No. 37 28.46%
I don't know. 4 3.08%
Yes, but I don't care. 77 59.23%
Yes, I am hooked up to a machine at night. 12 9.23%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Do you snore?

Do you snore? Do you care that you snore? Are you doing anything about it?

I've always snored, but not nightly. Lately it has been happening more frequently so I started to wear a nose strip at bed time. It usually helps, but it seems to be becoming less effective.

I know an appointment for a physical is in order, but a clsb inquiry seems a little more convenient.

Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

I even had surgery for it and I still snore. I tried the machine but I can't handle it.

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

How about a SOMETIMES option?

Check me in for that one.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post

I know an appointment for a physical is in order, but a clsb inquiry seems a little more convenient.
Do a sleep study and you will know what's up.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Kot
I suffer from N4S

Sportbike: 05 R6 track, 07 R6 street
Years Riding: ... weeks :)
How you found us: google

Send a message via Skype™ to Kot
Only if my extremely tired or drunk

Chris
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kot View Post
This + if I fall asleep on the couch (but that usually correlates with extremely tired.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

There is thread on this already:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=27629

But I snore most of the time, 100% when drunk. Pretty sure I have sleep apnea, but at this moment I can't afford to get diagnosed with it. I'll wait until I'm closer to retirement
btw, use the new 4 point nose strips almost daily. They seem to help a bit.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

Not at all damn it.

If my wife says so she's a liar.

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
I even had surgery for it and I still snore. I tried the machine but I can't handle it.
Damn, sorry to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
How about a SOMETIMES option?

Check me in for that one.
Don't know how to change the poll...this is how I used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Do a sleep study and you will know what's up.
Will have to find the desire actually see a doc about this to see what she says. I am not one to self prescribe procedures, but if she recommends it, then it will happen. I guess I am kind of avoiding the the possibility that I will have to get one of those machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
This + if I fall asleep on the couch (but that usually correlates with extremely tired.)
Yep, that used to be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrection View Post
Not at all damn it.

If my wife says so she's a liar.
I tell my wife that she must be dreaming that I am snoring, or blame it on the dog.

Greg

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
There is thread on this already:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=27629

But I snore most of the time, 100% when drunk. Pretty sure I have sleep apnea, but at this moment I can't afford to get diagnosed with it. I'll wait until I'm closer to retirement
btw, use the new 4 point nose strips almost daily. They seem to help a bit.
Read through the thread you posted, thanks. I am in denial and non of the reasons posted (weight, drinking, smoking) apply to me.

I tried the "Advanced" strips and they did not stick very well, I use the "Extra" and they stay on better and do work better then the generics or the regular ones from breathright.

Greg

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
Read through the thread you posted, thanks. I am in denial and non of the reasons posted (weight, drinking, smoking) apply to me.

I tried the "Advanced" strips and they did not stick very well, I use the "Extra" and they stay on better and do work better then the generics or the regular ones from breathright.
I had a problem with the advanced ones not sticking too, until I started to thoroughly wash my nose with soap right before applying them. Little bit of PITA, but it did the trick for me.

BTW, if I sleep without a pillow, the snorring is significantly decreased. I just can't sleep without a pillow every night
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

I sleep on my gut so no not really - I will transition to my side and still no - Now and then I will roll to my back, begin to snore, wake Myslef up and then roll back to my gut - I have asked my chick before if I do and she has always said no

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
only snore when there is low humidity in the house and my sinuses get clogged up. a good ole snot rocket cleanout in the shower fixes all.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Pierced & tattooed freak!

Sportbike: 1999 GSX-R750
Years Riding: "None of your bleepin' business!" - Joe Pesci
How you found us: Read about it in a fortune cookie

Do a sleep study ... it will save your life!

I didn't know how bad I had it until I had that done. I then had surgery, which did help a lot, but didn't fix it 100%. Now I use a CPAP machine. If I didn't have all of this done, I could not function.

Snoring is one thing, sleep apnea is a heap worse, and if you don't do the sleep study, you won't know where you stand.

Dante: [to Randal] You never go ass-to-mouth!
Randal: [to Dante] Would you grow up!
Becky: [to Dante] OK, I'm only telling you this because we're friends, but sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's forgivable to go ass-to-mouth.
Randal: [chuckling] Ha! I knew it.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I used to work with a dude that snored so badly he would wake himself up.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Imperator

Sportbike: 2006 Ducati 749
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: sandplasma

Send a message via AIM to quetzal
If anyone is interested, there is a program for the iphone called NightRec that will turn on if it hears anything or feels movement and record you snoring or talking in your sleep. Its pretty creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I'll bet anyone on this board could be on Valnetino Rossi's Moto GP machine and Valentino could be riding on a big yellow fucking chicken and still ride better.
2008 Honda CBR 1000RR
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerDave View Post
Do a sleep study ... it will save your life!

I didn't know how bad I had it until I had that done. I then had surgery, which did help a lot, but didn't fix it 100%. Now I use a CPAP machine. If I didn't have all of this done, I could not function.

Snoring is one thing, sleep apnea is a heap worse, and if you don't do the sleep study, you won't know where you stand.
Same here. I never knew I snored. I don't think I did in college and for a period of 7 years after college none of my girlfriends told me I did either.

Then I met my wife, we got married and she told me about it. I think it got steadily worse after we married.

I'm not overweight. I have very little body fat too. The only trigger I can acutely think of is I never had allergies until I took a trip to Europe in 1995 where I essentially sneezed through the entire continent. Ever since then one side of my nose was never used EVER. My theory is we get old and stuff changes. Then you deal with it. I'm not 20 anymore. If I drink 2 beers I'm done. When I was younger I could drink a case of Coors light in a sitting.

So I took all the allergy pills (Clarinex and such) and tried all the nose strips and none of them helped. I went an was tested for allergies and the only thing I'm officially allergic to was grass.

I then when and had the deviated septum surgery. That helped a little with the breathing. I still favor one side but the other takes over about 25% of the time (supposed to be 50/50). Oh and if anyone is considering the surgery over the sleep study I'll have you know the surgery is TERRIBLE and the sleep study is a breeze. Deviated septum surgery is HELLA PAINFUL. It's probably the worst solution for this problem as the outcome doesn't really help for many people but the recovery is a BITCH. I'll let others weigh in on that point if they want. It's simply painful and gross. I wouldn't wish that procedure on my worst enemies.

Then my wife told me that all she wanted for Christmas was me to get a sleep study so SHE could sleep at night. I went and had one done and now I sleep like a baby. No 2am bathroom breaks, no vivid dreams of running and such. Just like a baby.

Every once in a while people joke about what that stupid machine does for a fella's sex life. All I have to say is my wife asked me to take the study so she could sleep and night and a happy wife is much more appreciative if you know what I mean.

Besides that I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I'm not picking up chicks on the weekends either. It's just hum ho dad trying to raise a family so what the hell do I care what it looks like. After you see your wife give birth there aren't too many sacred things in a family.

You get over that stuff because it allows you to sleep and that's what's important.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!

Last edited by chibeemer; 06-06-2012 at 04:24 PM.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer View Post
Same here. I never knew I snored. I don't think I did in college and for a period of 7 years after college none of my girlfriends told me I did either.

Then I met my wife, we got married and she told me about it. I think it got steadily worse after we married.

I'm not overweight. I have very little body fat too. The only trigger I can acutely think of is I never had allergies until I took a trip to Europe in 1995 where I essentially sneezed through the entire continent. Ever since then one side of my nose was never used EVER.

So I took all the allergy pills (Clarinex and such) and tried all the nose strips and none of them helped. I went an was tested for allergies and the only thing I'm officially allergic to was grass.

I then when and had the deviated septum surgery. That helped a little with the breathing. I still favor one side but the other takes over about 25% of the time (supposed to be 50/50).

Then my wife told me that all she wanted for Christmas was me to get a sleep study so SHE could sleep at night. I went and had one done and now I sleep like a baby. No 2am bathroom breaks, no vivid dreams of running and such. Just like a baby.

Every once in a while people joke about what that stupid machine does for a fella's sex life. All I have to say is my wife asked me to take the study so she could sleep and night and a happy wife is much more appreciative if you know what I mean.

Besides that I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I'm not picking up chicks on the weekends either. It's just hum ho dad trying to raise a family so what the hell do I care what it looks like. After you see your wife give birth there aren't too many sacred things in a family.

You get over that stuff because it allows you to sleep and that's what's important.
Great write up!

Greg

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

If I'm on my back, I'll shake the windows and wake myself up. I now sleep on my sides and flip back and forth when I get uncomfortable. Problem temporarily solved...

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
If I'm on my back, I'll shake the windows and wake myself up. I now sleep on my sides and flip back and forth when I get uncomfortable. Problem temporarily solved...
I tried all the sleeping arrangements I could stand and none of them eliminated the snores. Pillows, no pillows, pillow under stomach, back, front, side. The only thing I ever got was bored of the one position I found that offered some sort of relief.

I'd be willing to put money on anyone here who is over 35 and says they snore in one position but found sleeping in another position eliminates the snore. My bet is that if you went for a sleep study they'd find you are still waking up. You might not actually know you are waking up and your partner may not be aware of it either but I bet your brain activity changes and you launch yourself out of REM sleep more than you should.

That's what I think.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Strange, I'm really good on my right side. Unfortunately, that's the crashed and rebuild shoulder. I just can't stay on it.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 01:01 PM

I prefer to sleep on my right side, but I don't usually wake up that way. Seems it doesn't always matter how you fall asleep, you might not end up in the position you started in, so I wouldn't rely on this method to address the issue. Do the sleep study to find out where you are, it's the only real way to know.

Becky: [to Dante] OK, I'm only telling you this because we're friends, but sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's forgivable to go ass-to-mouth.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 03:30 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

chibeemer, maybe I missed it (I read your post twice), but was the solution you were given after the sleep study? Do you now use a CPAP?

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
chibeemer, maybe I missed it (I read your post twice), but was the solution you were given after the sleep study? Do you now use a CPAP?
Yes. Not the full face mask though. I'm mild case. My big fear was that I sleep on my stomach so I was worried about the hose but that isn't an issue.

I think they said I wake myself 6 times per minute. From what I understand that's mild. My mom has it worse and my mother in law was told she wakes 20+ times per minute and was a severe case.

I guess more and more insurance plans are paying for the study and equipment because of the affects the sleep apnea has on your heart. For untreated severe cases it's pretty bad.

One side effect is that I now NEVER get sick with upper respiratory illness (common cold). This is because the air is filtered and you'll have a built in humidifier. It's awesome. My house can be really dry in winter but I have no worries.

I had BCBS HMO and they paid 100% for the sleep study which took 1 night. I showed up at 7pm to a place in Lombard, watched a brief video, played my PSP for an hour while they hooked the diodes up to my body and went to sleep around 11pm. They woke me up at 3:30 and said they had all the data they needed and then discharged me. I went home and slept it off.

The hardest part is pulling the diodes off your body. The glue they use is nasty sticky. Other than that nothing is invasive and it's all outpatient.

A week later I had all the equipment which BCBS HMO paid 100% for and every 3rd month I order replacement parts which the HMO pays for.

So I figure this costs my nothing, I sleep better, my wife sleeps better, and I know I'm healthier overall because of it.

If you travel a lot it is an extra thing you have to pack. I'm flying to CA this week and plan to leave it at home because I don't want to check bags and with all the other stuff I'm bringing it just isn't possible. No biggie.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM

The CPAP takes some getting used to at first, but it becomes 2nd nature after a while. The inconvenience and minor discomfort it causes doesn't outweigh not using it and feeling like a truck drove over you all the next day because you didn't get any real rest.

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

I hated using a CPAP so I have the UPPP surgery. It was absolutely horrible but I haven't used the machine since. ENT doc claimed it was a 66-75% chance of success. Doc Eric said more like 50%.

I am not 100% cured but I am much better now. Pulse o2 was falling to around 72% before surgery and I think high 80's to low 90s now.

Since my nose was so broken up from my past life the CPAP would strangle me at night. Somehow it would press against a flap in the back of my throat basically making a seal which would block my airflow and jolt me awake, once I snapped awake my body cleared it after a second or so but it was a really freaky scary way to wake up. I tried 3 different purchased masks and a handful of testers at the doc office.. In the end with my lifestyle I couldn't stand needing to drag a machine with me on airplanes or out camping or whatever.. + the whole feeling like I was getting choked out in the middle of the night thing kind of freaked me out, it was worse than the apnea.

I posted some of my observations and Eric is in the other thread. Wish he was on here more and doing his old thing.. Best Dr I've ever met.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM

I had the UPPP surgery too, and it helped initially, but it only got me part of the way better. Sad to say I'm stuck with using the CPAP.

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I sleep on my gut so no not really - I will transition to my side and still no - Now and then I will roll to my back, begin to snore, wake Myslef up and then roll back to my gut - I have asked my chick before if I do and she has always said no
That means you're giving good lovin' because I swear I wouldn't spend one night with a snorer unless he made it worth my while.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
That means you're giving good lovin' because I swear I wouldn't spend one night with a snorer unless he made it worth my while.
You are giving Bug an unnecessary ego boost.

Greg

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM
#40 expert

Sportbike: gsxr600
Years Riding: 40+ years started at four (My dad still rides Motocross at 80)
How you found us: nesba.com

neighbors have complained. And Camping is out of the question unless Im by myself

DESIGN-ENGINE|EDUCATION
Pro/ENGINEER training ZX6R CCS Expert #40 #1 plate holder
http://design-engine.com/category/racing/ RACE BLOG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode