LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Slow Poke

Sportbike: Suzuki GS500F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Linked!

Send a message via AIM to DJDevo
the help a newb thread

Not that I think I should be doing wheelies at a whopping 4 months of riding experience, but I am curious how to do it. My gs500f doesn't have enough juice to do a power standup in any gear at any rpm so I think, at least by my understanding, that I would be bound to a clutch wheelie... Correct me if I'm wrong, but my thinking would be to load up a bit, pop the clutch and the front end will go up.... Sound about right? ...note... educational purposes only..my dumbass already learned the hard way about a stoppie, but im just a curious bastard.

<----- Matt

"cock sucking mother fucker asshole money hungry cock sucking stupid mother fucker!" - Odysseys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 03:35 AM

Sportbike: 04 R6
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: search

Send a message via AIM to R6AJ
yea that sounds about right, but you dont really need to bounce. On my R6 i bring it to around 6-8k in second gear, pull the clutch in, rev to about 10-12k, then pop it in. Comes right up

I dont think the 500 is enough to power wheelie (or chop wheelie) If you do clutch a wheelie, try slow. Like second gear and practice on various rpms, starting on the lower band obviously.

We all undertake a modicum of risk everytime we thumb the starter-it's just inherent to the sport.
www.R6Rider.com

Last edited by R6AJ; 09-26-2004 at 03:37 AM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 06:16 AM

Sportbike: limbo
Years Riding: Scars date back to 19**
How you found us: ...............

Re-gear your bike and it should be no problem. Probably work fine as is clutching up 2nd gear. Slide yourself back as far as you can, might need to tug on the bars a bit. About 35-45mph and it should come up when you pop the clutch. Have you tried learning power wheelies in first yet? Might be a good way to start if she don't budge in 2nd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Slow Poke

Sportbike: Suzuki GS500F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Linked!

Send a message via AIM to DJDevo
LOL, thanks for the tips.... scratch, it won't power wheelie only being a 500cc... at least if I understand the concept of power wheelie which to me would be just throttling up enough to the front end to come up. If so, I can crank it all the way open, it ain't goin' nowhere

<----- Matt

"cock sucking mother fucker asshole money hungry cock sucking stupid mother fucker!" - Odysseys
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:54 PM
scratchy

Sportbike: 03 F4i, 04 fiddy
Years Riding: Making up for 7 years without
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to Billyboy
some tips here, clutch wheelies are more predictable and safer as you can pop it with less speed. theres more to clutch wheelies than revving the engine and dropping the clutch, if the wheel comes up is a matter of how much throttle you have on when the clutch comes down, i'd guess like 50% throttle in first would get you up, on my f4i it takes just a little for 1st, maybe a third or half in 2nd for standups (still working on sitdowns lol)

i found stand ups easier to learn, L foot on the Rr pass. peg, just practice little by little somewhere safe like a lot to get over the "oh shit i'm standing" and always cover the rear brake just in case. standups are a lot easier to pop than sit downs, and when you finally get the wheel up the visibility is much better

Causally determined by various factors, only some of which I know about.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:09 PM

Sportbike: limbo
Years Riding: Scars date back to 19**
How you found us: ...............

Quote:
Originally posted by DJDevo
LOL, thanks for the tips.... scratch, it won't power wheelie only being a 500cc... at least if I understand the concept of power wheelie which to me would be just throttling up enough to the front end to come up. If so, I can crank it all the way open, it ain't goin' nowhere
Sorta but not quite. With the way I do a "power" wheelie it's about getting up to speed, chopping the throttle (letting off) a bit and then a small bounce followed by either wide open throttle or 3/4 + throttle. All of this done in concert and in a small space of time to make it feel 'instant'. Clutching is a good, more predictable way of bringing it up and that's the way I've been doing it for years. And yes it's not quite as simple as dumping the clutch, but it's hard to explain and usually just comes with practice. It's about timing and that can only be learned by repetition. You develop a style, some people "slip" the clutch and others snap it, it's whatever works for you and your ride. Just remember that sometimes you think you're giving it enough throttle but you may not be, you might be holding back just a bit. I found this to be one of my hurdles when I was first learning.

A good friend of mine was convinced that his bike (F4) would not do 2nd gear wheelies. I asked him one day on one of our runs if I could try it. Anyway I rode one past him and carried it for a good way. I pulled up to him afterwards, he practically threw me off his bike, jumped on the thing and proceeded to learn 2nd gear clutch ups on a bike he thought was incapable. Now he rides them out all day. Look into dropping a tooth in front or adding a couple on the rear sprocket, could do wonders ya never know.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:01 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Buy a dirt bike, learn how to wheelie and ride in an offroad environment, then bring it to the street.

