Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Cracked Rim

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Ohfugit 
#1 ·
Any suggestions on how to handle this? Have it welded or just replace the rim?

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't even think of trying to fix it. That's an accident waiting for a place to happen.

I've had a wheel explode in the middle of a race and when the bike wants to stop before you do it can get ugly.

On the KX500 i've even had the spoke holes crack.New rim, spokes, and spoke nipples.

#4 ·
I agree that is dangerous, get a new rim, warp 9 ( works with stock spokes) can be had for cheap and I have 1 , so far it has held up to my fat ass, or get a did dirtstar or excel if you got the $$ (you will need new spokes/nipples with these)

I have built hundreds of bicycle wheels from scratch in the olden days and done several MX wheels in the last couple years, if you do not want to do this yourself I can help

#7 ·
A new hoop it is. I was little leery myself of having it welded but seems a lot of people go that route from what I've read. It also appears the cracks are along the factory weld too.

The factory KTM wheels are excel AL7s. So an aftermarket rim like an excel takasago should lace right up without needing to buy new spokes/nipples right? Anyone know of a shop in the Chicago area, preferably west/nw suburbs that might stock these? Need a 21x1.6. Just trying to get the bike race ready for Sunday if possible.

Dave, thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

Oh no he didn't! :laughing:

#10 ·
Just to follow up, I ended up ordering a D.I.D Dirt Star LTX rim from my friendly neighborhood moto shop, TZR. Should have it in a couple days.

Planning on giving it a go at lacing/truing it up myself. I've dabbled in truing mtb rims so we'll see how it goes...

#19 · (Edited)
Just a follow up. I've got about 3hrs on it now and so far so good. Spent a lot of time banging into logs on the endurocross section at FVOR. Checked the spokes after that ride and none of them loosened up. Still as true as it was at the start. I'll continue to keep an eye on it though. Also, I didn't use a torque wrench and just tightened the spokes up by feel using the ping method.

Didn't pick up a truing stand either. Just mounted the rim in the forks and used some zip ties as fixed points of reference. A stand would be nice though to do this off the floor.

Here's a pic of the stock rim after sitting in the garage a couple days. Came apart on it's own.

#21 ·
I think the spokes were for the most part. In my first post that pic shows the rim right after I removed the tire. The crack didn't begin to expand until after I removed the rim from the spokes. It then continued to grow over the course of several days(maybe a week) and then just separated on it's own.

#23 ·
I'm bringing my Garmin this Sunday so I can get some HR readings. Just curious to see what's going on and maybe compare to some of my mtb race files. Remember that one time I raced a mtb?

I'll probably load it up on Strava too just to get some KOMs. Would like to know what that feels like. :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.