Launce technique - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

The Drag Strip learn and share, also talk about your favorite drag strips.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Launch technique

I mentioned this previously over in the Stunt Talk section, but thought it might be more appropriate over here.

Along with refining a lot of my riding skills I've been playing with my take-off from a dead stop. If I'm just taking off for the purpose of starting from a stop sign or something I let the clutch out and add just enough throttle to keep it from dying. Once the clutch is fully engaged, I just rev it up until I'm ready to shift. The problem is obviously the period from 2k to 6k where my 250 makes very little power. So far I've been trying to rev the motor to 6k or so and let the clutch out slow enough to keep it from dropping much. Am I on track here?

I'm not trying to break any records here, but I'm trying to squeeze everything out of this little 250 that I can. I have hit top speed (about 105mph, ~115 indicated) but it takes a mile or so and a bit of a tailwind. It will hit redline at about the same time it runs out of power to overcome any more air resistance.

Yeah, you'll probably tell me I'm trying to kill either myself or my little bike, but I try to be careful. My top speed runs are limited to a little-traveled but good-condition rural road a few miles from home. Honestly, most of the time I'm a fairly docile rider. I have spooked myself a few times, usually when I just get on the bike and I'm being a dumbass and trying to show off.

Last edited by SeththeRuthless; 06-25-2005 at 12:23 AM. Reason: damn misspellings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 03:29 AM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

Try taking off with the engine reved up to the rpm where your powerband kicks, not dropping the clutch but slighltly dragging on it while rolling on the gas.May cause the front wheel to lift off a few inches but it gives a nice feeling . I had extremely good results with this technique drag racing back in India.

Maybe some of the more experienced guys can shed more light on the issue.....

My best 1/4mile time - 13.8s on an Rd/Rz 350(not sure of the speed) drag racing still getting popular over there and we have no real strips. Just an old airfield outside the city where events are organized on weekends with minimum equipment. The rest of the time- sat night is drag night in the middle of the city. The cops are paid off if they decide they need money for dinner and show up.

Last edited by ashwingop; 06-25-2005 at 03:49 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 06:06 PM

Go ahead and let the clutch out reeeeaaaaalllllll slow at 6k. You'll get to know your bike real quick when you get to do your first clutch swap. I can almost guarantee it won't be long if you keep doing this.

First you post up about trying to wheelie the thing and now this. It shows that you've been riding since May - get a bit more experience. A 250 is not a stunt/drag bike. Drive safe, keep it a bit slower, and get the skills necessary to move up to a 600 in a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeththeRuthless
I have spooked myself a few times, usually when I just get on the bike and I'm being a dumbass and trying to show off.
You said it yourself. Don't be a dumbass and don't show off. You made a good decision buying a 250, use it for it's intended purpose of being a good bike to learn on. Good luck, ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschaffer
You made a good decision buying a 250, use it for it's intended purpose of being a good bike to learn on.
but he is learning on it. learning how to go nuts... better on that bike than on something faster, expensive and more dangerous.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

C'mon, I think you're being just a little bit hard on me here. If the point of starting on a 250 IS NOT to gain experiance and master technique then tell me what it is!? I figured the idea here was to get the feel on something forgiving that won't put me on my ass before I get the hang of it.

I'd rather be a good rider on a bad bike than a bad rider on a good bike, because the bike can always be changed.

I'll let you know when I replace my first clutch, but I'm not going to sweat it. A bit of work like that doesn't bother me, and it does slip a bit when I'm running up through the gears hard anyway. It could very well be low clamping pressure inherent to the design rather than worn friction disks. I need to pull the top off the motor to set the valves in a few hundred miles anyway.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:31 PM

I stated the obvious - you have maybe 2 months riding experience. I also stated that the 250 is a great bike to learn on. It's plenty forgiving but I can assure you that even the most forgiving bike is more than capable of throwing you on your ass. Trying to pull wheelies or launching hard just increases the possibility of you getting tossed - but I do agree that the 250 is not as likely to throw you as anything bigger.

It makes not one bit of difference to me how you ride. I'm just letting you know, as someone with a few more years of experience, that you should consider taking it easy and get very well acquainted with the bike before you take it to the next level. Also, I don't know the history of your bike, but I've put over 30,000 miles on my clutch and it isn't slipping yet - you may want to check your adjustment if it is slipping.

Not trying to start any kind of a flame war here - just trying to pass on some of what I've picked up through my years of riding.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Hey, no hard feelings man, you just came off sounding rather judgemental. I don't know everything and I don't have years of experiance, but that's why I'm here asking for a bit of advice from those of you who do have more experiance. Don't worry, if I drop the bike trying some stupid stunt, I'll be the first to admit it and call myself a dumbass.

I've often the first person to speak up when I hear someone who has never been on a bike act they could go out and get and R1 the next day and ride like a pro. Everyone has their learning curve. I'm only expanding my experiance because I'm quite comfortable with the basic aspects of riding and I have developed a good feel for my bike. My experiments with more advanced manuevers such as off the line accleration and a bit of wheelies has only improved my feel and control on the bike. You can't learn if you don't try.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 04:22 AM

Sportbike: r1, rs warrior
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: ???

Send a message via AIM to rice
doing a darg launch is not much different then leaving a stop sign. you want to feed on gas as you let out the cutch.never dump the clutch or come out at 8 grand,it's not a pro stock bike. the trick is to let the clutch as quick and SMOOTHLY as it will take,if it bogs then you let it out too fast,it's a very fine line

please do yourself a favor and go out and get youself a copy of kieth codes
'twist of the wrist 2" read it ,memorize it,practice it ,then read it again. it's the best $20 i EVER spent.

rice
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice
'twist of the wrist 2" read it ,memorize it,practice it ,then read it again. it's the best $20 i EVER spent.

rice
Sounds like a plan; I will have to add it to my already long summer reading list!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:16 PM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice
doing a darg launch is not much different then leaving a stop sign. you want to feed on gas as you let out the cutch.never dump the clutch or come out at 8 grand,it's not a pro stock bike. the trick is to let the clutch as quick and SMOOTHLY as it will take,if it bogs then you let it out too fast,it's a very fine line

rice

Twist of the wrist 2 taught me a lot about riding, that book is worth a lot more than $20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode