Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

State Police to meet with Press

881 views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  taziscool 
#1 ·
Just heard a seg. on the radio that the State Police will be meeting and discussing with the press either today or tomorrow morning about the rash of motorcycle accidents that have been happening lately.
Sounds like Illinios is going to putting a smack down on sport bikes.
...be careful ladies and gentlemen , you are officially being watched.

#7 ·
Season's Over, hopefully it will be forgotten about in spring:twofinger

If they want to make a helmet law, then they should allow lane splitting.
They'd probably never do that because they would think that would leed to more accidents. the typical driver would still swerve at you :rolleyes instead of make way for the motorcyclist.

#8 ·
Jughead said:
Season's Over, hopefully it will be forgotten about in spring:twofinger

If they want to make a helmet law, then they should allow lane splitting.
They'd probably never do that because they would think that would leed to more accidents. the typical driver would still swerve at you :rolleyes instead of make way for the motorcyclist.
With how stupid and inattentive some people are now on the expressway and how aggressive people drive, I don't think it would be a good idea to make lane splitting legal.. you'd have people trying to run you down then.

#11 ·
I believe lane splitting is only "legal" when traffic is flowing as a group under the posted speed limit at less than 30mph... or sothign close to that. It doesn't give you a free license to pass between 2 cars whenever you feel like it...at least accordingly to how I beleive the law is written in CA.

I do beleve like most people on here that motorcycle are getting extra scrutiny much as guns in the classroom, dangerous pedestrian RR crossings and othe publisized events recieve.

I beleive accident rates with automobiles has also risen in the Chicago area in recent years due ot increased congestion, use of cell phone, size of vehciles, impatience, stress, and lack of understanding of modern ABS and traction control systems/4WD.

Far more people are injured and killed in automobile accidents, yet the state patrol doesn't feel that enforcing speed limits in Illinois on freeways is nessesary. 80mph in a 65 in a 5000lb vehicle is ok, yet a 600lb motorcycle going only 20mph faster than that is reckless. Hmmmm

#13 ·
Brian said:
Over ... did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell NO! and it aint over now .... cause when the going gets tough, the tough get going .... now who is with me? :laughing
Private Pyle is with you sir!!

#15 ·
Brian said:
Over ... did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell NO! and it aint over now .... cause when the going gets tough, the tough get going .... now who is with me? :laughing
reporting for duty,"SIR" **salutes**
:laughing :evil :jester :rofl

#16 ·
Brian said:
Attention!

#17 ·
cherrypicker said:
I believe lane splitting is only "legal" when traffic is flowing as a group under the posted speed limit at less than 30mph... or sothign close to that. It doesn't give you a free license to pass between 2 cars whenever you feel like it...at least accordingly to how I beleive the law is written in CA.
lane splitting in CA is legal up to 10mph faster than the speed of traffic, up to the speed limit but not over.

#18 ·
Brian said:
Brian's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons. But that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

#19 ·
I lane split when I was in Santa Cruz this summer. The traffic was backed up for about 2 miles. I split all the way to the front. :D This is not something I'd want to do in moving traffic. It's bad enough that there are the self appointed defenders of their spot in line that will cut you off. But, most people just aren't expecting a vehicle in between lanes when you pass. Sometimes I think I'd like to see that legal here. Not much chance of that happening with all the BS going on now.:p

#21 ·
oh sure, let's let all the idiots who can't ride for shit in a whole lane, lane split legally.....in between cars that are 4' apart.....that will solve all the problems.:laughing

First thing to do is make the test to GET a license HARDER, including the written to get a permit............

#22 ·
taziscool said:
First thing to do is make the test to GET a license HARDER, including the written to get a permit............
And thats for EVERY VEHICLE. IMplement the German driving test here and see how many actual licensed drivers will be left legally. Fuctards in this country cant drive period. Hell I'd be safe to say about 35% of the current licensed driver pool could pass the German test on the first or second try.

Bump the driving age to 18 throughout the US. Start drivers ed at 16 yet, but make it a 2 yr process. 1 yr of range and classroom and they can start driving on the street at 17 ONLY if a licensed driver over 25 with 5 yrs experience is in the pass seat at all times.

Go to CC restrictions for motorcycles...
*12-18 months on a 550cc or under I4, 650cc twin or any single then take a test for next level
*another 12-18 months on 551-800cc I4 or 1380cc twin (for HD riders) and then take a much harder test for teh next level
*Next level is open. Any bike. SO on ave to get an unrestricted license it takes 2-3 yrs if they pass on the first time.

Get caught on a bike they shouldnt be on, confiscation for 3 months and BIG ASS fine. Try to run because they have dont have a license: jail time, big fine and state gets to sell the bike and rider is banned from getting any motorcycle licesne for 10 yrs and has to start over training.

BTW I would also make insurance companies quote bikes by CC's and riders record. Blacklisting bikes will be illegal and if they insure cars, they will be required to insure bikes. A 45 yr old rider with no accidents and tickets in 10 yrs should not have to pay $1800/yr for full coverage on a 1000cc sportbike.

#23 ·
Those are some good ideas, Rob. The only thing is that the a lot of this country is rural, and 16/17 year olds need to get to work and to football practice and such. If we had a smaller country with better public transportation then I could see going to 18 and up driver's license.

But I do agree with the graduated licensing for motorcycles. I also think we need stiffer penalties for cagers who hit bikes.

#24 ·
Chills said:
Those are some good ideas, Rob. The only thing is that the a lot of this country is rural, and 16/17 year olds need to get to work and to football practice and such. If we had a smaller country with better public transportation then I could see going to 18 and up driver's license.

But I do agree with the graduated licensing for motorcycles. I also think we need stiffer penalties for cagers who hit bikes.

Australia is rural and has an 18yr old driving age. My cousin lived 35 km from his secondary school and still had no problems getting to school (no buses came that far out) or to his extra cirricular activities. He did learn to drive at 14, but could so only on the ranch property.

#25 ·
YZFRob said:
Australia is rural and has an 18yr old driving age. My cousin lived 35 km from his secondary school and still had no problems getting to school (no buses came that far out) or to his extra cirricular activities. He did learn to drive at 14, but could so only on the ranch property.

How did he get to school and his extra stuff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.