Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

pinhole leaks in radiator

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  c.b. 
#1 ·
I've found about 4 pinhole leaks in my radiator and was looking for ideas of what to do. I have used things like Barrs stop leak in cars before, and was thinking about trying that, but not sure how it would interact with the rest of the coolant system. ie the thermostat and/or pump.

Are there other alternative methods out there? Anyone else used a stop leak before with good results?

Otherwise I will just have to wait and buy another radiator or see how much a repair shop would charge, if they could even fix it.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
i had pinholes in my 1000s radiator last year... 2 radiator shops later and both saif it was infixable

pinholes in mine were from internal corrosion that ate it from teh inside out rather than external trauma.

it was irrepairable and i ended up ebaying a replacement

#4 ·
Jason, that's exactly what I'm worried about...this radiator was an ebay replacement. I bought it last fall, and filled they system with regular antifreeze for winter storage, no leaks over winter at all. But after running the bike this weekend I saw some wet spots in the fins. It was coolant. I am pretty sure the holes were not caused from debris hitting the radiator.

If nothing else I might try the stop leak. I am hoping someone else has tried stop leak in their bike before and had favorable results.

On a side note, what would cause it to corrode from the inside out?

#5 ·
Corey, take it to Lake Zurich Radiator, they'll fix ya right up. They have done a great job on 3 or 4 radiators for me. They fix it, paint it, and pressure test it. Fair pricing too!

847-438-4334
785 Oak Wood Road
Lake Zurich, IL 60047

#6 ·
im convinced that what caused my corrosion was royal purple's Purple Ice coolant additive used in conjunction with distilled water.

I checked the PH on the fluid I drained out when I found the leak and it was around 12 which is a pretty strong alkaline

#7 ·
Well shit, I hope purple ice and coolant won't eat my rads.

#12 ·
+1

Posts like these make me appreciate my air cooled tractor engine even more :)

#9 ·
Take it to Lake Zürich radiator. Use them all the time for radiator repairs. Like Wink said fair prices and good work. They gave me a block of some stuff last year it's like bars leak but they said it's much better.

#10 ·
What's a normal charge up there in lake Zurich. I can buy used radiators for around 80. Granted I run the risk of getting something with a leak, even if it is being sold as leak free.

Thanks for the help guys.

#13 ·
Maybe before removing rad. a good flush would be nice.

you can buy some stuff for flushing the system.:2cents:

#14 ·
Just called Lake Zurich radiator. Said it would be about 15 to 20 to see if they can repair it, and 50 to 80 if its repairable, including the aformentioned check. I'll see if I can get it up there sometime soon or ill just have to buy another radiator.

Thanks for the help guys.

#17 ·
radiators arent rocket science. some tubes some fins and thats about it. they can be easily fixed by a good radiator shop, I typically use al's radiator in brookfield, but this lake zurih place sounds good as well. whatever is closer.

#18 ·
n my experiance mc radiators might as well be rocket science with the trouble some shops seem to have with them, partly due to the small size and that they are aluminum and not whatever old school car radiators are made of , i had a old kx500 i put engine ice into and pinhole leaks seeped out ov many spots in the rads, flushed it out and back to water and the leaks stopped, maybe engine ice is made of smaller molecules that get through the seams where H2O does not????

#19 ·
Yeah older radiators were made of brass sometimes. Which is what lake Zurich radiator told me they prefer repairing, but they can repair all aluminium ones most of the time.

#20 ·
LZ has repaired a few aluminum ones for me and id an EXCELLENT job. Same for Greg I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.