Careful practicing on the street

Rev that fuker up in first and let out the clutch, it'll come up

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Have you guys ever been worried about the back tire breaking loose when dumping the clutch? It happened to me once and I can't get over that thought/feeling and probably will never be able to do clutch wheelies again. Ended up totalling the bike out.

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:53 AM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

Good luck to ya.

I have been riding for almost 4 years and have never even attempted a wheelie. I am big fraidie cat.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 01:24 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Have you guys ever been worried about the back tire breaking loose when dumping the clutch? It happened to me once and I can't get over that thought/feeling and probably will never be able to do clutch wheelies again. Ended up totalling the bike out.

Thats fun, lean all the way foward and dump the clutch = BLOCK LONG SMOKEY BURNOUTS

I was riding Saturday morning and it was a little cold out, I dumped the clutch and the pavement and my tires were cold, I expected the front end to come up and the rear just spun, a little scary, but expected

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 03:05 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Quote:
It happens....just air the tire down and make sure it has some decent tread and it's not as likely to happen. Just gotta be smart about the surface and temperature. I tried stunting at the oval with the big bike...not a good idea, that blacktop doesn't hook for shit trying to clutch up 1st gear.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 01:53 AM
I want my two dollars...

Sportbike: 2004 yamaha r1, 2006 yamaha roadstar warrior
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: a member, zeus-9R

Send a message via Yahoo to yamaweezle
trying to stay on topic...how, or what is the best method to get over that, "holy sh*t, i'm going over!!!" feeling? i try, and try to convince myself that i'm not, but something isn't clicking...maybe i should just give-up...

Matt
NESBA #347 "I"
2004 YAMAHA R1
2006 Roadstar Warrior
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 08:19 AM
Work In Progress...

Sportbike: 2005 Harley Night Train
Years Riding: I dunno ?
How you found us: Been around a couple years

Send a message via MSN to BuzByU
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaweezle
trying to stay on topic...how, or what is the best method to get over that, "holy sh*t, i'm going over!!!" feeling? i try, and try to convince myself that i'm not, but something isn't clicking...maybe i should just give-up...

I say go over a few times and then get used to the feeling.. that way you know when it is going to happen and you can catch it right b4 it does... . All kidding aside.. be safe out there , and check your insurance for when you total your bike. Good Luck!

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!
1999 Ford SVT Lightning - Super Charged @ 600 ponies

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:38 AM
I want my two dollars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzByU
I say go over a few times and then get used to the feeling.. that way you know when it is going to happen and you can catch it right b4 it does... . All kidding aside.. be safe out there , and check your insurance for when you total your bike. Good Luck!
i wasn't looking for sarcasm, or preaching...just, um, maybe, an answer to my question? i am a safe rider, who (like many others) likes to crank a wheelie up every so often...you can't tell me that being a former (or still have...) busa owner, you haven't rode the rear wheel a time or two...

Matt
NESBA #347 "I"
2004 YAMAHA R1
2006 Roadstar Warrior
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Work In Progress...

Sportbike: 2005 Harley Night Train
Years Riding: I dunno ?
How you found us: Been around a couple years

Send a message via MSN to BuzByU
Quote:
i wasn't looking for sarcasm, or preaching...just, um, maybe, an answer to my question? i am a safe rider, who (like many others) likes to crank a wheelie up every so often...you can't tell me that being a former (or still have...) busa owner, you haven't rode the rear wheel a time or two...
Never said you werent a safe rider, as a matter of fact alot on this site enjoy wheelies, etc... I think that is awsome. And Yea, I can tell you that I never rode a rear wheel.... doesnt even interest me. Rcck on Dude! Ride safe...

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!
1999 Ford SVT Lightning - Super Charged @ 600 ponies

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 12:23 PM
I want my two dollars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzByU
Never said you werent a safe rider, as a matter of fact alot on this site enjoy wheelies, etc... I think that is awsome. And Yea, I can tell you that I never rode a rear wheel.... doesnt even interest me. Rcck on Dude! Ride safe...
10-4...may have misunderstood your intent, sorry...peace

Matt
NESBA #347 "I"
2004 YAMAHA R1
2006 Roadstar Warrior
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:54 PM

