Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Sooooo glad I dumped Comcast!!

2K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  HDTony 
#1 ·
http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/petition_netflix/?source=typ-fb&referring_akid=.941804.-XXOBF

BACKGROUND

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski will announce this week whether he'll fulfill President Obama's promise to protect the open Internet and Net Neutrality. And the New York Times reported last night [Read more]:

Level 3 Communications, a central partner in the Netflix online movie service, accused Comcast on Monday of charging a new fee that puts Internet video companies at a competitive disadvantage.

Level 3, which helps to deliver Netflix’s streaming movies, said Comcast had effectively erected a tollbooth that “threatens the open Internet,” and indicated that it would seek government intervention...

Net neutrality, which posits that Internet traffic should be free of any interference from network operators like Comcast, is thought to be on the December agenda of the Federal Communications Commission.

...under pressure from Comcast, “Level 3 agreed to the terms, under protest, in order to ensure customers did not experience any disruptions,” Mr. Stortz said...Mr. Stortz implied that Comcast was taking the action to impair companies that compete with its own cable and Internet services.

Bottom line: If this new fee isn't paid, Comcast will block Netflix. Sign the petition telling the FCC to stop this type of abuse -- and protect Net Neutrality.

God forbid anyone get their movies or video from anyone besides comcast.

#7 ·
yeah, combination of Hulu and NetFlix called XFINITY.

And they bought Hulu as well.

#10 ·
I hate Comcast as well, but the articles that surfaced regarding this *may* not be entirely accurate. I spent a few minutes reading about this today, but still don't fully understand it (need to spend more time). Here's a thread on Reddit about it and a clip that explains why it isn't Comcast trying to block Netflix.

First of all, understand that Level 3 is a [kind of] ISP [a giant company with a massive infrastructure] just like Comcast. This isn't the Pirate Bay getting throttled down. This is an opposed giant company who plays the exact same kinds of games as Comcast and has the same savvy and the same ultimate incentives around getting its way.

Secondly, understand that ISPs [and other companies involved in internet infrastructure] craft agreements for using each other's pipes. Both companies own a ton of internet cable, and it helps both to share in order to serve their respective customers most efficiently.

This sharing is known as peering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering) and it's common that companies have agreements about what is mutually agreeable.

Level 3 just signed an agreement with Netflix like two weeks ago to become a primary provider for their streaming service. This changes the balance of their peering agreement with Comcast substantially in terms of how much bandwidth is going to be passing through Comast's pipes on Level 3's behalf.

Comcast is allegedly seeking a "new fee," but this is equivocation from Level 3. They are seeking a new agreement that is the same kind of agreement they had before but with new terms to balance things back out. So there is a "new fee" but it's not shocking or innovative or abusive at all.

Basically, it used to be, "It helps us both equally to share these things under these terms," but the terms just changed big time.

Now Comcast says, "Hey, this isn't fair anymore. We need you to pay us a fee." It has nothing to do with the content of the packets or the source of the packets. It has to do with the volume of the traffic.

The amount of bandwidth they will be delivering over Comcast's pipes will be disproportionate to the bandwidth Comcast delivers through Level 3's pipes.

So that would mean... (the payoff)

If that interpretation is correct, then Level 3 is playing the internet like a violin. They are also disingenuously co-opting the net-neutrality movement and weakening the value of our anger by stoking it when Comcast isn't actually in the wrong for once.
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/edxu4/the_breaking_news_about_comcast_is_just_a_pr/

#16 · (Edited)
i was paying comcast 60 bucks a month, switched to DSl for 14.95 a month. didnt loose any surfing quality.

never again. it's not any business of comcast's who's traffic is being transported via their pipe. whats next? is comcast going to want 10% of amazon.coms sales or 10% of itunes music sales since its going over their last mile network? this is a very slippery slope to an open internet.

the only reason they are doing it the way they are is they would catch hell for just blocking netflix's traffic to try and beat the competition, so its better to go after netflix's service provider and harass them.

#18 ·
Do you need a landline for that? who do you use Tony?

#21 ·
I wish there was another alternative for Comcast. Programming on Uverse just doesn't compare to Comcast. Internet speed is a concern as well. Comcast actually has a competitive speed package at 1.5 mpbs that is cheaper than Uverse's rate. They know they pretty much hold the majority of their customers by the balls so they jack the rates up and do as the please. I used to be able to call in and get a discount but now they straight up tell me that nobody can beat their rates for the services they provide. I wish Uverse would up their game so I could dump Comcrap like the pieces of shits they are.

#24 ·
#28 ·
Couldnt i just do one of those wifi hot spots from att, boost, etc.. for my house and have the mobile capability too?

#32 ·
Funny, I switched from WOW whose internet would take itself out multiple times a day; requiring a hard reset of the cable modem -- to Comcast with higher speeds -- added 2 line phone service (dropped AT&T) -- has been rock solid for the past 90 days without one burp and saved $50 to boot.

They all suck, it just depends on who sucks the least in your particular area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.