Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Question for the EMTs

700 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  taledarkside 
#1 ·
If EMS arrives on the scene of someone who is DOA are they required to take that person to the hospital for analysis or can they take that DOA person straight to the morgue?

A freind of the family was at a holloween party at the Hilton downtown last night and her friend fell off a banister down like 4 stories. The friend of the family said they were waiting at the hospital and the ambulance never showed up. Supposedly they took her right to the morgue. Is this standard protocol?

#5 ·
Thanks Danny. I'd like to read that protocol. I figured since the EMTs aren't doctors they weren't allowed to pronounce her dead. I was always under the impression that a doctor had to pronounce that. Like even my grandma died in her sleep and they brought her into the hospital to pronounce her.

#3 ·
Yikes - Sorry to hear of this Nick - Prayers out to her family

#4 ·
#7 ·
Maybe, if you fall 4 stories, it's an easy call.:( Just sayin'.

My condolences to the friends and family.

#8 ·
The EMTs call their resource hospital & request permission from the doctor over the radio to take the patient to the morgue.
They have to decribe the criteria for DOA @ the scene to get this permission.
Some of these are decapitation,rigor mortis,incineration, massive brain trauma, stillbirth.

The only time a doctor has to pronounce the patient DOA is when the paramedics/EMTs make the decision to start CPR. In that case the patient is considered salvagable until the doctor deems he/she is not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.