Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

a detroit man speaks out...

354 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cherrypicker 
#1 · (Edited)
has anyone heard about the tragic accident in davenport, ia involving two teens riding a hayabusa into another automobile...killing them both? the 'busa, was the riders first bike, his passenger, was his girlfriend...the editorial shot back, blaming the motorcycle's performace capabilities were the root cause of accidents such as these...i'd like to quote the letter to the editor from someone who did not agree with their story...all of the in-quotation sentences were originally stated by the editorial...

Riders, not bikes, cause accidents...

I'd like to point out some errors in the "2 fast, 2 dangerous" editorial.

1. "Police knew he was speeding but they can't tell how fast." While police may not wish to reveal the actual speed, an accident investigator can determine vehical speed by examining simple evidence.

2. "The Hayabusa is the fastest in a class of motorcycles that require expert operators to show more restraint than the machine allows." While the 'busa is definately the fastest production bike, it is also a very docile street bike. Suggesting that the vehical is the cause for the operator's decisions is not only wrong, it's poor reporting.

3. "The Hayabusa and motorcycles in its class simply cannot be operated within the speed limits posted on any thoroughfare in this country." I've ridden a modified Kawasaki ZRX1100 since 1999. It operates within the speed limits if that's what I ask of it.

4. "That deadly capability has the potential to turn a simple speeding infraction into a capital offence." I assume this "deadly capability" is the potential to do damage to others. Simple physics shows that any automobile has more potential kinetic energy than even the fastest bike. Look at mass, a constant factor, rather than speed, which the operator determines. Which do you honestly think is more of a public risk, a 500 lb motorcycle at 90 mph, or an 8,000 lb SUV at 40 mph?

Please don't codemn all high performance bikes because of the mistakes of some riders...

it's sad to hear of such terrible happenings, but there is always a hard truth behind most of them...i found that his letter, and the passing of the two riders, make me think a little more before i set out on a ride...

See less See more
#2 ·
A busa for a first bike, bad choice. In most motorcycle accidents a certain amount of fault can be placed on "rider error" I can accept that, but placing blame on the motorcycle itself, doesn't make sense at all:rolleyes That would be like blaming guns for the crime rate in this country......wait they tried that didn't they, I guess I am wrong, it was the Busa's fault that people died:bs

#3 ·
exactly...a motorcycle is only as dangerous as your throttle hand makes it...granted, other drivers don't help, but you do have control over your own actions...in my own opinion, what right do certain cycle dealers, and or private owners have in selling a teenager a 190+mph bike...there should be stipulations...i couldn't live with myself knowing that the high powered bike i just sold to some kid, wrapped himself around the back of a car... :(

#5 · (Edited)
That article is total BS.

My ZX9 will do nearly 170mph.... yet I easily drive to work averaging riding betwen 20-50mph. It's called self control. I can guarantee that my bike at 35mph will stop dramatically quickly and do far less damage than a 5000lb pick-up truck going 40 that I share the road with every moring.

I would however support that riders under 21 have lisences that resrict them to 650cc's for 3+ cylinder machines and 800cc's for machines with 2 or fewer cylinders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.