just got my geforce fx5500 video card today
after the install booted up my computer
started up fine
icons were huge though and I could not see my task bar
I tried to adjust anything I could think of
even when I hit the start button that would not come up
I restarted the computer, it went through the first few screens ok
but then just became black, desk top would not show up

I switch the monitor cable back to my old video card and the desk top appeared with no problems

what could be causing this? what can I try?

#3 ·
You need to start the computer in safe mode so that you can adjust the display settings to a default level. You enter safe mode by pressing F8 before Windows boots up. Once in safe mode. Right click on the desktop, click on settings, adjust the screen resolution to 800*600. This should allow you to restart the computer with basic screen resolution settings with the new video card and monitor, and slowly adjust the settings to your liking.

#4 ·
Using your old video card, download and install the new driver for your new video card. Then install your new video card. Usually this takes care of issues.

#5 ·
ChiefBD said:
You need to start the computer in safe mode so that you can adjust the display settings to a default level. You enter safe mode by pressing F8 before Windows boots up. Once in safe mode. Right click on the desktop, click on settings, adjust the screen resolution to 800*600. This should allow you to restart the computer with basic screen resolution settings with the new video card and monitor, and slowly adjust the settings to your liking.

Would his screen go black though? Sounds like more than a resolution issue. But, I could be wrong.

#8 ·
Wiat I just noticed you did not uninstall your old video card before installing your new video card. I suggest:

Using old video card, download/install new driver for new video card.
Uninstall old video card
Install new video card.

#9 ·
whiteSeatEnvy said:
Would his screen go black though? Sounds like more than a resolution issue. But, I could be wrong.

Yeah, I was going to add to look for an updated driver if these options do not work.

#10 ·
shadrach said:
Are you running BOTH video cards at the same time, or is one a replacement?

Ha ha beat me to it.

#11 ·
On second thought, just uninstall the old card and install the new card. Save the driver update until after you know the card is functioning.

#13 ·
Sounds like you need a mac! But for those windows users i still have some sympathy...

Sounds like a resolution issue to me, like what was being said before, make sure you have the right drivers installed. Also, when the device is installed, and you reboot the computer, dont go crazy with the resolution settings until you know it works. Sometimes the monitor cannot support some resolutions and/or refresh rates which cause them to flip out.

Also, i do not recall, but there may be a setting in your BIOS which lets you pick which display adapter is the default device. If not in the bios, you can set that up in Windows (im assuming you are using Windows XP).

Or....just get a mac...its pretty much plug and play...any monitor, any tv..hehe

Hope that helped.

#21 ·
Did you disable the built in video card in the bios?
Just wondering? Is the video card PCI or AGP? That might have something to do with it.

#23 ·
Just for general performance tweaks, increase your virtual memory, and defrag once in a while.

Gotta love windows

#24 ·
cruzr180 said:
It is PCI
The performance increase of a mother board with AGP is well worth the cost.

#25 ·
The performance increase, lack of viruses, increased security, and lack of all the hassles above is well worth the cost of a Mac.

#26 ·
Wink said:
The performance increase, lack of viruses, increased security, and lack of all the hassles above is well worth the cost of a Mac.

But you can't change everything in a Mac. I can buy some parts tomorrow and make a completely different and new PC. I would have to buy another Mac, more flexibility with a PC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.