Chicagoland Sportbikes - View Single Post - '71 CL350 Project
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Ryan
.
 
Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,985
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?
           
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
The cam and rockers were all pitted (common issue on these bikes) so I bought a couple complete heads on eBay, only to find that they had pitted cams and rockers as well. At least I have two "good" head cores now. I finally found a good used cam and rocker arms so I am proceeding with the top end now. I ordered a set of valves and a complete gasket kit from Sirius Consolidated.

Today I took the valves out of the two good heads to clean them up and send them to the machine shop. I will let the machinist pick whichever he thinks is the better of the pair.

Homemade valve spring compressor:


Also took apart the best looking cam housing that I had to be sure the cam bearing surfaces were good. While I had it apart I polished the tach drive housing, points housing, and valve clearance check plugs. Before and after:


Temporarily reassembled the cam housing to keep the good cam and rockers together in one place until I get the bottom end done and assemble the whole engine. These 350 twins used two different style cams and rockers. I am running the early style because that was the only good set of cam and rockers I could find:


The heads are going out the machine shop next week for a valve job. I hope to start tearing into the bottom end this weekend if I have time. I need to clear off a shelving unit in the garage for this project so everything can stay organized while it's apart.

Last edited by Ryan; 10-14-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Ryan is offline  
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome