Local Rentable Dyno's? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

The Drag Strip learn and share, also talk about your favorite drag strips.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Local Rentable Dyno's?

Hello again --

I managed to get relocated to the Chicago NW burbs recently and I am planning some dyno time. I don't need an operator, I need someone who is willing to rent time on the dyno and since I am new in town I thought I would drop a line here and see what I could come up with.

I need a dyno that reads up to 500 HP (over would be better, but that level of tuning can wait until winter) that has a brake. A DJ250 will work fine.

I don't mind a bit of a drive (how could I if I moved here?!? ) but I need some intimate time with my baby. Oops, sounds like I plan on doing something else, doesn't it?

At any rate, I know there are vendor limitations on this site, so feel free to PM me if anyone has any ideas!

Thanks,
Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:26 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

well, thats gonna be a hard one, considering like a factory eddie dyno cost like god knows how much, let alone the software and other gizmos to control it.

i think thats going to be a pain in the ass,

1 thing i will say for 4&6 up in skokie, and i do not know if they will just let you use there stuff, i have done PLENTY of dyno work, and i am not the type of guy just to drop off and pick my bike up and get a report, UH UH, i am there playing with them, tweaking my own shit along with them, 1 hand working with the other, most cases them guiding me with certains things i dont know and then testing it on the dyno.

so like i said, i dont know if they are just gonna let you use it, "honestly i wouldnt cause if it breaks, i am out money to fix it, and out on time getting backed up fixing it and ordering parts IF something was to happen, to much crap to deal with"

but for sure i can say they are a bunch of cool guys to work with on your bike, hope something can work between you guys.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:29 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
This is completely off the cuff for me, but I seriously doubt any shop would rent a dyno, even if they keep it at their shop. Unless you are properly trained (which you very well could be), it's possible to ruin both the dyno and the bike, especially when making dyno runs involving horsepower that high. Letting a non-employee use any piece of equipment would void any warranties on the equipment and place them at a liability.

Good luck, damn, 500hp on a XX?

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I did notice that they had a Factory dyno from reading their site, but typically when people go to that level of dyno they are less likely to just rent it to someone they don't know. More often people with DJ250's are willing to rent it.

Thanks for the prompt response, by the way.

I'll wait and see what they have to say. It is probably not the normal bike they would typically work on and I am a little funny about who I will let work on it. Ice-cooled, turbo-charged, DTA P8-Pro controlled 500 HP bikes aren't all that common, so unless they have experience with that specific of a set up, I'd be doing it myself.

Even just a dyno operator is fine, just that it is probably unnecessary, really.

Of course, sponsorship deals are always open for discussion as well. (I have space for rent!)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Grover
This is completely off the cuff for me, but I seriously doubt any shop would rent a dyno, even if they keep it at their shop. Unless you are properly trained (which you very well could be), it's possible to ruin both the dyno and the bike, especially when making dyno runs involving horsepower that high. Letting a non-employee use any piece of equipment would void any warranties on the equipment and place them at a liability.

Good luck, damn, 500hp on a XX?

-Chris
I hear you, I really do about the liability aspects.

My experience in the past is that once the owner of the dyno has spent some time at my side, they feel pretty comfortable letting me run things after only a few pulls.

And yes, 500HP is on RADAR for me now. I made 486 HP when the fuel system was proven inadequate. I still had 10 PSI of boost left too. Now I have redone the entire fuel system, electronics, and wiring. In other words, I have pulled out all of the stops. Anything less than 500 will be an utter disappointment in the long run.

For now, however, I just need to map up to 28 PSI for the track so that I can get some seat time at Byron before the snow flies.

Worst case, I'll do the tuning at the track using the wide-band and data logging. I'd just rather show up more prepared to focus on clutch/chassis and do the majority of the tuning in advance.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 12:19 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

4&6 has worked on plenty of turbo stuff, infact busadaves bike is a 200+ EAST turbo bike, and not to mention i think it was hanes? turbo people that messed up bikes, and 4&6 fixes them, go figure...lol

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Where are the races?

Sportbike: 01 Busa
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: cant remeber!

Send a message via AIM to twistedspeed
give me a call i can help you out! 630-461-1080 jake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode