Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Another moving question

369 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jimbo 
#1 ·
Hey as many of you know I am moving to Indianapolis in 2 weeks. Never moved out of state before, so I have a quick question. I can't nail down a committment from a 3rd driver, so I will have to tow my car on the back of the rent-a-truck. I will be using a "tow-dolly" thing-a-ma-jigger. Has anyone used one of these before? Just a little nervous using rental equiptment to tow my car.

Oh yeah, I will be having a going away party on the 23rd EVERYONE IS INVITED. Details to follow...

#2 ·
What kind of car? front wheel drive? rear wheel drive? 4wd? AWD? I would only dolly a fwd car. ANy other I'd want a full trailer.

ALso INSPECT it heavily before even taking the dolly/trailer off the lot. Check tire pressure, tread, lug nuts, electricals and such. Rental places are not exactly known for excellent maintanance.

#5 ·
I towed a car on one of those thing from NC to here with no problems, well except that I found out the hard way that you can't back-up with it. The one I used had 2 pivot points.

#6 ·
I have used these quite a bit. My advice. CHECK the dolly hardcore! Lights, swivel point for grinding, TIRES! grease the bearings. Even if you are not sure MAKE THEM GREASE THEM IN FRONT OF YOU!! You do not want that bad boy seizing up on you. Check the straps. Integrity of strength, rips, tears, etc...

After you load the vehicle on it (this may sound bad) make sure you let out at least 5 pounds of air in the front to give a bigger foot print in the cradle. rears should be at normal pressure.

Ratchet down the front straps REAL tight! Make sure the ramp locking pins are secured and drive for 10-15 miles, pull over and retighten the straps. pull over again at 50 miles and recheck the straps. then at 100 miles and from there you should be good to go but check on gas ups. Dont forget to put your windows up just in case and have a flashlight with you as well as misc. tools.

Good luck Bro!:thumbsup (a nice little hand held CB is good to have as well.)

#7 ·
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! The full trailer types are kind of tricky to use and a PITA to load, unload. DEMAND....I repeat DEMAND a tow dolly. They are much smaller and easier ot work with..... also easier ot tow. You'll save a few bucks in gas.

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I have driven a trailer a dozen or so times, and I know backing up is a biatch (should have seen my first time). Should be a pretty straight shot on the expressway and I'll have a car behind me keeping an eye on things.

Are the tow dollies a pain in the ass?

#10 ·
cherrypicker said:
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! The full trailer types are kind of tricky to use and a PITA to load, unload. DEMAND....I repeat DEMAND a tow dolly. They are much smaller and easier ot work with..... also easier ot tow. You'll save a few bucks in gas.

What PITA to load and unload a trailer and how is it tricky to use? Its just like loading a dolly just instead of 2 wheels on the trailer its 4. Plus a trailer is more secure. You have 4 straps instead of 2. Plus you can back a trailer. Not many dollys can be backed up without damaging a pivot.

And there no way I would put a rwd, 4wd or awd on a dolly. Front drivers are fine with it since the rear wheels freewheel anyways.

#11 ·
I used UHaul once for that kind of trailer and it was junk. Lights didn't work at the straps look like crap. I also rented one from Buget and they were 100 times better. UHaul screw up my reservations too. I reserved it a month ahead and they didn't have it when I went to get it. I had to go to another Uhaul to get it. Buget was no problem at all, and they were a lot nicer too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.