Sportbike: 07 zx6r, 05 gsxr 1k, 06 Duc 749
Years Riding: 27 years
How you found us: ex member, just been gone for awhile...apex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDevo
Not that I think I should be doing wheelies at a whopping 4 months of riding experience, but I am curious how to do it. My gs500f doesn't have enough juice to do a power standup in any gear at any rpm so I think, at least by my understanding, that I would be bound to a clutch wheelie... Correct me if I'm wrong, but my thinking would be to load up a bit, pop the clutch and the front end will go up.... Sound about right? ...note... educational purposes only..my dumbass already learned the hard way about a stoppie, but im just a curious bastard.
FYI.........its possible to wheelie anything bro!!! just a matter of technique...2 months ago, i couldnt clutch my 600rr in second. now, im bouncin up stand-ups in second (no clutch). there is a thirteen year old kid that lives down the street from me that bangs wheelers on a 250ninja (STOCK). honestly though, i wouldnt be dickin around this time of year learnin wheelies, if ur new to ridin street. the ground is cold and the wheels dont like to stick. save that shizzle for next year bro

I am what I am, and I do what I do!!
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch
Re-gear your bike and it should be no problem. Probably work fine as is clutching up 2nd gear. Slide yourself back as far as you can, might need to tug on the bars a bit. About 35-45mph and it should come up when you pop the clutch. Have you tried learning power wheelies in first yet? Might be a good way to start if she don't budge in 2nd.
IMO....this is very bad advice. wheelies in 1st are extremely sketchy due to the gear ratio, 1 wrong flick-o-de-wrist and ur on ur ass...but do what is comfortable for you....i learned from first gear myself. the best piece of advice that i could give you is to always cover ur rear brake while attempting a wheelie. if you feel like ur bout to flip, just give the brake a LITE tap and she comes right back down.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:03 PM

Quote:
a power wheelie is when u open the throttle up to the point in ur rpms that ur bike produces the most power....then, in a fluid motion, you let off the throttle, to compress the forks...and then snap it back open and lean back.
otherwise known as blipping the throttle

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Buy a dirt bike, learn how to wheelie and ride in an offroad environment, then bring it to the street.

Careful practicing on the street

Rev that fuker up in first and let out the clutch, it'll come up
+1 on the dirtbike advice....im not too fond of the dumoing it from 1st advice though...thats something u do once youve mastered wheelies...like parkin 12s or highchairs

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:09 PM

Quote:
i love that feeling...in fact, thats how i learned to do a rolling burnout.
this time of year, when the ground is cold, is when the tire WILL break loose while clutchin it....i highly recomend learnin to bounce the bike up right now!
shit!!! you can do a bounce up in the rain

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:14 PM

Quote:
its simply....REPETITION
the more you wheelie, the more you get a feel for it, and whats gonna happen, and how the bike acts.

THREE WORDS:
PRACTICE
PRACTICE
PRACTICE

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:18 PM

Quote:
DUDE, jus come out to my neck of the woods sometime. i got some killer backroads with next to no traffic on them with straights that you can clearly see down. perfect roads for learnin how to put ur bikey in unicycle mode

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Take apex up on offer or find a nice open space, new construction of warehouse area, like you see on some stuntaa vids, or some of the roads I was on today out by Nascar track route 66, back in off to the east by Army training ranges, no one, just try turn around try again... Take a cager out with ya maybe girlie or friends, just in case there is a get off, dont want to be caught out in boonies without help!!!

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 10:09 AM
CLSB Sin City Chapter

Sportbike: '07 600rr
Years Riding: A 'lil bit of this... a 'lil bit of that
How you found us: Just found it

Apex, you giving wheelie lessons?

. : flipSTREAM : .
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 10:38 AM

he who asks shall receive
sure...if you want them, im actually teachin a couple of girls how to wheelie...one of which is already standin on the seat to wheelie on an r6

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:52 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

1-st gear is twitchy allright ,but on underpowered bikes sometimes first gear is the only one ya can do it in (like on my bike). IMO most important thing is cover that rear break.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:37 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Damn Jay, u diggin up some oldies here....
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Infectious Human Waste

Sportbike: <600cc's
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Milenko Send a message via Yahoo to Milenko
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex
DUDE, jus come out to my neck of the woods sometime. i got some killer backroads with next to no traffic on them with straights that you can clearly see down. perfect roads for learnin how to put ur bikey in unicycle mode

Hey rob you know if your heading out west by me to give me a call right? I could be down for some lessons too... or just check out the girls your teachin

Even heroes know when to be scared.
..As I shifted into 6th, I forgot every f'in thing she said..
Im a fuel injected suicide machine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criminalgrrl View Post
I'd let him pee in my butt
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:19 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
Damn Jay, u diggin up some oldies here....
they are only oldies to those who seen them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode