Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

hardcore computer techy questions

462 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Honda4Ever 
#1 ·
ok this one is going to be a little intense but there seem to be some pretty knowledgeble people on this forum so here goes.

as you know there is a new virus out "sasser" its making my life a living hell at work there is a patch for this, from microsoft KB835732 and of course the removal tools by virus software vendors. My question is >>> im trying to implemet SUS (software update service) software on my controllers. its pretty cool where you can centrally approve updates on the server and silently roll them out to clients.My problem is i dont want the other servers to take these update from the update server only workstations is there a way to do that. i know its a policy thing i just dont know which one or how.Sorry if this question pissed anyone off. it might be a little too much but at this point im desperate. any help from the micrsoft peoples will help. (im looking towards tony or oddesys) what you think?

thanks

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure Tony or Ken won't be able to help ya on this one.:p ;)

#4 ·
r1iazmi said:
thats ok thanks i knew it was long shot figured i'd try anyways
It's cool.....I'm waiting to see the answer. Someone will have it:thumbsup I've got a similar problem....I think anyway. My laptop and desktop in network automatically update the patches from MS for me. I never touch my server, I'm wondering if it's updating through the other devices in my network, on it's own, or even at all??:D

#6 ·
r1iazmi said:
well if your stuff starts rebooting all the time you know the updates arent working right let me know if you need help i know how do fix them manually
nope....my server never reboots itself. I set it up about a month ago and it hasn't been off since......well. Except when the dog kicked the cord.:laughing :laughing

thanks.

#8 ·
The answer depends on how your network is designed. I'll layout 2 things that you could do.

1. If all computers are at least Windows 2000 AND the computers are in Active Directory, you would have the following option.

Create an Organization Unit for Workstations and another for Servers. Create a Group Policy Object in the Workstations OU, and another in the Servers OU . Configure the Workstations GPO with the settings for your SUS server. Move all of your workstations to the Workstations OU and servers to the Servers OU. Configure the GPO for the Servers OU to disable Automatic Updates.

2. If the computers are not in an Active Directory domain, modify the registry of the workstations to point to your SUS server, disable Automatic Updates on the servers manually.

#9 ·
Holy sh*t thats exactly what i needed to know. simple & idiot proof .obijuan i owe you one. thanks a bunch i posted the same question everywhere never thought i'd get it here. glad i spent most of my time on this forum. im excited gonna go do it now.

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.