Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Goodnight Pope John Paul II..

535 views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Loki_D_Wolf 
#1 ·
May you now Rest in Peace......

#15 ·
clearwaterms said:
R.I.P.

quick question. At death, does he resume his old name or does he get to keep his title of John Paul II? I am just curious?
He keeps the title of John Paul II. What I want to know is did they tap him on the forehead with the silver hammer, to make sure he was dead. The Vatican has some strange customs. When I was living in Rome, it was my favorite place to visit, it is visually stunning, the works of art in that place just awesome. A place everyone should see.

RIP Karol......although I didn't agree with your religious beliefs, I still think you are one hell of a guy. You played a major part in bringing down the Soviet Empire. I was one of the 15 million odd folks he met during his papacy, a fleeting touch of his hand, on my hand in a passing motorcade in Rome and for a very un-religious person like myself, I thought the moment was "special". RIP brother, you shall be missed.

#16 ·
clearwaterms said:
R.I.P.

quick question. At death, does he resume his old name or does he get to keep his title of John Paul II? I am just curious?
Not to get off track--Yes they do. They call his name, and tap him with the silver hammer 3 times. If no response they remove his "Ring" and DESTROY it so no one will ever wear it again. Supposedly they are removing the name John Paul to honor him from the future names of Popes. He will be known as John Paul the Great.

#17 ·
RickC1957 said:
You played a major part in bringing down the Soviet Empire. I was one of the 15 million odd folks he met during his papacy, a fleeting touch of his hand, on my hand in a passing motorcade in Rome and for a very un-religious person like myself, I thought the moment was "special". RIP brother, you shall be missed.
The first challenge on the international scene that John Paul II had to address, at Christmas 1978, was the war that was about to break out between Argentina and Chile over control of three islands south of the Beagle Channel.

The Pope's intervention helped avert war. He counted on the aid of his envoy, Cardinal Antonio Samorè. This treaty was signed in the Vatican City as well. The first of many unprecidented events that the Holy See presided over.

I was 10 years old on the south side when I saw John Paul II on the rooftop of Quigley South...I am a religious person and I respect and understand the feeling you got that day, Rick. Thanks for expressing them.

The door is open, Pontiff. Walk through, your place there is ready.

#18 ·
RickC1957 said:
What I want to know is did they tap him on the forehead with the silver hammer, to make sure he was dead.
I heard on the news that they didn't do it, but they did call his name 3 times. I might be wrong on this next point, but the ring might also be used as a seal for official documents, so that is why it is destroyed.

RIP Papiez. Idz z Bogiem.

#19 ·
vjb77 said:
I was 10 years old on the south side when I saw John Paul II on the rooftop of Quigley South...I am a religious person and I respect and understand the feeling you got that day, Rick. Thanks for expressing them.

The door is open, Pontiff. Walk through, your place there is ready.
I was at Quigley South too that day (I was a sophomore at Quigley North at the time). What impressed me was when one of the students (I think his name was Jim Minor) presented the Pope with a soccer ball - the Pope actualy started bouncing it. The Pope was an athlete in his youth - he played soccer and hockey (I even heard on the news in an interview with a childhood friend that he got a scar on his forehead when he was hit by a puck). He also was part of the struggle against communism and naziism (he was actually blacklisted by the Nazis and no doubt had he been caught, he might have been executed, for who knows what other anti-Nazi underground activities he engaged in). Add to that his activities in the arts (he was an actor and an author). And this was all before he became Pope.

He was truly a "Renaissance man" who, as the urban culture would put it, had "cred". He was a personal example of how you didn't have to give up fun to live a Christian life and how to influence the world for good. And for that reason I will personally miss him. His successor will have very big shoes to fill.

#20 ·
God is everywhere

Not a believer in the Catholic ways but can always appreciate and honor someone, whatever their beliefs, in doing worldly good. I want to type R.I.P. and thanks. I'm sure your good will affect me sometime in the future - if it hasn't already.

(hope this thread isn't basterdized)

Peace

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.