Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

My 954 was stolen...keep an eye out for it!

665 views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  butchf 
#1 ·
Although I'm sure it's in pieces by now, some asshole took off with my 954 last wednesday. I had it up for sale on ebay, this dude called, said his name was "Johnny Martinez", and said he wanted to buy it. He showed up that night with a cashiers check, and took off with the bike. My bank called me today to let me know it was a counterfeit check--

If you see my bike, knock his ass out!

#3 · (Edited)
That looked like a nice track bike...damn dude... Remember that thread we had on here about casheirs checks. Always call to verify funds before you release the bike.

Have them fax you a copy of the check before they come out..
You call info and get the number to the bank, don't use the number they provide.
Get all the info on the buyer you can..

#6 ·
Of course I've got insurance. BUT, the shit of it is..... Both the police, and Progressive Insurance, say it was not technically "theft" because I handed over the keys. They say it's considered fraud, not theft, and auto insurance doesn't cover fraud. Home owners insurance does, but only up to $1000. I'm meeting with progressive tomorrow, we'll see what happends. Keep your fingers crossed!

#9 ·
WELEPRO said:
Of course I've got insurance. BUT, the shit of it is..... Both the police, and Progressive Insurance, say it was not technically "theft" because I handed over the keys. They say it's considered fraud, not theft, and auto insurance doesn't cover fraud. Home owners insurance does, but only up to $1000. I'm meeting with progressive tomorrow, we'll see what happends. Keep your fingers crossed!
That REALLY SUCKS!! :mad

#13 ·
I call B.S, when someone passes a bad check to gain product or services it is considered Grand Theft if the amount is over 300.00. WTF get some legal advice....

#14 ·
Didnt you get a copy of ID of any type and get contact info.... Damn Dude......

Buyer beware! Seller Beware!

#15 ·
did you sign over the title?
If not, regardless if you gave him the keys or not, he took the bike without paying for it.
Maybe thats a little too simplistic for high powered insurance companies

#18 ·
kc6 said:
I had talked to erik shortly after he sold it, and he had said he held on to the title just in case. I hope thats enough...
Most thieves won't bother with the title transfer...they either
1) visit dealerships same-day near close of business to sell "their" bike and take whatever they get and give a real cheesy excuse... basically a fast flip (unsigned title in hand, or they forge it)
2) part the bike out within a matter of hours and sell them to local dealerships/internet buyers. (selling a "clean title" frame to an out of state/internet buyer)
3) just ride the bike as-is, using plates from another bike.
4) ship the bike overseas and sell for MASSIVE profit.

#19 ·
I DO still have the title, and the only contact info I have for this clown is the cell # he used to call me with, and the name he used, which I assume is also phony. I'm on my way to Progressive....we'll see what happends.

#20 ·
Good luck with Progressive, Erik. I have heard the same thing about handing over the keys. Damn, that's shitty. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I HATE fuckin' thieves!! Cowardly muthafuckers.

I don't know about getting your bike back, but I sure to hope Progressive admits the bike was stolen and pays up for it.

#22 ·
Good2Go said:
If you have his cell phone # the cops can trace the bill and calls he made from it.
possibly, however, if it's not his phone, or a prepaid phone, or something like that. Also, if the name he used was fake, when the phone shows up to a real person, what are you going to do? Also, I really doubt the police can do much. Short of possibly finding the bike somewhere.

#24 ·
Good news guys.... I met with the claims adjuster from Progressive this morning, and he said it will definatly be considered a theft. "Theft by Deception" is the exact term he used, and he says it's a very common thing, particularly with these phony cashiers checks.

So fortunatly I will get something out of this deal, but I'm sure it won't be nearly what the bike was worth. Let this be a lesson!

#25 ·
Geez I just noticed your sig. Sorry for your loss. What the heck you going to ride after that one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.