Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Hey "Watch" Guys...

2K views 62 replies 15 participants last post by  Bug 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking @ a Lucien Picard watch for everyday knock around use - Not a ton of coin but curious to know if you geniuses know anything good or bad about this middle of the road time piece

Looking at the "Marinello"

#4 ·
Indeed....

#5 ·
Like you said , middle of the road . There are a lot of good movements out there . If you are going with that one, keep your options open to Envicta or TW steele . Some Envicta watches have Swiss movements and usually copy a more expensive brand like Rolex or Bell & Ross . Envicta makes a great watch for the money .

#8 ·
I also need to find a good watch place for repairs that is not out in the burbs for my Baume & Mercier that like Ed Norton in Primal Fear, is "Losing Time" - I took it to Tourneau and I just hate those fucks - My guy in Lincoln park retired and was awesome - Sometimes he was open, sometimes he was not but he could fix a fuckin watch

#9 ·
I am also looking at the Sturhling Tru Apocalypse as a knock around to as the above mentioned B&M is slowly dieing on me

#10 ·
It's a crap piece to be honest.

Romilly, Picard, Invicta, Swiss Legend, Stuhrling, Haurex, Akribos, etc. All these brands are cheap Chinese movements that they throw into an interesting looking case, slap an MSRP tag of $800-3,000 and then discount it to $50-250 and some sucker buys it thinking he got the deal of the century.

Are they the worst watches in the world? No, are they worth more than $50, probably not.

If you want a nice "mid-grade" watch, there are a ton of great companies out there:

Citizen
Seiko
Bulova
Tissot
Wenger
Victorinox

And more that I forgot. These are well made, well engineered watches that will last you for decades of daily use. The Chinese guys may last a few months, but they're vastly inferior to the other ones.

That being said, it is a handsome watch, no way I'd pay over $50 for it though.

#11 ·
For the most part true , but a lot of them use Swiss movements . You have to know witch ones to buy . I would never pay $800 for an invicta , but $150 or so , you cant go wrong.

#14 ·
Oh I like those....:1pimp

Thats what I mean - There are SOOOOO many cool watches out there that I have never heard of and I like getting something that not everyone wears

I gave both my nephews my old Rolexs as I felt like a chode wearing them - My Ultimate would be a Patek but the one I want is $18K

Oh and thx SD, good info to have - I am so unknowledgable about these things, as well as many other, just ask B.H, Geo, Roman, Troy, either of the Tony's and of course G2G

#13 ·
Trust me when I say I am getting both watches (either the Picard or Sturhling) for about 80% off - The Piccard has an MSRP of $500 and I am looking at $90 - The Sturhling is $1K and I am looking at $175

They will be something I can beat the shit out of without caring as my B&M (daily wear) is taking a beating and my Movado is what i wear with Suit & Tie

I have one of those Big Ass Nixons that I got as a gift and HATE it

#16 ·
I guess I am the sucker then - I see them both on eBay and World of Watches (or some shit) going for a few hundo over what I can get them for

Let's just say they fell off a truck.....

#17 · (Edited)
Go on Amazon, go to men's watches, click the 70%+ off thing on the left and see how many manufacturers are trying the same thing. It's like the penny auctions, just a different way to scam people into giving you their money.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_lin...7110011&ie=UTF8&qid=1323461845&rnid=598266011

You're better off with a nice looking Fossil, they have a lifetime replacement guarantee, if you break it, drop it off a mountain, wear it too deep and it get soaked, lose it in a vagina for a month and the case cracks from the pressure, etc. They will get you a new one or a nicer one if that model has been discontinued for free, no need for receipts or anything, just ship them your old one. That makes way more sense than a Chinese knockoff automatic.

Have some handsome styles too:
http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/st...n=30001&Ns=p_msc1|0||p_weight|0&storeId=12052

You're kidding me Ed, you're smarter than this. They slap that MSRP on there so certain sellers can charge more and maybe get some moron who thinks he's getting a deal at 50% off will bite instead of searching around to find it at 70% off. The seller is still buying that piece for $20, so if they move it at $300, awesome, but if they move it at $220, close enough.

#18 ·
I got a business card from a guy in the "Copy Mall" of Shenzhen, China if you want it. Dude can get anything. Got myself a nice Breitling Bentley knock off for $35 when I was there. It stopped working after a couple weeks, but that's a minor detail:

#20 ·
Next time you're giving away rolex watches let me know.
Ha - Gave them to my Nephews when they graduated High School - The Sub Mariner and The Explorer - Wore them for years so I got my $ worth and they both still rock them to this day

I get ya SD, I do - I just look at it this way, if I spend $100 on something and it lasts me a year, that is like $.28 a day for something that i really care not of - I was just looking to see if anyone had owned one, heard horror stories of or even owned and liked

#28 ·
Dude I sing that all the time and people actually correct me

"You sound like you're from LONDAWN"

#30 ·
Like KRS1 said in the Alonzo Hunter Song "Dats Dah Way Plays Play"

Sit back and let me do my thing
I know what time it is by the hands on my Brietling

#35 ·
Fossel or movado watches. Those are my choices.

#36 ·
Just got done tweeting with Nicky and he is sending me this - I love Hillbillies

Attachments

#38 ·
I have this one, because I'm awesome, though I rarely wear it, for obvious reasons :laughing

#39 ·
Fuck, I want a Panerai now - Had lunch today with a buddy and his 380 was BEAUTIFUL

#40 ·
Nice watch. The last 4-5 times I went to Vegas I keep telling myself I would buy one. But then I lose all my money. Lol

#41 ·
I had a Wenger about 15 years ago that worked for years. put a battery and a new band on it, and it went another several years. Somehow I managed to lose it, when I stopped wearing a wristwatch on a regular basis. I recently picked up another one, lets hope they are still built to the same high quality.

Anyone have a Ball, or know much about them? I see they have tritium gas lamps on the hands and face, so no worries about reading it in the dark.

http://www.ballwatch.com/index.php?option=com_main&lang=en_US

#42 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.