donation poll - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

View Poll Results: what characterizes your donations?
we should give until it hurts. 2 10.53%
i give out of guilt. 2 10.53%
giving is a moral responsibility. 13 68.42%
i tend to donate only when huge disasters happen. 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google

donation poll

i saw something this weekend and it made me wonder where we all fall on the donation yardstick.

how much is enough and why?

do you give out of moral responsibility? do you give out of guilt?

do you give until it hurts? tithe (10%)?

do you only tend to give when huge disasters happen?

americans are generous - giving over $300 billion last year but this is 2.2% of our incomes. is this truly generous?

also percentage of giving decreases with increase in income.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

How about an option for: I don't donate money.

I don't give money, because I don't trust that the organizations are going to use it for what I intended it for. Most are scamming crooks, but I'm sure there are honest charities out there.

Instead, I'll donate my time directly, or I'll get deployed for the humanitarian effort, and I'll do whatever we're told to do.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 AM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

if someone asks me for the money, I give from guilt. Like salvation army in front of jewel. Or people collecting for causes like cancer and diabetes. I think charities are too fragmented and it seems like there is a new one popping up every day for the same cause. Makes me feel like my money is wasted on it. Like all the celebrity haiti funds. Or the person who died of cancer so their family starts the john doe foundation. Id rather skip the middle man and give straight to a well organized and recognized charity.

Then there are charities I want to give to, like childsplaycharity.org

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot

Last edited by Village Idiot; 02-08-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

mmmm...i love your honesty (except when its directed at me). donation of time is a very valid donation. i imagine guilt is a strong motivator for most of us - it is for me too. i think it is best to find a charity that one is passionate about and then the guilt transforms itself into a cause. there are websites that track the efficiency of a dollar given ---> http://www.charitynavigator.org/

i personally struggle with the relative moral issue of living so comfortably when so many people around the world are suffering with totally treatable illnesses, poverty, starvation etc.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
The Benchwarmer

Some of it is luck, we can't choose where we are born. I'm lucky I fell ass backwards from my mom in the usa, than being born in africa or asia. But you are also an accomplished doctor who shouldn't feel bad for his success. Just pay it forward.

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

I give 35% of my income every single year.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:15 AM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

I donated a leather jacket this year.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
I give nothing and expect nothing. There is nothing to comfortably give after my own family's financial responsibilities are handled.

We do assist and contribute to individuals and/or families in need at church very often. I don't really view that as a donation per se.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

donating i think is a touchy subject, personally i give when the issue hits home and or is somehow related to something i am into.

i usually donate all my old clothes.

as far as money the usual for me is upwards of 20 bucks. 20 bucks is like "i wont miss it" amount.

post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
We donate to a local animal shelter, and I will give to good causes. Last year for example we donated several coats to kids at Abi's elementary school. I also clean out our closets and anything that is usable to given to a women's shelter. Abi is well dressed, and passing those things on to kids of domestic violence is a simple way to help. So while we don't donate a large amount of money, we do donate time, energy and items from the house. We do donate some money, but I want to know it's being used for the cause.

And I believe Jeff was saying that the CELEBRITY Haiti thing was a joke. I bet if you look the celebs were put up in 5 star places, had top notch catering, and had a list of demands that were paid from the donations.

And www.childsplaycharity.org is great

I don't ride, I cook!
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

We don't donate if approached, exceptions being local childrens groups.

We elect groups based on our interests. Examples are local no-kill shelters, PBT, Heart Institute, Little Angels, church etc.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

i hear you guys and once again appreciate the honesty and i am not judging others - just curious where people are at with this. like i said, i feel guilty about having relative excess in life when there are so many suffering from poverty related issues worldwide - i feel a personal moral imperative to distribute wealth more evenly (though BO seems to be doing a nice job of this domestically at least - DONT thread jack!).

sunday morning on cbs had a piece with a teen aged girl that challenged her family to give more and they sold their $2 million home in atlanta and downsized and gave the capital gains (i think like 800k) to villages in the sudan. i just think we live so relatively comfortably and we tend to get so busy in life and with our problems that we dont take the time out to think of how incredibly bad things are in 3rd world countries...myself included.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

I give but my reason is not on the poll.
Very personal reasons

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 AM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaeric View Post
i hear you guys and once again appreciate the honesty and i am not judging others - just curious where people are at with this. like i said, i feel guilty about having relative excess in life when there are so many suffering from poverty related issues worldwide - i feel a personal moral imperative to distribute wealth more evenly (though BO seems to be doing a nice job of this domestically at least - DONT thread jack!).

