Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

White Sox Bashing?

1K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  mthal 
#1 ·
White Sox Lack TV Allure of Red Sox By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
2 hours, 31 minutes ago

The Fox network might be missing the Boston Red Sox this October as much as New England baseball fans.

The Chicago White Sox's championship drought is longer than the one ended by Boston last year, but its quest has far less appeal to the casual TV viewer. The opening game of the White Sox-Astros World Series didn't even crack Nielsen Media Research's top 10 last week, and Game 2 was eclipsed by ABC's Sunday lineup.

The two games were seen by 15 million and 17.2 million respectively, compared to 23.2 million and 25.5 million for the opening games of the Boston-St. Louis series last year, Nielsen said.

Fox also prospered last year with the Red Sox-Yankees American League Championship Series, making the difference between the two years even more stunning. Fox's prime-time average viewership for the same week last year was 22 million — double its closest rival — while this year Fox barely made second place with 10.6 million viewers.

It not only makes for glum advertisers but far less exposure to commercials touting Fox's programming.

CBS continued its unbeaten streak for the season, winning the week with an average of 13.1 million viewers (8.6 rating, 14 share), and also winning among viewers aged 18 to 49. Fox had 10.6 million (6.9, 11), ABC 10.5 million (6.8, 11), NBC 9.3 million (6.3, 10), the WB 3.7 million (2.4, 4), UPN 3.5 million (2.3, 4) and Pax TV 530,000 (0.4, 1)

NBC's "Nightly News" handily won the evening news ratings race, averaging 9.4 million viewers (6.6, 14). ABC's "World News Tonight" had 8.3 million viewers (6.0, 12) and the "CBS Evening News" 7.3 million (5.2, 11).

A ratings point represents 1,102,000 households, or 1 percent of the nation's estimated 110.2 million TV homes. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.

For the week of Oct. 17-23, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships: "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," CBS, 28.5 million; "Desperate Housewives," ABC, 25.2 million; "Lost," ABC, 21.4 million; "Without a Trace," CBS, 19.8 million; "Grey's Anatomy," ABC, 18 million; "CSI: Miami," CBS, 17.9 million; "Survivor: Guatemala," CBS, 17.8 million; "NCIS," CBS, 17.7 million; World Series Game 2: Houston vs. Chicago, Fox, 17.2 million; "Commander in Chief," ABC, 16.3 million.

___

On the Net:

http://www.nielsenmedia.com

See less See more
#6 ·
I still wonder, how do these ratings work, get calculated.

Has anyone on this board ever had a Neilsons box in thier home? or know anyone who has.

Do they(Neilson's ratings) now get the information from cable boxes?

I really want to know how they get radio ratings:twofinger

#11 ·
Jughead said:
I still wonder, how do these ratings work, get calculated.

Has anyone on this board ever had a Neilsons box in thier home? or know anyone who has.

Do they(Neilson's ratings) now get the information from cable boxes?

I really want to know how they get radio ratings:twofinger
I don't know about the radio ratings but, they are likely to be calculated in the same fashion as tv ratings.

There are devices that are attached to cable converters or sattelite receivers but, you still have to keep a log, or journal.

#13 ·
Bill Taborn said:
I don't know about the radio ratings but, they are likely to be calculated in the same fashion as tv ratings.

There are devices that are attached to cable converters or sattelite receivers but, you still have to keep a log, or journal.
My friend had one. You have to keep a log because who actually turns off their cable box every time. People just turn off the t.v. so Nielsen would be tracking that channel all day..

Bosox are just a bigger draw..Don't forget about the east cost biased of ESPN... I'm sure the Astros are not helping the ratings too much. I wonder how those ratings compared to the Cubs in the NLCS and NLDS..

#17 ·
Keyhole said:
Yea but do you think if it was the Cubs vs. Twins there would be more viewers? Damn right there would be...Cubs are a more popular team.

