Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Helmets save brains and spines

1K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  jrock 
#1 ·
Motorcycle helmets can keep the brain safe, but Johns Hopkins researchers now say they also protect the spine too.

There has been a myth persisting for 25 years that wearing a helmet while riding causes spine injuries, said the study leader, Dr. Adil H. Haider, an assistant professor of surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. It was based on a faulty study, he said, and helmets have only gotten lighter and sturdier since then.

And lobby groups have used it to help undo helmet laws. Just about every state used to require helmets forty years ago, but now only about 20 do.

But this new research "debunks" the myth, Haider says.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/mot...s-save-brains-and-spines-new-study-shows.html

#8 ·
I like riding two up with a helmet hanging off each side. :laughing:

Reactions: jrock
#5 ·
NGNOTT for the WIN in Illinois.

Riders need the right to CHOOSE!

(seriously though, thanks for the article)

#10 ·
How are you going to show off you cool designer shades, $100 haircut and hair care products with a helmet on. Be sure to wear a wife beater and icon armor vest to show off any cool arm tattoo's. Extra points for cool trendy footwear. Lids and boots are for beginners who expect to fall and those who start on 600's and can't handle a 1000.
Wonder if bike insurance is cheaper in states with helmet laws? Life long brain injuries are expensive to treat for insurers. Bet they would much rather just replace a dinged up $400 lid. would be cool if insurers gave a discount or $ voucher for those who wear lids.

#14 ·
Most bike insurance has a fairly low medical limit - $5-20K. So I don't think a lid law will change much in the way of rates we pay. Most of it is for collision coverage anyway, which is mostly for single bike crashes - i.e. stellar moves by riders.

#17 ·
I remember my helmets when I was a kid, they were just hard plastic with some padding. I'm glad I never took a hard hit. Todays helmets are just so much safer today. The better shells and crumple zones.

#21 ·
Being anti helmet is different than being anti helmet law. Just sayin'.

#26 ·
I'm against helmet laws, but I think if you ride without one you should be required to be an organ donor. Let all these people ride without a helmet, and then when I need a new liver the odds are much better that I'll get one! :laughing:

#28 ·
I know you too well Brian; was expecting that response.

If safety is that high of a concern, then one should not be on a motorcycle in the first place.

I'm all about wearing proper gear, but there are moments when I wanna enjoy the wind in my hair.

#29 ·
True enough, I am very predictable. :)

Even in a convertible, the law is you wear your seat belt in every state in the nation. I'll stick with supporting a law requiring helmets, just as I support seatbelt laws.

That said, I have driven my car without a seat belt, and I have exceeded the speed limit. Either way, the law was there to protect me from my own foolish choices, and I either ignored it out of laziness, or by choice. Of course, the greatest punishment for me would not be a ticket, but rather the consequences of a crash above the speed limit and without a seatbelt.

#30 ·
I'm actually a bit surprised that you're taking this stance as you're someone who supports individual liberty.

Safety first, above all else. But then again, you're riding a missile to begin with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.