2wheelspeed @ Byron - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

The Drag Strip learn and share, also talk about your favorite drag strips.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

2wheelspeed @ Byron

Just as a heads up for anyone into dragbikes or looking for some nearby racing to take in this weekend the www.2wheelspeed.com hardcore dragbike series will be running on both Saturday and Sunday at the Byron Dragway.
They have some pretty interesting classes that support street legal run what you brung racing. I hope to stop in to do some spectating on my way home from a motorcycle rights conference in Peoria. If I get an early start out of Peoria and use I 39 I can catch some drags in the AM and watch some road races at Blackhawk in the afternoon and be back in Chicago for a late dinner.
Click the link for more info on the drags.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Just an Old Guy

Sportbike: '01 Triumph TT600 '95 BMW K1100RS, '83 'Zuk 1100E, '82 GS750E, '41 BSA M20
Years Riding: 38
How you found us: Luck

I raced that series for 5 years and it is a heck of a good time...

Great bunch a racers...great track...and you can win some cash...

Bob T.

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

^^^ That's cool. What bike did you run and in what class? I'm guessing that judging by your "Old guy-Old bike" tag you're into vintage UJM's at least and with 38 years riding you have to be in my age bracket (I'm 58). Tell me more about your time running the drag series...In addition to other types of riding I do I've been jonesin' to get back to drag racing for a while now.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Just an Old Guy

Sportbike: '01 Triumph TT600 '95 BMW K1100RS, '83 'Zuk 1100E, '82 GS750E, '41 BSA M20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
^^^ That's cool. What bike did you run and in what class? I'm guessing that judging by your "Old guy-Old bike" tag you're into vintage UJM's at least and with 38 years riding you have to be in my age bracket (I'm 58). Tell me more about your time running the drag series...In addition to other types of riding I do I've been jonesin' to get back to drag racing for a while now.
54 here...
10-12 years ago I started messing around at the strip with a LT1 Caprice...finally won a class championship with it at Byron..

But watching the bikes, I decided I wanted to try it...wife, not so much...
So, as I approached 50 I told her I needed to do this, so I bought an '82 Zuk 1100E, small tire, bar bike from a known local racer...low 9 sec, 144mph bike...(1.3 60')
Got my license, got a trailer, got some gear and went racing...
Raced RT66 and Byron...plus a few trips to other tracks...for five seasons...great time!

Last year I found out I have APS and will be on Warfarin forever...so I'm done racing...

So now, my bike is for sale... At least you can see the pictures here:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...d.php?t=106961

Later,

Bob T.

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

That's an extremely nice bike, Bob. It's more bike and more sophisticted than I want to get into, otherwise I'd be very interested. I will pass along the info and a link to the for sale thread to a few guys I know who might be interested though. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Do your medical issues keep you from riding on the street? I hope not. I'd like to get a chance to ride out to the track and spectate with you sometime. We could do some bench racing. You could regale me with hair raising tales of the strip and I could counter with some spine tingling stories from my flat tracking days!
I host a brunch for old motorcycle racers on the Sunday after Thanksgiving in Hillside. We have mostly road racers and flat trackers there but we had T.C Christiansen there 2 years ago with his triple engined Hogslayer Norton dragbike and hopefully we'll get him back this year just to hang out. A couple of land speed record guys come, most notably Warner Riley. Everyone is welcome. If you'd like, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a flyer with all the info.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Just an Old Guy

Oh, it's not that sophisticated...in fact, except for some minor electronic upgrades, it is basically the same bike it was when it was built in the mid 80s...

Heck...it has spoke wheels...

Simple to operate also...the slider clutch is just a centrifugal clutch for high power, (apologies if you already know this)...it drives like a scooter...the two levers are front and rear brake...there is no clutch lever...
Hold in the two step button, give it full throttle, let go the button, clutch engages, away you go, hit the shift button when the light comes on....

Yes, I still street ride...
Although, I believe the street is far more dangerous than the track where there is no other cars or curbs or whatever and there is an EMT team...
But it was more of a health insurance issue....

Honestly...I love flat track racing...my Dad use to take me to SanteFe raceway when I was a kid to watch the flat trackers...
It is something I always wanted to do...

Later,

Bob T.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

I decided to delay my departure from Peoria yesterday because everything was wet, so I only had time to make one side trip and I went to the Byron Dragway. Amazingly the weather there turned out pretty good. I was amazed at the turn out of bikes and the times and MPH of not just the modified bikes, but the stockers as well. There was a young guy on a SV 650 that shocked me with his E.T. and terminal speed!
This was my first time at Byron in over 20 years and I like the facility. It hasn't changed much but it's been well kept. I had a chance to talk to a few of the racers and organizers of the bike event and I'm told next year there will be a similar series at the Grove.
Seems like there is bigger interest in drag racing motorcycles than I thought. Not only is there the races but you can go and "test & tune" and practice lightening quick holeshots and get your carbs or fuel map sorted. It's a great outlet for someone who isn't ready for a trackday or road racing yet to feed their need for speed without having to buy alot of support equipment.
I have an interest in all things motorcycle and get around to alot of different type events to spectate or participate in. Finding out that there is some good drag racing going on close to home gives me another way to enjoy the diversity of motorcycling. It's too late to get too involved this season but I hope to see some of you at some of these events next year.

PS Bob...PM me and come to the Legends Brunch if you can. I'd enjoy meeting you and having the chance to introduce you to some of the guys you saw race at Santa Fe.
I started there when I was 19, so if you went there when you were in your mid teens you probably saw me race.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode