Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Difference between HS and GP

2K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Dirtbiker 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm bored. I was just watching videos on the Fox Valley site. What is the difference between a Hare Scramble and a GP? It looks like the GP uses part of the MX track and the HS doesn't. Do they both use the log/tractor tire sections?

I know I have talked about these events before but, too bad. I'm BORED and I want to talk moto.

Take care and ride safe,
Brian

#2 ·
A Hare Scrambles is a closed course cross country event that runs on a course 2 1/2 miles to 40 miles in length. It has no determined number of laps. It is run on a determined length of time (I.E. 45 minutes) depending on class and skill level. A rider is considered to have finished the HareScramble if he completes 50% of the laps the winner of his class completed. There is one official check at the finish line with a rollcheck as backup. Speed is the determining factor in the outcome of the race. A simplified explanation of a Hare Scramble is that it is an eastern variation of the Hare & Hound which is run out west in desert terrain. It's a serious competition event
Most of this explanation is per the AMA Rulebook

A Gran Prix is a closed course that includes both MX track and natural terrain over a short course (about 5 miles give or take depending on the promoter) usually run in a two race format for an aggregate finish position (like MX) for a set amount of laps. The rules for a GP do not appear in the AMA rulebook. They are supplemental and provided by the RDO (Recognized District Organization I.E. AMA District 17), A competition partner in an area where no RDO is active or the event promoter.
The idea of a GP is to get MX racers, Hare Scramblers, Enduro riders and casual dirt (trail) riders out to compete with each other on terrain that they have all ridden on. A GP is designed to encourage beginning and entry level racers to compete and to be challenging enough for the more experienced. It's meant to be High on the fun factor and not too serious.

#4 ·
Harescramble is an hour and a half, very little of the Moto track, more tighter, harder sections. The endurocross section is usually only in the A,B afternoon race. The logs up by the office are always in, but the have a pussy trail around them.

GP is 2 30 minute motos, a couple hours apart. More Moto track, wider, easier trail. Usually no endurocross stuff, just the logs by the office, with a pussy trail around them.

The hs will be more encouraging. There are more classes, and you will end up finishing better, leading to more confidence. The only objective you should have is to finish the first time out. Pace yourself and just try to keep making progress. If you get winded stop for a minute and catch your breath. Stay away from the big mistakes that sap your energy. After the first lap everybody gets pretty stretched out and there's not a lot of passing.

GP is loaded with fast guys in pretty much every class, which there are fewer of. Mx guys, enduro/hs guys are all doing it now. Its still fun, but its tough to place well.

I like to do a bunch of hs and a couple GP's every year. Some of the hs down south are really good single track races. Those are my favorite.

#10 ·
This will give you a good idea of what to expect. :lmao: :lmao:

Give it at least 2 min to really get going.
About 5 minutes into this, I would have turned around and gone back to my car and popped a beer. With my short legs, this is the situation where I would want a KTM with electric start, a 2 stroke that starts easier or a KX100 or CRF150r that allows me to touch the ground easily

That being said, I want to try something this year.

Take care and ride safe,
Brian

#8 ·
And Leon's getting LARRRRRRGER

#18 ·
I have a RMZ250 and I had TZR lower the suspension about 1 1/4". I am getting the seat done soon. The biggest problem I have is that it is a hard bike to start. As my skill level has gotten better, I don't think the seat height will be as much an issue. If it turns out to be an issue, I will go back to the car and have a beer. The pit bench racing is usually the most fun anyways.

Selecting a couple events to get a group together works for me. The Club57 event would be one I would like to try.

#31 ·
I go around these cats. Well, I used to anyway. Don't see a lot of bottlenecks outside the c classes.

Going up hills is easy. If something bad happens you just stop. Going down them is where you can have the shit scared out of you. There are a couple at White City down by St. Louis that frightened the shit out of me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.