Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Laptop wake up problem

913 views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  JPKII 
#1 ·
My work laptop keeps waking up from sleep self-drains the battery over night in the bag.

Under Advance Power Option, 'Allow awake items' are Disabled for both battery and adapter.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

I'm suspecting a software might be behind this.

Laptop is Lenovo X220.

#3 ·
You can change the behavior of the laptop with the lid closed.

Reactions: crashomon
#5 · (Edited)
So when you close the lid, it is set to "do nothing" correct? If so, you will have to set it to hibernate when you are done for the day. I would have it hibernate vs. have it sleep.

#7 ·
So you keep it open when it is in the docking station?

#8 ·
Laptop is open in the docking station. I have a monitor attached to it for dual screen.

So at the EOD when I leave the office, I detach the laptop from the station, close the lid and put it in my bag.

I can confirm that it goes to sleep because the sleep (moon) icon turns on.
But in the morning, at times, I find the battery drained and laptop in hibernation mode with a message asking if I want to boot up Windows normally.

#9 ·
It's going into hibernation becuase the battery is below 10%, that is default setting. Nothing to worry about.

Getting back to sleep and you waking up to a dead battery, have you always had this issue? Or is it something new?

#11 · (Edited)
I would try putting it into hibernation when you are done for the day rather than in sleep. Sleep still draws juice and creates heat, so it might just be that 12 hours of sleep is about all your battery can handle.

Do you know if you have a 4 cell, 6 cell, or 9 cell battery?

#12 ·
See if your antivirus is set to do scan's at off hours. It may be waking the unit to do a scan. Good AV products allow you to change this behavior. If there is not option, just change the scan time.

#21 ·
G - N - 3 ; Next time the laptop wakes from sleep unprompted: go to start>run>cmd

powercfg – lastwake

The command above will identify the device or event that last woke the computer. After that go into the device manager, select the device properties and turn off the "allow device to wake computer" option. Also make sure you are undocking properly at the end of the day. Don't just pull the eject lever. Make sure you push the undock button, wait for the light then pull the lever.

You can also try applying an apple sticker to your Lenovo. This will improve your computing experience 1000%

#24 ·
Lol, I had an Apple sticker on a first gen Dell XPS laptop (tank) back in the day and it never failed that I'd have someone at the airport or plant ask: 'when did dell start making apple computers'. Lol. Users...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.