Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Dog owners I need advise on dog walkers and weekend sitters.

2K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  IceCold81 
#1 ·
Well being a single parent of 2 big dogs is taking it's toll on my work and social life. I really can't and shouldn't rely on family or friends. I am by myself now which means I must get back home every 6 hours to let them use the bathroom. Not to mention I can't be gone for a single night let alone go away for a weekend!!

I love them to death I can't even bare the thought of someone being mean to them. I don't know any of the neighbors around where I am living to ask this.

So I need to find a service or someone on here that does not have dogs cause I don't want my dogs to deal with other dogs if I did a weekend away.

I want there best care in mind. But funds are tight right now.

Any ideas and I am in Plainfield if there is a service to look into and what do I look forin them when choosing??

Thanks, signed Land Locked

#6 ·
If you can't find someone, putting them on a set feeding time/amount will help them establish a shitting pattern that you can then work around. Just adjust the feeding time forward/backwards to make the shitting align up with your schedule. Also, if you keep your place relatively comfortable, you can limit the amount of water (or none at all) that is around to make them less prone to pissing throughout the day. Most dogs like to just sleep (and sometimes pout) when there's nothing to eat or drink around and no one to play with.

#7 ·
It's there normal internal clock. Pebbles needs that more then stone. Pebbles will shit if she really has to go. All there life either me or the exwife was home. Well now it's just
me.

Lori it's like impossible to go on a weekend trip somehwere cause hotels I can't find most places font take dogs and about the only shit you can do is go camping.
Sometimes I just wanna enjoy one day or one weekend a month doing what I want and knowing there ok. They are always on my mind I love em so much. It's just really tough now with two large dogs that are sweet as babyies but since it's a pitbull and a rott well every hotel is lime fuck no!! And places I normally go don't allow dogs period. So I gotta find places I can which also why I ask....what can we go out and do as with my lil family unit of dogs. Lol

#10 ·
Ken to hit on the hotel topic you need to look at all hotels cause most if not all allow them even the biggest hotels like Marriott allow them. I travel every two weeks and never have a issue getting a room that allow the dogs.

Econolodge, fairfield etc allow dogs. there is also a dog site that searches for the hotels that allow dogs

#14 ·
Typically you can't leave the dog in the hotel while you are out, though. You have to plan on vactationing with the pooches. I can leave Timber behind at La Quintas, to run out and get takeout or something. Plus she doesn't bark too much or tear things up. It's all about how your dogs behave. You also might have issues since they are pits.

#12 · (Edited)
Just a thought about hotels and dogs. There is some situations where this is a must and could work well; however, if the purpose of the trip is to get away and one will be engaged in activities that will not be suitable for the dogs, maybe it is not the best idea to bring them in the first place. My reasoning for this is that the dogs would be much more comfortable at home then being cooped up and stressed out in a hotel room by themselves.

Just food for thought.

#15 ·
Just a thought about hotels and dogs. There is some situations where this is a must and could work well; however, if the purpose of the trip is to get away and one will be engaged in activities that will not be suitable for the dogs, maybe it is not the best idea to bring them in the first place. My reasoning for this is that the dogs would be much more comfortable at home then being cooped up and stressed out in a hotel room by them selves.

Just food for thought.
why leave them in the room? I take mine every where. Secondly dogs are much more adaptable then humans and will be just fine unless you just have a nut case of a dog.

Niki doesnt care where shes at as long as there is a GIANT water dish and her ball she carries every where

Tee she just wants to chill doesnt matter where. Heck she rather be in the truck then in the house any day

#20 ·
http://www.noraspetsitting.com/

We used Nora a few years back when our schedules didn't allow adaquate time with the dog and were happy with her service. She came to our place, walked the dog, made sure she had water and played with her for a few minutes before leaving. She'd be there about 15 minutes each visit.

Plus, Nora is better looking than the name suggests.

#21 ·
just my 2 cts on the peeing and pooping schedule of 6 hours, read up on crate training, it does wonders to their schedule.
I was totally against it, but read a lot about it, talked to my breeder, to other dog people and finally am convinced that this is what they need and want.
I have 2 relatively big Belgian Sheepdogs and they are crated whenever I leave the house more than approx 2 hours.
Dogs love their crates because it conforms to their natural living habits (wolves for example try to find small caves to stay in during their resting periods). They do not soil the place where they sleep, so the crate is always clean, no peeing, no poops under any circumstances - except they are sick or on medication.
So, while I am at work they are in their crates for more than 10 hours and we are doing this for many years now, no issues ever.
At times I work at home, and the dogs go to their crates even then, I don't lock them but they just stay there on their own, it's their house so to say.

As for weekends away I hate to bring my dogs to a kennel, but found a person through another dog friend who stays at my house while I'm gone. I know there are home and pet sitting services available but they are pricey. friends or family if you pay them is always the best option. And if you are only away for one night, a dog walker might be an option too if the dogs are crated.

Oops long post, sorry.

#22 ·
I'm in the same exact boat as you Ken... Two pit bulls (one dog aggressive), no friends or family nearby to help and I'm single. They pretty much run my life, since I don't leave them in their crates for more than 10 hours. Which means I'm stuck at home every night after work because they have been locked up all day. I just don't feel right about having them crated for 10 hours, coming home, letting them out and leaving again for 5 hours. I've done it a couple times when I had no choice and felt really bad about it. Plus, when I tell them to go right back in their crates, they look at me like, fuck you! :laughing:

I used to have a friend that would take them, but she got a dog about a year ago, so I can't use her anymore.

Being single, I would just love to pack up and go away for a weekend, but that's not possible.

#27 ·
1. I had to start crate training my dogs when I split with my ex. I don't like the idea of it and try to keep them out as much as possible, but they can stay in there for 12 hours or more without a problem if needed.

2. There is a place on Rt. 30 called Central Bark that is pretty good for boarding.

3. Both of my weims have their CGC certificates (canine good citizen). Sometimes hotels that don't allow pets will make an exception.

#29 ·
this is why i ate my dog. i got sick of taking his ass out to shit and piss.

#33 ·
Yo buddy, once I get into my house in the next 2 months or so id have no problem watching em for a weekend for ya. Little bit of a drive for ya I know but I go to the dog park every day with my dog and just cant imagine life without my pup now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.