Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Do The Rock Mountain Bike Race

1K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Hman675 
#1 · (Edited)
Sunday Oct 21, 2012

Who's going?
You don't have to worry abou the 11 year olds as they start at a different time :lmao:

First 50 people to register get a free T-Shirt

http://www.rctrailcrew.org/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=265477&item_id=220385
I signed up last night.

Do The Rock 2012
Sunday, Oct 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
Rock Cut State Park

Registrant Fee Fee After 10/12/2012
Do the Rock- Beginner $ 25.00 $ 30.00
Do the Rock- Kids No Fee No Fee
Do the Rock- Open $ 25.00 $ 30.00
Do the Rock- Sport $ 25.00 $ 30.00

Beginners: 10:00 am (1 lap ~10mi)
Open: 11:30 am (3 laps ~30mi)
Sport: 11:35 am (2 laps ~20mi)
Kids race (10 & under) : 11:00 am

See less See more
#5 ·
#11 · (Edited)
Weather's looking great! Anyone pre-riding the course? I might drop by tomorrow afternoon, just depends what I have going on. I'll be doing the beginner race(10 mile) Sunday.

Mmmm, I may take you up on that, post race of course. :laughing:

And doesn't look like there will be any food vendors there from what I can tell?

#19 · (Edited)
The RC Trail Crew put on a great event and I'll definitely be doing this one next year as well. Also nice to finally meet you D. Hopefully they got you squared away on the results. Wish we could have dropped by for a couple beers afterword but my wife needed to go into work for a bit so we had to take off.

I do wish I would have signed up for the sport group. The beginner race was closer to 8 miles instead of 10 according to my gps and was over way to quickly. They also cut out a couple sections of single track shown on the race course map that I enjoyed when I was out there a couple weeks prior. I'm assuming those were used in the sport/open classes. With that said it was still a fun course, challenging and also very fast. I made sure to get gridded up closer to the front for this one and I'd say it helped. Edit: I ended up placing 21st out of 55 overall which I'm happy with.

Garmin stats: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/235776629

#20 ·
Nice work Chris. You too need a Heart Rate Strap. Avg speed 12mph that is moving but also looks like a few down hills by the evaluation you show. Did you see Josh do an OTB from Team Bike Haven?

#21 ·
Thanks! Yeah I've been meaning to pick one up. Would be nice to know what's going on there. As for the avg speed it was a pretty fast course. When I was there a couple weeks before I averaged around 10mph doing pretty much the same trails but more mileage and single track. There was also the road section from the start/finish that was about 3/4 mile in length you could carry some speed on in parts.

Saw several guys in Bike Haven T's. Did hear someone go down somewhere behind me in the early stages of the race but no idea if it was him. Trails were slick with all of the leaf cover. I did get passed by a Bike Haven rider on the north side of the course on a pretty long flat straight section. Think he had blond hair but could be wrong. I caught back up to him in the single track and he was asking if I had ridden there before and then if I wanted to pass. It was pretty tight and twisty at that point so I was waiting for a safe place to pass so as not to risk taking both of us out. 10sec after that we hit the double track which led on to the gravel path and then to the road.:laughing: I hung with him for a good part of that but once we hit the road leading back to the finish he was gone.

#24 ·
Good Meeting you Chris!
That place is fun. I am going to try to do Sport next year as well.

I saw the Bike-Haven crew at the Start (and as they left me at the line) :laughing
I went by a couple of them during the race, Josh as he had a minor get off and other one of the guys said he dropped his chain.
Josh was nice enough to drop off my duffel bag and we had a brew at the campsite and BS'ed for awhile.

They did not get my result from my timing chip so what is in there is my GPS time which showed 25th but I'm going to see if I got the time clock on Video when I reveiew it later. Fun time. Glad I did it.

I've been questioning the whole racing thing but I have to say it does motivate me to ride more. I probably would not have pre-ridden when we 1st pulled up and would not have worked as hard as I did during the race.

Not so much during the race but when I was goofing off on the trail later not having my clipless shoes was getting ....interesting . My feet were sliding all over the pedals when I was going down one of my favorite drop-off sections which sure made it more exciting :laughing. I found another section I liked in the morning as well.
I may be going back in a couple of weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.