Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Where to start when it comes to an AR?

1K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  FiReBReTHa 
#1 ·
I have been wanting an AR-15 for a while, but ever time I look into it I get confused with all the parts, pieces, options, upgrades, sizes, etc. Where does someone start if they want to get into this type of firearm? I ran into this same problem with trying to root my Android and just decided to walk away before I got myself into a big mess. I think the AR would be something I could really enjoy so I want to know what I’m getting into. I guess I’ll just throw out a few questions and see if anyone can help out here…

1. Is there a base model that is fully functional out of the box that is a good place to start?
2. Is there a good break down (Video, Diagram) that anyone has used to understand the layout of the gun and it’s functionality?
3. You can get this in different gauges, correct? If so, what gauge is most common/cheapest/can be used at the range/takes down a zombie most effectively?
4. If I had a basic AR (from question 1), are there upgrades that should be done right away to make it a better gun?
5. Is an AR something that someone with minimal gun experience can handle in terms of ownership – tear-down, reassembly, installing upgrades? I have a 9mm Sig and a .22 Savage rifle, but nothing nearly as complicated as an AR.

I’d really like to get one of these as a target gun here in the “City” and for a “fun gun” when I go back to North Dakota and go shooting with the guys. Plus, I’d like to have one of these before they start banning purchasing of these types of guns

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny you mention Android OS rooting. In my opinion, both face the same challenge... an initial steep learning curve that requires a LOT of reading.

But once you've spent the time reading and researching, you're good to go.

#3 · (Edited)
Wrong thread Andy.

Muddy,

1. Any AR will fully function just fine. But it really depends on what you want to use it for that determines a good value for you. If all you want is a range toy, I would suggest something like DPMS (Panther Arms). If you want a .223 nail driver, then something higher end like Rock River Arms (I'm not even sure if RRA is considered high end anymore?).

2. Youtube and google. the AR15 platform is so common (and old) that you can find Terrabytes worth of info on it. Also there are several members on here that own them and will be willing to talk about them.

3. Yes. .223 (5.56) is most common as that is the military NATO round. .308 (7.62) is prob the second most common, followed by .22LR, 6.5mm, .50 Beowolf, .50BMG, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

4. Depends on what you want to use it for. My opinion on what should be upgraded will differ from everyone else as my view on how I use it will be different. My first upgrades when I get my new AR15 (will be another DPMS rifle) will be a tactical charging handle, red dot scope and a more comfy grip. If you start upgrading bolt carrier groups or barrels then it might have been better to buy a higher level rifle that already had that stuff.

5. All I'm going to say about this is that the M16/ M4 platform is a standard issue weapon for the U.S. Military. Although I'm a vet, I'll be the first to admit that there are some stupid people in the service. An average person can tear down and reassemble an AR with less than 30min of training.

#5 ·
A better choice for what?
Saving money? That all depends on current market values, sales, and any deals you can find but typically the AK will be cheaper.

Ammo costs? .223 is typically cheaper (I'm not even considering Wolf ammo as I would never run that through my guns.)

Take down power? .308 would win, no contest.

Ease of use? I've never used an AK so I can't answer this but I've been told that it is simpler in design thus simpler to maintain.

Expandable? The AK is limited in how you can upgrade. The AR plateform you can upgrade any part you want as you wish/ can afford.

With all this though, I do have a bias towards the AR so my opinion of the AK will reflect that.

#7 ·
I tried scrolling thru the weapons forum and it only had 2 pages. Maybe that's something we should bring up to Admin, tell them to show all the threads.

I'll do a search.

Also, did you see my other thread about the used shotguns? Looking to see who treats customers right out here in our area...

#9 ·
Check your forum settings - look for a setting that shows how far back a forum will display threads. I have over 90 pages in here and pulled up some random threads from 2007. They're all still here.

#14 ·
cheaper side of basic, 800

something to pass-on/keep and upgrade, 1200

something to donate blood for and compete with 2400-3

If only you knew someone in aurora that could give you a run down on this stuff and that he spends a few hours a day studying the AR platform and designing components for it.

#18 ·
We are doing a reloading class next but we often shoot the shit in the garage just having fun. After Andy becomes a free man again in a couple months I plan on dragging him out west with us to ASC quite often :) he just doesn't know it yet.

I live over by montgomery rd and east of eola as a reference point.

#20 ·
I've never objected to being "dragged out," especially if Eric, Mr. I live 90 seconds away, drives. :1pimp

Need to function test my M1A, which was short stroking the last time I had her out (a while ago), and get it re-zeroed. And the AR I built has only been sighted in "casually" against a swinging moving target at 25 yards, so it needs proper zeroing too.

#19 ·
[QUOTE=

IMHO, every American who owns firearms should have an AR, a pump shotgun of one of the three major brands, a combat style pistol in whatever caliber they like, and a .22LR rifle to practice with - and know how to use and maintain these tools to the best of their

^^^^ this. I have both and from my perspective, my ak is the most fun to shoot for having fun at the range and ammo is super cheap you can get 20rnds for 3.99 @ cabelas all the time. The AK is dummy proof with cleaning and.will shoot anything you throw in it or after you throw it in something. It is a beat the shit out of and will keep on tickin weapon. With that being said if you want something more precise and has way more acc. options I would go AR. Nice thing is, it is like legos. even if you pick up a base model you can add to it as you go. The add ons are endless. Couple things I do and dont like about the AR compared to the AK is 3x's longer to clean!!! Rounds are more money and the AK you can shoot cheap steal case thru, wouldnt do that with my AR. AR has way more options and interchangeablity. AR is going to give you more options long range/accuracy and platform. I love both guns. I bought my DPMS mil spec with SS chrome lined barrel, trigger kit, and titanium firing pin for about 700 OTD... My AK was about 425. both new. I wouldn't get rid of either. This is just my opinion.
Sent from my mutha fukin pgone!!!

#26 ·
So there's some varying opinion on these...

What about it makes it something to avoid? The reviews online for it seem to be pretty good with very few problems, especially after initial break in. Keep in mind I'm a baller on a budget so this type of price point does make it a little more attractive...

Have 2 DPMS and love them. Would only buy them. Ive upgraded the shit out of it but it eats every thing. Worth every penny
Have you found any limitations on what you can upgrade on it? Any problems?

Also, after doing some looking I found the S&W AR and saw that the one at Cabela's is called it a "sport". Does it feature something that gives it that title or is it just a marketing name?

#28 ·
just what happens when you mass produce it loses a bit of QC. just having some components that are poorly done but as nick did you can also upgrade anything that gives you issues as long as its not the major parts such as barrel/upper since then its cost ineffective.

thats the fun part about the AR is the abundance of components you can get for it, (when they are in stock) :)

#31 ·
I didnt upgrade any parts due to issues just wanted to. I had thousands of rounds thru without any issues. I only really shoot steal case and never an issue. Tul at 4.77 a box of 20. All day long. I use it for Practical Rifle and all other events I shoot. Would trust my life with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#33 ·
I didnt upgrade any parts due to issues just wanted to. I had thousands of rounds thru without any issues.
woops, mis interpretation. I just meant like its so easy to upgrade at will at any point like you did.

Don't like the stock, swap it out.

Trigger to heavy, upgrade! etc etc etc.

#32 ·
Black one has Magpul STR stock, assist rail, trigger guard, have reduced spring in trigger, SS barrel, low profile gas block, titanium firing pin, chrome BCG, BAD lever. Slim Fit quad rail. I just ordered a new gun fighter charging handle cause my magnifier gets in the way a little.

#34 ·
I didnt take it that way at all. The stock it comes with is a must its a POS but works. Really the only thing I hated about the rifle. I shot allot of RRA and others but lived the DPMS. My thought was buy cheap and slowly upgrade. It was my 1st.

#35 ·
Wifey and I went to the range yesterday, they had a short barrel set up that was sweet. The guard thingy was wide at the bottom and the barrel was threaded, it's set up for a supressor, and total barrel length with supressor will be about 14". Sekkci!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.