Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

High speed HDMI vs Standard speed

4K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  clearwaterms 
#1 ·
Was going to snag a 35ft from monoprice but this could be an issue.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49
Q. What is the difference between a “Standard” HDMI cable and a “High-Speed” HDMI cable?
Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.

Standard (or “category 1”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.
High Speed (or “category 2”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

cables I was browsing thru.

so what do you guys think, is that tru or bs?

#3 · (Edited)
Looks like the main issue is whether or not you are trying to support Dolby TrueHD. I could be wrong but it looks like the major difference between standard and high speed is audio based. It is also a question of whether 1) your device can generate and 2) your display handle, the higher resolutions that high speed was made for.

#5 ·
Looks like the main issue is whether or not you are trying to support Dolby TrueHD. I could be wrong but it looks like the major difference between 1.3 and 1.1 is audio based.

I should increase info on my setup plans.

TV, possible 3d upgrade.

Cable is to go between receiver and the TV

The receiver will maintain my sources.

#9 ·
i have my ps3(hdmi), dvd(hdmi) and antenna(coax) plugged into tv and then a optical from tv to receiver. this allows me to listen thru tv for quite times and then kick on the house shaker for....... well shaking the house

#20 ·
I have HDMI from my 360 elite to my TV, HDMI from my TV to my receiver, HDMI to my popbox from the TV, components to an old combo progressive scan dvd plyr / vhs plyr, S - vid to Khammi's kiddie game, VGA to the laptop, and a mono cable off the front of the onkyo receiver that I can plug an ipod or whatever. I use it to plug the mic port on my laptop to the mic port on the receiver to watch tv online on my tv. Or if I just want tunes plug the droid into the receiver and fire up pandora or youtube.

#21 ·
i dont see anything in the definition regarding 3d, and standard speed cables will do 1080p without issue. If you're worried then it's worth the peace of mind. If it's going to be buried in a wall maybe use some smurf tube so you can easily upgrade/swap at a later date.

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
This is probably it's own thead right here.

What is cheap?

If its a large space and going to be used for family movie nights, I would suggest shying away from the 5.1, it really doesn't benefit you if you don't have proper seating, if people are sitting on the floor / make shift furniture / etc, I would just get two speakers that are large enough to fill the space.

As for S-Video from the DVD player, that will only give you 480i, you want to use at least component (3 wire for picture) to get High Def, or even progressive scan that the DVD player is probably capable of.

As for a cheap receiver, I would look at a Denon or Onkyo Stereo receiver as my source since I am not recommending 5.1 either.

#25 ·
Your middle paragraph is good info, the rest is mostly misinformation.

As already stated running optical audio will limit you to the lossy audio codecs, and if some system actually had a limitation to 2channel only over HDMI running it to your TV wouldn't magically change that.

#26 ·
Like I said.... I'm learning and it's definitely confusing. I can never seem to find a consistent answer.

The book for the Samsung TV states that if its hooked up to a Samsung receiver over HDMI and the "sync" software is running, audio is limited to 2-channels. It's then recommended to run optical cables.

This post has been deleted
#35 ·
I would have to look around - I would look for some indoor / outdoor speakers - Nothing is going to sound good in that space. Its a large ceiling with a bunch of equipment that will cause alot of echo's. That being said, I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on speakers.

I apologize, but can not offer any solid suggestions, because I don't have any personal experience in that area.

#37 ·
k, back to hijack my own thread in a different direction since I got the answer I needed.

Now I needed to ask about picking an in wall speaker wire.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239

Rear set.
POWER HANDLING 85W RMS / 340W Peak

Front Speaker set.
POWER HANDLING 110 w (440 w peak)

Center
POWER HANDLING 150 w (600 w peak)

Receiver
RMS Output Power (1kHz) 90W x 7

Danke for helping!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.