Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

BHF Weekend - 6/25 & 6/26

2K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  ronhix 
#1 ·
Since I'm the doorknob that didn't go up for both days, I'll get the thread started.

First off to the people that were there - Ken, Butch & son, Ronhix, Chills and bwa...pleasure as always. To the other members that I finally got to meet formally (vimkgt, TJPilot, and Grouch) looking forward to the next time!

I can very safely say that yesterday was the BEST track experience I've ever had. :thumbsup NESBA capped all the entries to keep the # of riders per group less than 25. For anyone that's done a NESBA Beginner day with the usual 50+ hacks getting in your way... you can imagine how nice 25 would feel. Now imagine there was only 18 riders out there, because that's all there were!

It felt like a private track school. I had my very own CR for three+ sessons, and virtually open track. I learned more, and improved more, than all the riding I did last year combined. Unreal. The track was so empty that we had time to slow down and practice certain parts, working on lines & fundamentals. You just don't expect that kind of attention when you sign up for a trackday! Awesome.

As for the daily recap - only one late sesson member getoff. Jon (vimktg) had a bit of a lowside in 6. He seemed okay save for a couple of bruises, and the bike should ride again. Everyone else was doing there usual fast stuff.

Chills, good to see you back out. Ken, Ron, TJ and the other fast guys? I hate you all. Chris, looking forward to the pics!

Honorable mention to Ken for babysitting me while I tried to get my tires changed, and sharing his pit (and beer). You were a huge help man! :cheers

Hope you're all having as much fun out there today!

See less See more
#2 ·
Underdog, it was good to see you out at the track again. It was also great to see tjpilot, his wife, Grouch, Ken, and Butch out there. And thanks to BWA and his gf for coming out and cheering me on... lol.

This was my first trackday of the season, and since I hadn't been on the track since September I was a bit rusty. During the first two sessions I felt like I was made of stone, so stiff and I couldn't get in a rhythm. My lines were off, and my speed was slow. But the third session I somehow broke through my own personal fog. The smoothness returned, I saw the lines on the track bright as day, and best of all I had fun again.

I think there were only 18 people in the I group, but it seemed less than that. Not once did I have to wait on the start grid, because as soon as the A group was off we were on the track riding. It was great having all that room. But when I was actually in a group of riders I started passing people. On the 5th session each lap I was able to pass another rider. Thanks, NESBA for putting on a great day.

One more thing. I want to thank Maureen, my girlfriend, for everything. It was very hot, yesterday, and she put up with the heat and the sun to help me out and be with me at the track. She helped my change my front tire, adjust my front brakes, and set everything up in the pits. She had the rear stand waiting for me after every session. She also made me sandwiches, had cold gatorade and water waiting for me, and took care of my gear between sessions. I couldn't have a better girlfriend. Thanks, sweetie.

#3 · (Edited)
well i dont know where to start but the more important thing is Ron Hix, had a BAD highside, knocked him right the blank out, laying flat on the track, when i saw it was him...i was mad and worried a friend got hurt.

last i heard he is awake moving all his parts, but it sounds like he had a concushion(sp?), thats the last i heard since from the ambulance they took him RIGHT to the hospitol.
"on sunday"
i hope your feelings better buddy, i also want to thank you and your family for making me feel as i was your family too, it sucks this happened i honestly was having a major good time hanging with you bro.
heal up quick brother.

also there was some more red flags sunday, about 1 hr after ron went down, some new women? ran off T1 from the reports i gathered, it wasnt a bad crash, nor tumble "so they said" BUT she got knocked out big time so hard i guess her breathing stoped, another rider passed by her and said she was shaking weird, the ems went out there and i guess it was major enough to call in the helicopter to get her out of there, right before they put her in we saw her feet move and she gave us what seemed to be a thumbs up ,alot of us cheered her, thanking god she was ok, its so hard to see our peirs get hurt, but we feel good if they are looking like they are in good spirts.
heal up quick too, and i hope nothing major is wrong with you either.

those were the 2 bad ones that hit me, and others at the track today.

other then that the HEAT was a mother FUCKER!!!!! god dam was it hot, so hot on saturday i didnt ride 1 session went back out and feel to peices i could not focus right, so i decided to call it a day"was around 3:30"

today was much better not as hot but STILL HOT!
i was already tierd, but had some fun with sean "moto178".

was running steady 19' &20 hit a 18, but the coolest part is my bike is hooking up like MINT! since i changed that rear spring.
but again after the heat, bein tierd, and see all i did, i called it a day, to much was going on in my head.

anyway, thats the news, i hope our brothers and sisters that got hurt this weekend heal up fast and no after affects.

and Ron, i am pulling for ya homie.

#5 · (Edited)
Definately not the best BHF weekend, way too hot, too many people crashing out especially given how small our grid sizes were.

Worst crashes were like Ken said, that girl Linda that crashed in T1 and got airlifted on her first outing on the track (she was an Intro rider apparently but allowed to ride in a later session) Not cool at all to see a chopper come in, but at least she seemed OK, I heard Garth talking to her on his phone and she is staying overnite at the hospital but should be released by tommorow.

And Ronhix's crash was pretty bad too... Hopefully you're OK Ron, sucks that you earned a trip to the hospital crashing out in T6, but from the sound of it you are gonna be one angry and sore but 100% in tact mofo :2rockin

I crashed too in the same corner Ron did at the last session Saturday. Didn't feel right the whole day, rear end was sliding a lot, and that time around I was pushing hard because it started feeling better after I messed with suspension a bit. I guess the bike didn't feel as good as I did and the rear finally just gave up right at the apex of the first part of T6 and I'm just glad the fucker didn't catch again and highside me.

