Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Harley plant in India?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  SickR6 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
"What we are doing is made in USA, assembled in India,..."

What?

I'm not into manufacturing, but how is it profitable to build the parts (allegedly) in the US, and ship them to India (or any other country) for assembly? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just ship complete bikes to a dealer network rather than build an assembly plant?

#6 ·
did you read the article?
"Beyond the obvious market potential there is another major reason Harley-Davidson is building an assembly plant in India -- to bring down India's import duties which right now are so high Indian consumers pay double for fully assembled imported vehicles. Exporting just the parts to India could lower the import duty tariffs by around 80 percent according to Prakash."

That said why wouldn't it be cheaper to package engines and other parts on pallets and send them that way - I would think they can package much more efficiently and with less shipping damage that way - not to mention the fact that local labor in india might be a tad cheaper than union labor in the states

#8 ·
India has the highest import taxes for goods in the world. Their way of thinking is that if they can get manufacturers to do exactly what HD is doing they can provide jobs for their people. It works. HD is investing in their country to expand HD's market and make the product more affordable to the Indian consumer and NOT actually sending jobs there because all the parts will still be made here. Those bikes will not be sent back here and sold here, they are strictly meant for the Indian and possibly the greater Asian market.
It's a good move for all involved.

#9 ·
gents. If you speak to any Indian over here. they would tell you that those bikes are not for an Indian market as roads are so fucked up it will be impossible to ride then there. At least that is what I am told by those that call India home.

Most bikes over there are 250 and 450. Later been a majority. It is just a way to sell it to us on why it is moved there.

#11 ·
Yes and no.
There is a market for such cruisers but the engine size has to be small to suit Indian roads and also for better fuel efficiency.
The middle to upper class is growing in India and is looking to spend.
People there already have fascination with motorcycles. Those who can afford the import tax do own Hayabusas, CBRs and other superbikes.
My dad had a Royal Enfield and bro had a Kawi back home in the 80s and 90s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.