Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

At what point should one move on to something else?

5K views 99 replies 39 participants last post by  Grumpy 
#1 ·
I just had my second consecutive crash last weekend, third overall. It pissed me off so bad that I wanted to go back out there and fuck up that corner. Thankfully, with the help of a bunch of people, I was able to get back on the track and not leave without getting another shot to redeem myself. But I'm starting to feel like crashing is becoming a habit.

When something defeats me or if I completely suck at something, I want to come back harder and beat it or work harder to get better at it. So is the case with the track and swimming (though now I'm just starting to get it after SIX MONTHS :lmao:). If I gave up, it would eat at me because it would show a total lack of heart on my part.

It kills me because I know I can do better than how I'm doing now. It also kills me that people are saying under their breath or to other people that that I SUCK at this shit. Which is why I want so bad to grid up and race and prove them wrong. But at what point should I give up and move on to something else? Am I being too stubborn for my own good?

:popcorn:

#36 ·
I've crashed three times too. It sucks and I'm pissed off every time I do it. Each one has been my fault.

I've also learned something from each one and it's encouraged me to get back out there.

Crashing is a part of this sport. You're going to do it again. Accept that.

Learn from your mistakes and get back out there. Fuck everyone else and what they think of your riding.

#38 ·
Sammy Davis jr wouldn't give up!!!!

Seriously, though, there's a zen saying that goes something like 'acknowledge it and move on.' Not move on to something else. so it happened. Learn from it and go on from there.

Dude, i need a riding coach when i finally get on the track this season. You better be there

#45 ·
Oh I'll be back. I've been itching to ride since then.

Before the season started, I wasn't as excited about it as I was in the past. I was indifferent about it. But after getting on the bike again, I'm excited about the rest of the season.

It's weird because I didn't drop off too much from the last time I rode. Usually there is at least a few days to a week of getting reacquainted with riding to get back into that mode again. So it was odd at how comfortable I felt out there Saturday, even on the first session when the track was most wet. I rode every session except the one where we were putting my bike back together. My crash was more a result of me being over confident and over anxious.

#51 ·
Enutz,

i told you, you looked really good and smooth. You worked on your body positioning last year, and it payed off! There was nothing to correct.

Your line was good, and you looked smooth.
Now, I know you remember what else i told you ;)

You crashed where so many others crashed. There was water on the track, and just because somebody else didn't crash there, it doesn't mean you won't, if you're going faster/more leaned/more gas than them.

I was on DOTs and they were slipping on dry/wet even if i was just maintaining the throttle. I didn't push it. It was just not worth it to me. The summer is long.

Luckily you're not hurt!!!
As i mentioned, take your time, work on things. Speed will come by itself.
You really looked good and i told you that!!!

Good luck!

#53 ·
Now, I know you remember what else i told you ;)
Yes, you told me not to go any faster and to take it easy. I of course forgot about that. :lmao:

Thanks again for all your help and tips last weekend Tea. :cheers:

#52 ·
You know this crashing has also to be looked at, at what level you are and what the reason behind it is...

e.g. if someone runs 1:25 at Blackhawk and keeps crashing, yes you need to change something big time, if one of the sub 10 guys crash, well they always ride on the limit and 1 of 100 things went not right...
Last year I saw crashes by the "top guys" Ortega in the bus-stop ( i belive),
Farrell in 7, Hall also in the Bus-Stop...
The faster you get the more perfect you need to be.

As long as you don't race for money, forget about going fast. Make sure you are perfect positioned on the bike, have a good body position, get to learn your bike. Than if you have all this, go and twist that throttle wide open and you will be fine. Work yourself slowly to the limits and know them, don't let the limits of yourself and the bike come over you without any warning...

Riding in the rain also make you understand your bike better, the greater the lean angle the quicker you will be on your butt, smooth, and looking fly is what counts...

#54 ·
Like many have said, track conditions were sketchy all day. Turn 4 was the worst. I almost highsided there, turn 1 and turn 10. You know what happened so learn from it. I know a few really fast guys that left early because conditions weren't optimal for fast laps. Part of the game this early in the season is to ride within your comfort zone and within the limitations of the track and your equipment. It's a hard lesson but one we all experience sooner or later whether its a trackday or race. Don't give up.

#59 ·
Anyways, just want to thank everyone who helped me out that weekend. Matt, Ben, Mike for pitting with me and help on the bike.

Tea for putting my ass in check after the first session and for the helpful tips.

Nick for checkin up on me to see if I was okay.

Steve and Shelly, good seeing you guys again.

Mouse, good meeting you. Terra good seeing you.

Jasmine and Travis, good seeing you two again.

My apologies if I missed anyone.

Thanks to everyone for all your helpful tips in this thread. You guys rule. Hope to see you all at the track over the summer.

And Will, I can't quit you.

#64 ·
I will be doing LCR race school the week before then racing the next day. So it depends how my bank account looks after that AND if I don't crash! :lmao: If I do, I will be there on Saturday. If I don't ride, I might come out to spectate. This is Jordan right? If so, what's up bro.

When you are new you hit the ground a lot!!

I've crashed over 40 times so you've got a ways to go.

The best money you can spend is go take a professional school. Starmotorcycle will be here this summer and Jason is a great instructor. Or go take Colin Edwards school or Supercamp, etc.

What you spend there you will save in what you are spending crashing and come out a bazillion times better. It's an investment just like going to college, learning a trade, etc.

To be a mechanic would just start wrenching on stuff without first going to school or having a mentor for years???? Kind of hard if you just open a book or just start learning by trial and error.

Schools help you get rid of the bad habits you have already acquired.
40 crashes! :eek I want to eventually take the YCRS. But that won't be this year.

#62 ·
When you are new you hit the ground a lot!!

The best money you can spend is go take a professional school. Starmotorcycle will be here this summer and Jason is a great instructor. Or go take Colin Edwards school or Supercamp, etc.

What you spend there you will save in what you are spending crashing and come out a bazillion times better. It's an investment just like going to college, learning a trade, etc.

To be a mechanic would just start wrenching on stuff without first going to school or having a mentor for years???? Kind of hard if you just open a book or just start learning by trial and error.

Schools help you get rid of the bad habits you have already acquired.

#66 ·

So, how is that working out for you? :lmao: You still have crashed over 40 time! Or did it save you 40 additional crashes?

#72 ·
Track conditions were horrible before lunch, I highsided coming out of turn 5 right before lunch, should have just sat out till after lunchbreak, oh well, first time crashing ever...not fun. But i did finish out the day, thankfully I brought 2 helmets with.

#73 ·
Hi, my name is Marr....and I'm a crasher:mecry:

I feel you. My crashes have made me realize what NOT to do and have showed me what my machine is capable of. My bike even posed with me for one picture(see below):laughing: I keep getting back on the horse though, even though that first time back on is rough. But it's my passion and I want to learn from my mistakes. I've had advice from MANY people about crashing......from "crashers". IMO, sometimes it's not even anything you did wrong. The greatest of the greatest crash.....that's what I tell myself when I get down on myself. Is it fun? HELL NAW! But the main thing is, if you're hearts not in it, don't get back on. :)

Attachments

#75 ·
http://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psychology-Success-Carol-Dweck/dp/1400062756

A fixed mindset is one in which you view your talents and abilities as... well, fixed. In other words, you are who you are, your intelligence and talents are fixed, and your fate is to go through life avoiding challenge and failure. A growth mindset, on the other hand, is one in which you see yourself as fluid, a work in progress. Your fate is one of growth and opportunity.

#78 ·
I crashed 3 times in 10 track days I did last year. 2 times from the same mistake. I also got much faster in the season, got a bump to I at STT and Motovid, I learned. I also looked at how much money I spent on trackdays last year.

This year I am taking a break from track, sold my track bike, will sport-tour a lot more and see how it works....
I am already missing track.... decided not to go back this season, need to see if I really need this at my 41 years of age, likely will be back next year, but might pick up a dual sport bike instead.

basically, it's not your job that you NEED to get better at, not the pinnacle of your life's achievement, just a fun hobby, take it easy, make it fun, or find other fun things to do :)

#79 ·
Stop trying to impress others . Focus on riding the line , body , etc . Some are better than others at this . I see people crash because they expect to hit the track and be in NESBA "A" by the end of the day. I 've been riding for about 27 years and still consider myself an "I" rider . Crashed at Jennings , my one and only , got up and went again. I hope you dont quit until you are satisfied with yourself.

Reactions: ENutz
#83 · (Edited)
I didn't read this whole thread so forgive me if I repeat something here....

OK, first of all, you don't learn from crashing. You learn by recognizing skills that keep you from crashing. Some people have the natural ability to 'feel' the difference. Some people... well they just keep crashing. Which is the sole reason why STT exists.

What you need to figure out within you is, 1) do you love riding track and do you want to keep doing it? if so, then 2) if you are not recognizing what is keeping you from advancing without crashing do you want to be coached?

I've seen you out there, I've never really heard anyone say anything poor about you. Especially not from your oopsies. Remember this past weekend took a LOT of skill to manage in the wet and cold conditions. You can't be so hard on yourself.

Since you are a popular customer at STT events, and at the gloriously awesome Autobahn track, I would recommend requesting the instructional services that they are offering and grab one of the coaches. I would recommend that you to talk to Troy Havelka, (green kawi, cant miss him). The reason I recommend Troy is because he has an unparelleled method of communicating Intermediate to Advanced riding skill in a way which you can relate and apply. Its a talent not everyone has, and he is definitely valued for that.

If you feel that you want to get specific skill coaching in regards to how your bike performs during race application, the licensed racers who coach for STT can also offer you that level of information.

Its all there for you, and its the purpose of the organization. I guarantee you if you soak up the information that is available through some of these coaches and apply the techniques, you will become faster without even knowing it.

So take the heat off yourself... you're all good. You just need to tweak a few things.

#89 ·
Let me put a little different spin on this.....

You do not *have* to crash to learn about limits. IF you smoothly and gradually
approach limits you can ride to and beyond them and learn all you need to know.

Crashing .... if you are riding smoothly and well and *paying attention* will teach
you a lot. The most important lesson being crashing sucks.

OTOH.

If you crash abruptly, or worse, frequently and get up and "just don't know what
happened" you need to take a good long hard look at your choice of hobbies
because riding a motorcycle fast might not be the best choice for you.

Tom

#91 ·
And to clarify, I never said you dont learn from crashing, just that you "can" learn without crashing, but the learning curve time wise is much longer.

Im not mean either, just judgmental.:laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.