Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Matthiessen MTB race sunday

2K views 77 replies 7 participants last post by  Murcielago 
#1 ·
Soo thinking of doing my first cycling race sunday, what do I need to know, what should I bring, etc? I think i'm more nervous for this than I was my first motorcycle race :lmao:

#2 ·
Bring Lungs and legs, with those hammer down...

Make sure bike is in good working order and depending on how long the race it a wattle bottle of camel back.

#4 · (Edited)
Ride what you normally ride. I'll be on the same clipless pedals I always use as will most everyone else.

Don't change anything with your bike setup days before the race and use whatever form of hydration you normally use whether it be bottles or camelbak. Also make sure to get a good warm up in before the race. I've learned how crucial that is and what a difference it makes. Oh and most importantly, have fun out there! These things are a blast and addicting!

Edit: I just hope the race isn't canceled. The trails are still closed and they're predicting more rain towards the end of the week.

#9 ·
lot of good advice here. Only thing I'll add is don't eat anything within at least a couple hours of your race, other than maybe a gel or something similar (small, easily and quickly digested). You don't want your stomach working on digesting a meal while the rest of you is hammering.

If the conditions are going to be mud pit I'm thinking theres 2 options: Fort Custer Stampede or sack up for a day at Levis

#66 ·
lot of good advice here. Only thing I'll add is don't eat anything within at least a couple hours of your race, other than maybe a gel or something similar like BK cinnabons and french toast sticks (small, easily and quickly digested). You don't want your stomach working on digesting a meal while the rest of you is hammering.
Fixed it for ya. Breakfast of champions! I know what I'm pounding down before my next race. :laughing:

#11 ·
OK so here's the real scoop on most of the dos and don'ts.

YOU: Don't carbo load. Do make sure you eat properly and clean all the time though, or at least the week of the race. (Now) Night before have a normal portion mostly carb meal with some protein. Do eat breakfast race morning, at least 4 hours prior to race time. 5-10 minutes before race, eat gel, and every half hour after that during the race depending on how long it is. Do hydrate several days before the race, not just the night before. On a hot day, take some electrolytes in some form to prevent cramping. Endurolytes, NUUN, etc. Don't train hard within two days of the race if you can help it. Two days before, or day before, go out for an easy ride and include a couple hard efforts maybe 2-5 minutes long, to wake up your muscles but not tire them. You should WANT to hammer at this point, but hold back. Do warm up easy before the race, at least a half hour or so depending on your race length. I include one or two hard efforts in the warmup to jack your HR. It won't feel good and you'll probably want to stop. You definitely want to feel that in your warmup and not in the race if you can help it, unless you're a badass like me and don't feel pain. :laughing: That way when you take off on the start you are acclimated to the pain already. Bring Camelbak for longer races. If you prehydrate you can probably go an hour without water, but do what you want on that. Bottles are a pain, get dirty, get lost, and are hard to drink from when MTBing.

BIKE: Same shit, different day. Unless you have race wheels, just ride what you always have been riding and same tire pressures. Lube chain well. I never bring spares, because if I flat or have a mechanical, my race is over. Do what you want on that.

STRATEGY: That will depend on your goals and attitude towards racing. I will tell you this though, the more people in front of you at the start when you get into the singletrack, the slower you will go and lower you will finish. Decide if you want to attack the race, just survive, or make friends. :laughing:

#21 ·
Last year was unreal. I think they cut out some of the expert race on the last lap because it was impossible to ride. I forgot. I was dizzy at that point. :laughing: Jeremy, one other thing which may be applicable to this race, is that if you are walking a section and somebody else is riding behind you, stand to the side to let them pass and continue to ride. Don't hold them up because you are walking. Bad etiquette.

#24 ·
forecast for Fort Custer is looking pretty good, little chance of rain up to the race and Sunday's high in the 70s. I'm not really excited about 6-7 hours in the car, but the trails are supposed to be awesome and I could use some MTB seat time. On the fence as of now...

#28 ·
I think Mattheissen is going to be a mess, just a question of whether they actually hold the race or not. Unless they come back saying "holy shit the trails are perfect and not muddy" I'm not lining up for it

#30 ·
at least your familiar with my pre-race nutrition, that helps :laughing:

Yeah I'll drive and you're welcome to hitch a ride but I'm not driving up to St. Charles to pick you up :laughing:. Could meet at 88 & Orchard, leave your whip at the McD's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.