every one that I can so that I can be better prepared for the next time I race. I'm not sure what this new race addiction will lead to but my main goals for now are self improvement and having fun.

See less See more
#33 · (Edited)
After 4 years of track days, I went and watched the last CCS round @ BHF in Sept. of '07. For years, people had been telling me that I should try the whole racing thing; I honestly replied that I wasn't interested or ready, but that if I ever became so, I would take the old M and GO! Well, when I went to those races and saw another rider (who I was generally faster than) wrap up 4 amatuer championships, I was hooked, and started preparing immediately for the next race season. Of course, there is way more to racing than just being fast...

Anyway, my top 5 reasons for racing (out of about 100 or so...):

5. Trophies. You cannot win a trackday. You can win a race. Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the first time you get wood. You came, you kicked ass, you are on Cloud 9, and you get to bring a memento home that you can look at the rest of your life. Who doesn't want a trophy??

4. Because it's quantifiable. (Qualifiable?) OK, because it's definite. As in, you know exactly how you really stack up. Everyone starts and finishes at the same time, and you know exactly how fast you really are in the end. If you win, you're the fastest guy. Simple. And, your lap times and finishes are all posted up somewhere on the net for all to see; no b.s., just the facts, please.

3. Intensity, intensity, intensity. Everyone talks about actual track time, but let me assure you, run 4 or so classes (which, incidentally, costs roughly the same as a trackday weekend), and you will definitely feel like you got your money's worth. Between prep, maintenance, strategizing, and a million other little details you'll have to tend to, and then the exhilaration of the actual races themselves, you wouldn't believe how involving the whole experience is. And that's the thing: racing is a whole different experience. Since I started, I kind of think of trackdays as just "play" or "pretend" racing. Now, hear me out. (I'm a big fan of track days, BUT...) Go to a track day (or 60), ride around, race your buddy, work on your skills, figure stuff out, skip a session or two, or maybe go home when it rains, no biggie. On the other hand, go racing, and now, if you want to be competitive, you'll really learn about things like tires, suspension, technique, etc, because you'll have to. Moreover, you don't sit anything out. Bike broken? Maybe you crashed in that last race? You can bet your bippy you're hustling your ass off to make that next race, 'cause it's the real deal. Yes, you can definitely approach trackdays with the same attitude, but it just isn't the same. You gotta trust me on this...

3 (a.) Bang for the buck. See above; dollar for dollar, I'd much rather race than do a track day. This is wholly personal, but I find the race experience much more challenging overall, and thus commensurately more rewarding.

2. Much like many fellow trackday riders, racers are cool, only more so.

1. Because I can do it, and 99.9999999% of the poulation can't, or won't. And this makes me special. Not special in a bad way, not better than anyone, and for sure I don't actually think I'm fast. Fast is relative, because there is always someone faster. Nope, rather, I'm special because I'm doing something that very few people would even consider, on my terms, and I'm doing it as best I can. It's made me a better, more disciplined, and I daresay more interesting person, and I feel like I'm really getting the most out of the one life I've been given, at least for now. (Maybe I'll get around to something a bit more philanthropic? Something to aspire to..) After all, what is the point of life if you aren't living? And I never feel quite as alive as when I'm out there with my fellow gladiators doing battle. I know that sounds cheesy, but so be it. I'm still special..

Anyway, that's my top 5. Let me say this: I would never pressure someone to go racing. There are probably 1000 or so legitimate reasons against racing versus my 100 reasons for it. It's a very personal decision, and I respect that. However, you'll never be able to honestly express a valid opinion about it until you try it. Like I said, trackdays are great, and very few people do them as well, but racing is the next logical step. If you want to take that step, do better, go faster, and meet even more excellent dudes and dudettes, I highly recommend it.

And, it will definitely make you faster....

#34 ·
After 4 years of track days, I went and watched the last CCS round @ BHF in Sept. of '07. For years, people had been telling me that I should try the whole racing thing; I honestly replied that I wasn't interested or ready, but that if I ever became so, I would take the old M and GO! Well, when I went to those races and saw another rider (who I was generally faster than) wrap up 4 amatuer championships, I was hooked, and started preparing immediately for the next race season. Of course, there is way more to racing than just being fast...

Anyway, my top 5 reasons for racing (out of about 100 or so...):

5. Trophies. You cannot win a trackday. You can win a race. Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the first time you get wood. You came, you kicked ass, you are on Cloud 9, and you get to bring a memento home that you can look at the rest of your life. Who doesn't want a trophy??

4. Because it's quantifiable. (Qualifiable?) OK, because it's definite. As in, you know exactly how you really stack up. Everyone starts and finishes at the same time, and you know exactly how fast you really are in the end. If you win, you're the fastest guy. Simple.

3. Intensity, intensity, intensity. Everyone talks about actual track time, but let me assure you, run 4 or so classes (which, incidentally, costs roughly the same as a trackday weekend), and you will definitely feel like you got your money's worth. Between prep, maintenance, strategizing, and a million other little details you'll have to tend to, and then the exhilaration of the actual races themselves, you wouldn't believe how involving the whole experience is. And that's the thing: racing is a whole different experience. Since I started, I kind of think of trackdays as just "play" or "pretend" racing. Now, hear me out. (I'm a big fan of track days, BUT...) Go to a track day (or 60), ride around, race your buddy, work on your skills, figure stuff out, skip a session or two, or maybe go home when it rains, no biggie. On the other hand, go racing, and now, if you want to be competitive, you'll really learn about things like tires, suspension, technique, etc, because you'll have to. Moreover, you don't sit anything out. Bike broken? Maybe you crashed in that last race? You can bet your bippy you're hustling your ass off to make that next race, 'cause it's the real deal. Yes, you can definitely approach trackdays with the same attitude, but it just isn't the same. You gotta trust me on this...

3 (a.) Bang for the buck. See above; dollar for dollar, I'd much rather race than do a track day. This is wholly personal, but I find the race experience much more challenging overall, and thus commensurately more rewarding.

2. Much like many fellow trackday riders, racers are cool, only more so.

1. Because I can do it, and 99.9999999% of the poulation can't, or won't. And this makes me special. Not special in a bad way, not better than anyone, and for sure I don't actually think I'm fast. Fast is relative, because there is always someone faster. Nope, rather, I'm special because I'm doing something that very few people would even consider, on my terms, and I'm doing it as best I can. It's made me a better, more disciplined, and I daresay more interesting person, and I feel like I'm really getting the most out of the one life I've been given, at least for now. (Maybe I'll get around to something a bit more philanthropic? Something to aspire to..) After all, what is the point of life if you aren't living? And I never feel quite as alive as when I'm out there with my fellow gladiators doing battle. I know that sounds cheesy, but so be it. I'm still special..

Anyway, that's my top 5. Let me say this: I would never pressure someone to go racing. There are probably 1000 or so legitimate reasons against racing versus my 100 reasons for it. It's a very personal decision, and I respect that. However, you'll never be able to honestly express a valid opinion about it until you try it. Like I said, trackdays are great, and very few people do them as well, but racing is the next logical step. If you want to take that step, do better, go faster, and meet even more excellent dudes and dudettes, I highly recommend it.

And, it will definitely make you faster....

Great answer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.