Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Motorcyclist going 157mph crashes and lives

1K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Evil Twin 
#1 ·
SAN TAN VALLEY, Ariz. -- A Tempe 19-year-old is in extremely critical condition after crashing his motorcycle at 157 mph.

It happened just after 2 a.m. Sunday on Gantzel Road in San Tan Valley.

According to Tim Gaffney of the Pinal County Sheriff's Office, a deputy spotted the motorcycle speeding through a 45-mph zone. Using his radar unit, the deputy clocked the bike at 157 mph.

Before the deputy could catch up to the speeding motorcycle, the rider, identified as 19-year-old Noe Marcos Calazo of Tempe, lost control of the 2004 Yamaha on a gradual turn and crashed.

Gaffney said Calazo drove through nearly 350 feet of dirt along the shoulder before slamming into the concrete base of a traffic signal pole. The motorcycle then went airborne, flying nearly 20 feet, stopping only when it hit a wooden SRP pole.

"The motorcycle was nearly disintegrated on impact and Calazo flew an additional 104 feet through the air before striking the ground," Gaffney said in a news release.

Calazo, who was driving on a revoked license, suffered extensive injuries and was air-lifted to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Hospital. At last check, he was in extremely critical condition.

Once he is released from the hospital, Calazo will face charges of aggravated DUI, reckless driving and criminal speeding.

Gaffney said Calazo has a previous arrest on his record for being a minor in possession of alcohol and resisting arrest.
http://www.azfamily.com/outbound-feeds/yahoo-news/Photos-Motorcycle-crashes-at-157mph-112264509.html

#5 ·
Hope and pray that the kids okay but, also hope this knocked the stupid out of him and the time laid up puts some sense in him

#7 ·
Not impressed.

I wont publicly post details of my incident, but I can say with authority that surviving at those speeds is possible.

Before any of you condemn the kid for speeding, how many of you have topped out a bike. No matter what the actual speed is, any bike topped out is beyond safe limits.

Bummer about the tickets, I say charge the cop as a distraction causing the crash. Wouldn't work but is a nice idea. IMO

#9 ·
I agree Squirly that many of us have done it and thus guilty of being hipocrites. However reading that the kid did it at 2am, and apparently Under the influence (judging from the DUI) is why im condeming it.

Now Same scenario, Same bike Same speed......Not at 2am where he is out riding his headlight then you got a whole nother response.

#8 ·
I agree Sqly.
Is it the fault of the bikes capabilities or the fault of the bikes availability or the the fact that they sell these bikes to young irresponsible owners????

I understand many of you will get on your soap box and claim common sense use of a 186 mile an hour bike.NO DUH.
The Question still remains is it the drug dealer or the user?

#12 ·
Nope. No sympathy from me. Going balls out, not a problem. DRINKING and riding, then he gets all he deserves. It's dangerous enough for us out there, and he wanted to drink AND be retarded by riding the bike?! Fine. Nope. Zero sympathy from me. He was riding on a REVOKED drivers license on top of it!! Sorry, but fuck him. They took it away from him for a reason. I don't care if it's Xmas either. He could have killed someone other then himself. Fuck him

#16 ·
Agreed! you wanna play, you gotta pay!

#19 ·
Now, where is my spreadsheet of crashes? I have at least 3-4 crashes just under that speed, and never got so much as a broken bone. Heck, I crashed my SV topped out in 6th gear (way lower than 157mph) and I was running after the bike before it stopped sliding. All it did to the SV was grind the clutch lever down and break the shift lever.

Crashing isn't that bad...

#22 ·
I used to, haven't crashed in 3 or 4 years now, so I have no idea where it is. Prior to that 3 crashes on the street, 7 on the track. MX crashes tons of times growing up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.