Face it, few people in Chicago care about the Sox and even fewer outside Chicago :p
I don't care if the Sox are not the most popular team. Last I checked this wasn't a popularity contest. If people are not watching the White Sox, they are missing some incredible games. Their loss!

Since I am a Sox fan, I really could care less about the Cubs. My two Favorite teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs.

#21 ·
Cubs fans aren't about winning, they are about having fun! Just ask the beer man at any Cubs game. And by the way, the Cubs made it to the playoffs not all that long ago.

Hey, I am still a Royals fan at heart. So any Chicago team does well, that is great. The part that amazes me is that Sox fans bitch about people saying go Sox! Hey, who cares if a Yankee fan is cheering the Sox, as long as it is for the Sox, that is better than the alternative.

When I watch the SuperBowl, I don't have to have a home team, I can enjoy cheering for whoever I cheer for. All this bickering crap is ridiculous.

Every time I hear a Sox fan bitching about someone else cheering the Sox on, it makes me dislike the Sox more and more. Maybe I should correct that, it makes me dislike Sox fans in general more and more. Don't be part of the stereotypical Sox fans, welcome support, and enjoy your Championship!

Signed,

Kansas City Transplant

(Ok, go ahead a FLAME me..., I expect it from Sox fans)

#22 ·
Wink said:
Cubs fans aren't about winning, they are about having fun! Just ask the beer man at any Cubs game. And by the way, the Cubs made it to the playoffs not all that long ago.

Hey, I am still a Royals fan at heart. So any Chicago team does well, that is great. The part that amazes me is that Sox fans bitch about people saying go Sox! Hey, who cares if a Yankee fan is cheering the Sox, as long as it is for the Sox, that is better than the alternative.

When I watch the SuperBowl, I don't have to have a home team, I can enjoy cheering for whoever I cheer for. All this bickering crap is ridiculous.

Every time I hear a Sox fan bitching about someone else cheering the Sox on, it makes me dislike the Sox more and more. Maybe I should correct that, it makes me dislike Sox fans in general more and more. Don't be part of the stereotypical Sox fans, welcome support, and enjoy your Championship!

Signed,

Kansas City Transplant

(Ok, go ahead a FLAME me..., I expect it from Sox fans)

Spoken like a true recent transplant to Chicago"land".:laughing :laughing Get back to me whan you've spent 50+ years livin' on da sout side.:laughing

#23 ·
Wink said:
Well it's alot more fun when you are winning :)

And yes, we made it within one game of the World Series and I know a few White Sox fans personally that were dying inside :laughing

Sound like you got a good head on your shoulders Wink, plenty of room on the North Side for ya :2rockin:

#24 ·
Keyhole said:
Exactly how I feel, except the other way around. I had no idea that the White Sox had more than the 8000 fans that usually show up to their games.
There are a lot more Sox fans than you can imagine. A large number of Cubs fans are rooting for the White Sox. This shows that these Cubs fans are not true fans, so there are less actual Cub fans than you think.

#26 ·
mthal said:
There are a lot more Sox fans than you can imagine. A large number of Cubs fans are rooting for the White Sox. This shows that these Cubs fans are not true fans, so there are less actual Cub fans than you think.

I am a cubs fan, I prefer everything about the cubs. However, I am rooting for the sox's to win. I don't think that makes me any less of a cubs fan. The cubs are done for the season, does that mean I am done watching baseball? Come January when the bears are not in the superbowl, can I not watch it, because two other teams, teams that I probably rooted against during the regular season are playing, I have to watch lifetime instead?

This is what bothers me about the Sox's, it's fans take the game WAY to seriously, it's a god damn GAME. Cubs fans realize this, we know how to have fun despite the fact that are team might not win, we will support our team regardless of there standings. Sox's fans only show up to a winning team. Cubs fans show up regardless.

Also, to the people that say the Cubs are not more popular, get a clue. The cubs, the yankee's and the red sox's are probably (in no particular order) the three most popular teams in baseball. Atlanta is a popular team as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.