Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Scuba - Where to start?

9K views 119 replies 13 participants last post by  c2000 
#1 ·
Read a few threads on this just now, and trying to get my bearings on what needs to be done.

I've been meaning to get my Scuba cert for a few years now, and since we're going on a Mediterranean cruise this summer, I want to FOR SURE get this done and do some diving there.

From what I understand, online course + 2 in the water lessons, and you're good to go?

Other than just reading online what needs to be done in what order, do you guys have any tips on what to do / what to avoid, and where's best to get this stuff done? (I live near I355/I88 intersection).

I've read it's good to buy your own goggles and fins (is that the proper term for flippers?)...any recommendations? Also, do you pee in your wet suit? lol

#2 · (Edited)
For the PADI open water diver certification, you can do the classroom portion online, but would need to complete 5 confined water (in a pool) dives and 4 open water (lake or ocean) dives to get your certification. Typically, the open water dives are done over two days with two dives per day. You can also take the classroom and pool dives through just about any local scuba gear/dive shop. Open water certification dives in the midwest are usually done at a quarry near Rockford in the summer months, which I would not recommend, because the water is cold and visability crappy. Best option is to do the classroom and confined water dives locally and then do your open water dives on your vacation. You will need your own mask, snorkel and fins for the confined water dives. You can usually rent everything you need on vacation through the dive operator.

I love diving and have gone on to become an advanced open water diver.

Yes, I pee in my wetsuit.

#3 ·
Yes, I pee in my wetsuit.
Yeah, this. Ditto :lmao:

I agree with what Onecabernetnut said. It's becoming more common to do the classroom, pool dives, now......then link up with a Padi instructor to finish the open water checkouts on your vacation. Most places will be happy to do this, in fact on the live-aboard I did last spring, two newbies were getting checked out by the instructor.

#10 ·
These guys have already given you some very good info. I also suggest taking the classroom portion and pool dives here, but doing the checkout dives on your trip. Try to finish shortly before your trip so the material is still fresh.

At some places the resort course can get a bit hurried because you want to go diving asap and they want you spending $$ in the dive shop and/or booking dives asap. When Eva took the resort course down in Cozumel things were pretty minimalistic.

Here is a good forum for most things SCUBA.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the tips folks...and especially regarding checking out Groupon.

Considering we're going on a cruise and will only be at the ports of call for less than 8 hours most likely, I'd like to get it all done here, and not have to worry about the last part while on the vacation.

We've been meaning to do this for a few years now...been to the Caribbean and Cozumel, and failed to get going on the scuba before those. I will definitely NOT allow us to forgo this time!!

And I wouldn't trust Polaks under water. Guaranteed they teach you if something goes wrong, just hold your breath. LOL!!

#18 ·
I just got back from the intro scuba class, and I have to say I'm hooked.
15 minuts of talk and over 2 hrs. in the pool.
Now it's time to find good deal on the open water class.
The biggest pain is the equalizing ears, even on 14ft. if you dont equalize,
pressure wants to blow your head and it hurts.
Now I will go basic gear shopping - fins, mask, snorkel, boots and wetsuit.

#19 ·
Where did you go? What did you pay?

#21 ·
Expect to pay around $300-$350 per person for the first two steps to get your open water certification (confined water dives in a pool and the study materials, either online or in a classroom). The $29 class mentioned by c2000 was just an intro to scuba and not the PADI open water diver course. The third and final step, the open water check out dives, typically run $200 per person. Most dive shops will require you have your own mask, fins and snorkel and will give you a discount if you take the class with them, but expect to pay around $200 for these items to get some decent stuff. I would recommend you buy neoprene wet suit boots and open heal fins, as full (bare) foot fins only work with warm water diving. Fins will run around $75 to $100, boots another $30, mask at $50 and a snorkel can be had for $20. With all this, expect to pay around $700 each for your certification and basic gear. The hobby gets expensive when you start buying your own gear, like dive computers, etc. Do a google search for dive shops in your area. Most shops will post their fees for their PADI courses or will tell you how much if you call them.

#24 ·
All this info was right on!

#23 ·
To update this thread. Just spoke with Sea Lions.

$325 gets you the 2 day express course. First day is short classroom and 4 to 5 hours in the pool. Second day gets you classroom + tests. Then you schedule a different weekend to go with them to the quarry, and do your dives there to finalize the certification.

On top of that you've got to buy your mask, snorkel, fins, and boots. About $200 for good stuff.

So looks like just as you guys mentioned before. $500 - $700 per person to get this done. Hoping we can fit into their May class (checking our schedules now), and I'll update once we do this.

And CP...loved her accent on the phone!

#26 ·
My kid just did her test and passed. All that is left is to do her open water dive and she is certified. $225 is what we paid. They did a great job. She borrowed my wife's boots, fins, snorkel, and I bought her a new mask for her tiny face at $80. $17 for the dive book needed, $20 per day for Haigh quarry permit, and the wetsuit comes with the deal. Ready for Costa Rica!

#27 ·
Just make sure you hold on to your mask when you jump into the water.:2cents::laughing:

#30 ·
Completed the Express class with Sea Lions Scuba (Hanover Park) this weekend. Going to do the certification next weekend. She's also allowing us to go out with a class during this week to have fun/practice.

The class was good. Fast paced, just the way I like it. But, it's not for everyone. As CP mentioned, she is Polish, and although her English is very good and understanding her is not an issue, she is very straight forward, and straight to the point as most Polish women are! So, if you're a softy, or if you need someone to tell you how good you are swimming with fins on, probably not for you.

Saturday, some class time in the morning, then almost 6 hours in the pool. Sunday was some class time, then the tests. Done. Nice and quick. But again, she expects that you read the stuff before hand, and understand it. Because its the express class she just tells you how it is, and moves on, you need to keep up. As I said, just the way I like it, no fluffy bull in the middle. Teach me what I need to know, and move on.

My fiance was a little scared to do Scuba, but after 10 minutes in the water, she was a pro. Better skills than every guy in the class (except for me of course! ;) ).

Overall I would definitely recommend Sea Lions and the Express Class. We paid $325 for the class. This included everything except for tip for the dive masters, or entry in the quarry next weekend.

We bought our masks/snorkels/boots through Sea Lions, and bought our fins online. Bought mine off Craigslist, got an awesome deal on really good, but older fins. For the fiance, bought her almost top of the line fins, on eBay, "used" but never actually worn, still had tags on them. In store they were $160, we paid $80 on ebay shipped. I would definitely recommend looking at used fins as you can get great deals for people who bought them and never used them really, but the rest doesn't cost that much, so buying new in store is better (who wants to wear a used mask or snorkel anyway!).

Thanks to all your tips and help. Glad we are finally getting this done. Going to try for a day at Pearl Lake in June, then our vacation in July.

And big thanks to CP for borrowing us his wifes fins for my fiance, as hers didn't come in the mail in time!!

#31 ·
I did signed up with Learn Scuba Chicago (329$ for open water).
Thursday I passed the written test :)
Tomorrow and Tuesday I have pool sessions, and August 10 & 11th I'm going to Kankakee quarry to have the my dives and final exam.
I cant wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.