Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Extending Wifi Range

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  gsd656 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone use dd-wrt to convert an old router to a wifi repeater? I have an old netgear wgr614 v6 that i am thinking about converting, but some of the info on the wiki page i am not sure if i understand correctly. Any advice or hints would be appreciated.

As an alternative, any suggestions for a wifi extender in the $50 range?

Thanks!

Edit: The more i read on this topic i am believing that the wgr614 might not have the ability to be a repeater without the dd-wrt, but the newer router WNDR3700v2 does. Now another alternative would be to use the wgr as a primary router and the wndr as a repeater. Any thoughts on that approach?

#7 ·
I thought I had it setup using the old router as a base and new router as a repeater, but there was a glitch. The repeater was sending out a signal, but nothing would accept the connection. To top it of, after that I could not log in to the repeater to tweak the settings. Ended up putting it all back to how it was. These projects take too long, will have to play with it another time.

How durable is cat5 cable? Will it be ok to run it outside? I am not about to rear apart walls for this.

#17 ·
Save the headache and grab a apple time capsule with a couple airport express to entend the range and your set. Plus the new airport express have 2 Ethernet ports

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.