I'm sore as hell, but no real damage to myself. Bike wasn't too bad, fairing bracket broke, fairings are shit now, dented tank, broke the master brake cylinder, bent clipons, ground down footpegs, just the usual damage. I'm such a shitty mechanic that it took me like 6 hours today (in the heat) to make it rideable again when I bet anyone else coulda done it in 2 :jester Thanks to CR Tony for all the help and loaning me your brake cylinder.

But damn it was still fun, I finally hit a 1:23 the lap before I crashed, and I was certain I was on my way to a 1:22 until T6 bit me. One of the CR's (Chris I think) told me that was pretty good considering how gutless he thought my old SRAD was down the straights :jester I need to get a real shock instead of running that stock shock that isn't even valved to my weight :bangin :bangin Great meeting all the CLSB'ers at the track... better luck next time, hopefully it won't be so goddamn hot next outing

#9 ·
Oh yeah, almost forgot... goddamn deer ran out in the middle of the track, and from what I heard, rammed into a guy and busted up his fairings. The deer broke its neck, but the guy ended up not crashing somehow. This was like right at the exit of T7 I think.

#13 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help getting my stuff loaded up after I crashed and got taken to the hospital in the ambulance.

Pretty scary, really. I don't remember much about the whole thing to tell you the truth. I remember railing around the track with Chris on my 6 and then I woke up in the Ambulance. BLAM! Just like that. Maybe some of you can fill in the details?

I do remember that I was pushing way too hard trying to get my times under 1:18, which was a very stupid thing to do on my part. How many times to they tell us, "don't try to be fast, try to be smooth...fast will come if you are smooth." Ouch, lesson learned. :rolleyes Well, at least I lived to learn the lesson...and it could have been MUCH worse.

Well, bottom line is that I have absolutely no injuries to speak of and for that I thank: :bow
1. God for watching over me while I was being stupid and pushing too hard.
2. Syed for making a great set of leathers that held up amazingly well.
3. Shoei for making a great helmet.

I'll take pics of my leathers and helmet and post them up so you guys can see and appreciate what I am talking about. The helmet...WOW, I cannot imagine what it would have been like if I wasn't wearing good gear.

The bike looks like it wasn't damaged at all! It is missing a front brake lever, but other than that is seemed to be fine. I'll check it more tomorrow.

AND by the way, vicoden rocks. :jester

#15 ·
That was Ron! Ron, mang that was some freeaky shit going through that turn and seeing you laying on the track like that. I was worried as all hell. Thank god you are allright. I heard it was a pretty spectacular highside coming out of 6A.

Despite the abundance of crashes today, and the heat, it was good times. Kept drinking fluids all day, and felt real good on the track. It was great seeing all of you CLSB'ers out there. Thanks again to JRSmail for the help! See you all next time.

#16 ·
Bummer to hear of the crashes this weekend. Hope everyone heals fast. I got to give it up to you guys that were able to ride both days. I felt sick from over heating on Saturday. Did anyone else see the turkey thru turn 6A on the right side Sat? I had to do a double take. Great seeing everyone this weekend.

#17 ·
roadracekid86 said:
i was at main gate corner working and got the medical people to come out there right away cause the guy was not moving i have worked at the track for 6yrs and never seen a crash that bad

Heath

See you finally got on here Heath. :D

I seen probably worse ones. Kevin Gordons crash in T6 where he took a tree out 2 yrs ago and the big one in late 99 in T1 where we needed 2 helicopters for the same crash.

#18 · (Edited)
RON, thank god man!
me, shannon, and butch got some of your stuff loaded.

i am happy you are doing good.

from what i heard from all accounts, was chris was following you, you passed another slow rider in the big left, then passed another guy going into 6 a little fast and deep, then your rear kicked out, you kinda saved it but it jarred so hard, you flew off and nailed the ground and maybe got knocked out on 1st contact, and you went limp while getting tossed around.

bro it was WAY greasy out there, never the less no matter what aside your ok and didnt break shit.

also dont get to freaked out, if you get dizzy from time to time and throw up.

i got knocked out last year, for 2 seconds, felt fine the rest of the day, the next morning i went to get out of bed, fell to my knees felt like the world was spinning and vomited. dont know if you got any marked on your head, hope not but if you look like me in this pic, dont get freaked out , call the hospitol just to double concur stuff.

its common, call me if you need anything man.

and thank god your ok man, your family was tripping, and rightfully so, cause i did too.

ill PM you my #.

#21 ·
Ron you lucky bastard! I came out to see who was down and they were just rolling you onto the back board. My heart sank pretty hard. The fact that you're OK gives me a big grin.

Butch should be able to give you a very detailed play-by-play. He was standing at the main gate.

#22 · (Edited)
thank god you guys are ok.....................

now the next time you want to have a demo derby go to a real one at a stock car track not on your bikes at blackhawk. :jester seriously glad to hear you are ok ron and that the gear worked it is awesome when the job gets done right.
peace all and rest well
whit :1pimp :1pimp

#23 ·
Sorry to hear about the crashes! Sounds like I got out just in time. I probably would have been really hurt!

Praise God you're all in good shape!

#25 ·
Whew!

Ron I'm so glad to see you up posting in good spirits! :thumbsup Sean called me in the afternoon and told me about your wreck...Bad times. I was a little wigged out the rest of the day. Tough to have that kind of thing happen infront of your whole clan too!

Glad you're on the mend buddy!!

#26 ·
Had a fun time watchin ya guys out there. Damn, it sure didn't help my jonsin to ride again... but i knew it wouldn't. :laughing It was nice to see all the usualls - Chills,Ody, tjpilot, the grouch, and underkitty :twofinger

Man, it sucks to hear about fellow riders going down... glad everyone seems to be ok.

Bill Taborn - man, i didn't get to meet ya... Hope everything is ok with ya, heard ya left in a hurry...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.