sunday morning on cbs had a piece with a teen aged girl that challenged her family to give more and they sold their $2 million home in atlanta and downsized and gave the capital gains (i think like 800k) to villages in the sudan. i just think we live so relatively comfortably and we tend to get so busy in life and with our problems that we dont take the time out to think of how incredibly bad things are in 3rd world countries...myself included.
thats mind blowing to the point of self sacrificing beyond the normal.

let me ask you why you think this country tries to help 3rd world issues more then the issues that face us in the USA.

why is it we see so many causes for other countries when reality is this country does more for them when they dont do for themselves, protect (armed forces) to the point billions are spent. billions spent in aid, billions spent in schools, billions spent in food donations.

and a local reality is we have homeless people that die each year cause they cant even get enough warmth and have to sleep on lower wacker. mothers with children begging for food outside aldi "in orland fucken park"!!!!

i was shocked when a women asked me not for money but when i go in if i can buy 1 loaf of bread, 1 jar of peanut butter, and 1 gallon of milk.

i almost cried my ass off.

what about our nations issues. it truly seems if its not tax deductible, wont get you some public PR, then reality is...fuck em.

post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 AM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
I guess when I think about it, I do give more that I realize. Just rarely ever monetarily aside from the weekly church offering (which isn't donation either).

We seem to send about 2 or 3 garbage bags full of clothes to Salvation Army/AmVets once a year. I didn't think of that as donating either. Just stuff we don't want anymore that someone else could make use of that isn't to the point of needing to be thrown out. We never ask for a receipt to claim it on taxes. It kinda loses something then.

I put an entire 6 chair, glass-table dining room set on craiglist last year for free. We got it from a family friend for free, and I just paid it forward.

Meh, we're all just trying to get by.
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
thats mind blowing to the point of self sacrificing beyond the normal.

let me ask you why you think this country tries to help 3rd world issues more then the issues that face us in the USA.

why is it we see so many causes for other countries when reality is this country does more for them when they dont do for themselves, protect (armed forces) to the point billions are spent. billions spent in aid, billions spent in schools, billions spent in food donations.

and a local reality is we have homeless people that die each year cause they cant even get enough warmth and have to sleep on lower wacker. mothers with children begging for food outside aldi "in orland fucken park"!!!!

i was shocked when a women asked me not for money but when i go in if i can buy 1 loaf of bread, 1 jar of peanut butter, and 1 gallon of milk.

i almost cried my ass off.

what about our nations issues. it truly seems if its not tax deductible, wont get you some public PR, then reality is...fuck em.
thanks man. this was the dialogue i was hoping for and expecting. by charity/donations i would absolutely include domestic needs. i did say 3rd world countries but would definitely include the needs of the many here as well.

i guess part of my lazy answer is that we do indirectly donate to domestic needs through taxation and expect that the gov't will be fudiciarly responsible to using this money wisely on social welfare programs...in this way we all donate significantly already. i think as great as our needs are here domestically the needs ARE greater in third world countries - you dont have millions of americans dying from water borne illnesses or vaccinatable diseases for example. and yes, while we pour billions into these countries we also pour billions into social welfare programs. they just arent set up correctly to meet all of the needs out there. our practice volunteers time at a community clinic and runs 2 other large ones in the inner city. i grew up in a poor neighborhood and home so definitely have a big part in my heart for these needs. my heart cries for this woman and her family as well. i personally dont think the very very wealthy as a group (and statistics prove this) donate enough and they are the ones who can have the greatest impact.

speaking on needs - how does clsb maintain itself? i rarely see advertising on here or havent noticed it much.
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM
YO MAMA

Quote:
thanks man. this was the dialogue i was hoping for and expecting. by charity/donations i would absolutely include domestic needs. i did say 3rd world countries but would definitely include the needs of the many here as well.

i guess part of my lazy answer is that we do indirectly donate to domestic needs through taxation and expect that the gov't will be fudiciarly responsible to using this money wisely on social welfare programs...in this way we all donate significantly already. i think as great as our needs are here domestically the needs ARE greater in third world countries - you dont have millions of americans dying from water borne illnesses or vaccinatable diseases for example. and yes, while we pour billions into these countries we also pour billions into social welfare programs. they just arent set up correctly to meet all of the needs out there. our practice volunteers time at a community clinic and runs 2 other large ones in the inner city. i grew up in a poor neighborhood and home so definitely have a big part in my heart for these needs. my heart cries for this woman and her family as well. i personally dont think the very very wealthy as a group (and statistics prove this) donate enough and they are the ones who can have the greatest impact.

speaking on needs - how does clsb maintain itself? i rarely see advertising on here or havent noticed it much.

i hear that but as we all know, our government doesn't do enough and its primary concern is building its capitol from its people through taxing us to death on every aspect of life and pleasure that truly if it wasnt for its massive armed forced that COULD be called upon to protect from domestic terror, i really feel the people would up rise and overtake the government.

as far as this place? when a business approaches us and wants to try to advertise to the members we charge a monthly fee, also there is a donations link on the home page. it pays the bills.

in the olden days it simply came out of tonys and my pocket to fund every aspect of this site. "we did this for years"

donations are always needed and thankfully there is a handful of people on here that do.

they can be seen in this thread. and i thank them all. and call the rest fucken moochers "kidding"

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=70272

post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
The Benchwarmer

I donated to clsb once. Then I realized it was like buying a girl a drink. Wasted and doesn't get me any closer to getting laid

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM
YO MAMA

Clsb is more like a cover charge donation. Just cause I let you in and near the YWB's doesn't mean your gonna get laid

post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Characterized by a lot of time, money, effort, materials and completely random year round acts of Santa Clause when I see true need; especially at the grocery store.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post

as far as this place? when a business approaches us and wants to try to advertise to the members we charge a monthly fee, also there is a donations link on the home page. it pays the bills.

in the olden days it simply came out of tonys and my pocket to fund every aspect of this site. "we did this for years"

donations are always needed and thankfully there is a handful of people on here that do.

they can be seen in this thread. and i thank them all. and call the rest fucken moochers "kidding"

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=70272

well dont want clsb to go away so i will donate OUT OF GUILT
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
The Benchwarmer

Quote:
well dont want clsb to go away so i will donate OUT OF GUILT
that's how they getcha

post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
that's how they getcha
guilt is more cause your know your a douche.

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 02:35 PM

Sportbike: 06 Ninja zx636
Years Riding: 6 years
How you found us: no

Send a message via AIM to Richfiero
I will only Donate if it helps out my and our community. The rest of my donations are taken out of taxes.

06 Sunburst Orange Ninja Zx6r, 06 1250 Sportster.
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

I don't like to give to organizations, they tend to just squander the resources. If I gave $100 and all $100 went to the source, I'd be much more inclined to donate.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richfiero View Post
I will only Donate if it helps out my and our community. The rest of my donations are taken out of taxes.
yup - thats what i was saying for how my money goes to provide domestic relief. just wish the g'ment was better at using this money for that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
I don't like to give to organizations, they tend to just squander the resources. If I gave $100 and all $100 went to the source, I'd be much more inclined to donate.
i hate this too.

from 1995:

ALEXANDRIA, Va., June 23 The former president of United Way of America, William Aramony, was sentenced today to seven years in prison for fraudulently diverting $1.2 million of the charity's money to pay for a romance with a teen-age girlfriend and other benefits for himself and friends.

from 2003:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- A former United Way executive pleaded guilty Thursday to stealing nearly $1.9-million to buy expensive show horses in what is believed to be the biggest embezzlement case in the agency's history.

from 2009:

CHARLOTTE - Former United Way President Gloria Pace King, fighting accusations of embezzlement, says she had legitimate business reasons for charging hotel stays, Carolina Panthers football tickets, a $5,000 book about her career and high-end restaurant meals to the agency.

makes you sick.
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:27 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

I give because I'm forced to. It's called Taxes.
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Umbrella charity groups (like the United Way) are usually festering cesspools of political back scratching all ripe with embezzlement or misappropriation of funds based on who owes who what favor, who can direct business for to some other member in return for a favor and not who is the most needy or where the dollar will go furthest (bang for the buck).

I avoid them and the Red Cross at all costs.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

I cant cast my vote since its not listed

I donate strictly for causes related to the fire departments and EMS. Like when you see the fireman and ladies in uniform out in the blazing sun with the boot or..............

For fallen riders and families that need the assistance.

But for the most part I agree with the I donate 35 percent ever two weeks for people to support individuals that abuse the system (with exception to the honest ones)

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Umbrella charity groups (like the United Way) are usually festering cesspools of political back scratching all ripe with embezzlement or misappropriation of funds based on who owes who what favor, who can direct business for to some other member in return for a favor and not who is the most needy or where the dollar will go furthest (bang for the buck).

I avoid them and the Red Cross at all costs.
little anger management needed there arch? i totally agree though and never give to the united way. nothing worse/evil than someone taking advantage of someone else's misfortune...unless it happens on a thread here. the red cross is a truly unfortunate necessity as they are one of the few organizations that have the infrastructure to respond to huge disasters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode