Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

how do you turn while in a wheelie?

5K views 62 replies 15 participants last post by  samurai87 
#1 ·
this is a serious question so haters stay away.

not looking to make sharp turns just maybe change lanes or go around a slight bend. if it comes up straight then i can keep it straight no problem. the main problem im having is that if it comes up crooked i cannot bring it back straight....it just continues to drift and drift. ive heard advice from many different people of where to put pressure on pegs or bars and nothing seems to work. its just really pissing me off and im looking for something new to try.

i know this probably isnt the best site to be asking this...but i do see the "in the closet" wheelers out on unorganized group rides sometimes.

thanks

#3 ·
My .02 is to make sure you are 100% comfortable in your skills to do wheel stands before you begin to lean them - I have been wheelie-ing for years now and still do not feel I can drift it lane to lane - My guess would be to apply pressure with your thigh on the tank side to ease into the desired direction while appling pressure to the outside of the peg on the side you want to drift towards - Again, just my .02 on it

#5 ·
yeah im very comfortable on 1 wheel. been doing them for a while but this season im doing them long enough that even the slightest drifting becomes a problem after a while. i figured if i could just learn to turn while up then i could just steer out of that when it happens.

i just dont understand it. when it starts to drift it seems like theres nothing i can do about it. ive experimented a lot with it. tried pressure on one side or the other on pegs or bars...leaning...steering the wheel...moving legs in or out...seems like when it starts to drift it just has a mind of its own. the problem is at slower speeds...starting out at 40 or below. starting at 70 or so...the foward momentem im already traveling on keeps it dead straight.

i guess i will just keep practicing. i just think it would be the hot ticket if i could learn to change lanes and shit.

#8 ·
#14 ·
the only way you can steer a wheelie is to be at balance point, if your not in balance point then you cant steer a wheelie its as simple as that. So before you go trying to take corners it sounds like you should work on getting the wheel higher nd hold a solid rpm, once you get that the slightest adjustment can be made from weight on a peg, leaning with yoru shoulder, or bending your kneeds

#15 ·
you know what you are right. now that i think about it thats the difference ive been unable to determine. theres times when i can steer it and other times when i cant. but the more i think about it...the times when im riding it keeping a constant speed are the times when it seems i have the most control. i will usually keep it "slightly" below the balance point if im on a road that im not familiar with the surface...just to be safe. these are the roads im having trouble on. thank you, im gonna pay more attn to that next time im out.

:bow

#19 ·
im perfectly happy with where im at right now wheelie wise. i dont go for longer than about 1/4 mile because i really worry about oil issues. so whether i can go further or not...i set it down after a while on purpose. i just thought it would be cool to have some steering control and then id be perfectly content with my wheelie skills. i would like to learn some more stuff eventually...but theres other things (motorcycle wise) that are in line to learn first.

even though i do more slow speed wheelies (40mph or so)...the fast ones are what really give me a rush. pulling it up at 80 and holding it at about 100 just feels really cool. but those guys that can go like 5mph and shit...damn thats a lot of skill. id love to learn one day but you kinda need a dedicated stunt bike for that. its cool...but not really "my" style.

#20 ·
I think with an I4, oil issues are not a concern as I have seen them do over 3 mile long wheelies with no problems

#27 ·
i know a few people that have broken motors from doing long wheelies on stock bikes. Spun bearings from lack of oil.

i dont know which bikes this would apply to...but if the pick up tube is not staying submerged in oil, that would cause a problem. i dont wanna chance it on my bike. i hear about guys putting an aftermarket pickup tube in there....they must do that for a reason.

#23 · (Edited)
Some people have brought up some good points but the best thing for you to do is ride with people that can do it. Are you doing "balance point" wheelies using the brake or no? Sitdowns or standups?

If you aren't able to use the brake, (I mean really using the brake not just saying that you could use it if you needed too) than don't worry about trying to turn and first learn how to slow down with the brake.

I've found it super sketchy to try and turn without using the brake and you'll be sure to kill yourself that way. After you're extremely comfortable slowing the bike down (say for 55mph to 35 in a short distance) and still be up on one wheel....

When you are approaching the turn, you want to set up for it early and try to take an early apex as it's slow to react and slow to correct. Meaning you want to start your turning before the turn and end it before the turn is over. Bring the bike PAST balance point using the brake which will also slow it down. The bike turns much easier this way and you are in more control. A combination of weighting the peg on the side you want to turn and leaning accompanied by having your outside thigh into the tank will turn the bike. Some people will also counter steer or steer into it, both seem to work. When you want to straighten out accelerate a bit (bring it back to balance or even a hair under) and correct your body position. Obviously right hand turns are the easiest because you can lean way off to the right and still cover the brake. Left handers are a bit harder and I've had quite a few pucker moments when I lost the brake pedal for a second but if you can position your foot right you can get way off to the left too. Don't forget to use your turn signals and shoulder checks. If you kill yourself I take no responsibility.

Sitdowns are a bit different, work on standups first.

#26 ·
damn dude...youre getting a little further advanced that i was thinking lol. i guess the title to my thread does ask how to "turn" in a wheelie. i dont want to turn a corner...mearly drift maybe from lane to lane or take a very slight bend if the road happens to turn "slightly". youre talkin about turning corners and stuff lol whoa! im no where near that skill level. i cannot slow down a wheelie. i can barely maintain a speed. most of the time i am accelerating slightly. these are sit down wheelies and im not skilled at using the brake. thats something ive been meaning to practice and think about more. its not like i go out and practice wheelies. i may do 1 maybe 2 per outing of riding. so my practice is pretty limited. like i said before, im not looking to be a stunt man...i just think theyre fun so i do them sometimes.

thanks for everyone all the advice! pretty much everything said is stuff i already knew and just forget to pay attn to. its kind of like playing pool. im a decent pool shooter but sometimes get too comfortable in my skill level and forget the basics, then wonder why my game continues to get worse and worse.

:wheelie

#28 ·
I'm not talking turning corners I'm talking following the curves of the highway and lane changes, if you don't want to learn the right (safer) way then don't try turning. Definitely work on the brake thing too, otherwise you're just asking to crash. Only with twins would you starve the bike from oil. I've went 8 miles on a 636 and well over 5 on a gsxr 1000 multiple times and never with an oil problem.

#29 ·
ok cool. i will just keep practicing. i mean to start practicing using the brake but i always forget. like i said...its not like i go out and practice this stuff. its usually just spur of the moment type wheelie. i never really try or think of trying new stuff....therefore my skill level advances very slowly.

i remember watching a video of a guy that did a few mile long wheelie on (i think) a gixxer....and the engine got effed up. thats the vid where he goes off the moto-x ramp with it and misses the landing. i also have a friend that had this happen to him on a 04 gixxer 1k and had to get a new motor. then another friend that had it happen on a 04 gixxer 750.

i only know what i see...thats why i was worried about it. i thought those guys that stunt the bikes have different oil pump pickups or something? thats what i was told by a guy that actually stunts. if there is no worry then why would he need that?

#31 ·
with all due respect silverR1 it sounds like you need to worry less about turning and more about learning how to wheelie. If you cant cover your rear brake your just asking for trouble. Focus on the basics before you try negotiating a corner!!! otherwise your just another power wheelie king down the straight-a-way!!!

I'm not tryin to be a dick but what your asking would be like a 15 yr old trying to learn how to auto x when he cant even parallel park. There are certain things about wheelies that you need to be able to control and manipulate in order to be safe and controlled. you MUST be able to control the rear brake otherwise mark my words you will eat shit eventually especially running out the gear into the power band on a R1 I saw it happen a while ago and the lil fuck almost killed me!! so take it for what its worth but seriously forget about the turns until you can learn to hold a constant speed and slow down the bike first!

samurai

#33 ·
i appreciate all your help. no disrespect to you either. actually much respect to you. and im not saying youre wrong.

from behind the computer you have no clue what my abilities are. i also know not to wheelie in the power band. "if" for some reason the rpms go up....and i feel second gear starting to get happy...then i shift to third. its rare that happens...but on a road thats not perfectly smooth i will not hold it up as high and will accelerate "slightly". sometimes while cruising in 3rd ill stick it in 4th just to give it even less power. i do what i want to do. if its fun to me...how can it be wrong? keep in mind...i never said i wanted to be a stunter.

on my way home last night i hit a road that im real comfortable doing wheelies on. so i payed attn to what took place. 2nd gear rolling at 6k...slight snap of the clutch and put it right near the balance point. slight throttle control to bring it to the balance point....and then i was holding a STEADY 7k~ rpms. rpms stayed the same for the entire wheelie. if i had to guess id say the wheelie was about 20 seconds long. thats good enough for me. i "choose" to then set it down by slightly rolling off the throttle, and about mid way down i give it more throttle to set the front wheel down soft as a baby. this is my typical wheelie.

this is the way i choose to wheelie. again...you dont know my abilities. ive never heard any of my friends say i look sketchy. they say i look perfectly in control and super smooth. im not one that pushes beyone my ability. so while something "could" happen to me....its unlikely. AND i am covering the brake. because i choose not to go "beyond" the balance point and use the brake to slow down does not mean that im not skilled at wheelies. im not looking to turn a corner. i want the ability to "drift" slightly. if i have trouble with drifting out of my lane...i want the control to bring it back. thats all im looking for. thanks.

and i will be experimenting with the brake also...just so you know. i dont think youre wrong about that...of course youre not. the brake is the way to do it. i just need to start trying it. but as for now i would not be too worried about me. ive been told all my life that my hand/eye/feeling coordination is beyond most.

oh...i dont cover the brake on my race car either....and that could go over backwards too ;)

#34 ·
my:2cents: and i'm no stunter by far, i just like rockn and doing my own thing. i use the throttle to do all my wheelies. i "cover" the back brake but i have only actually used it once when i felt i was going to far back. just a little tap to bring the bike back to the bp. but hey i have the same problem of drifting at times so maybe im not doing it correct either.

always hear people bashing "power wheelies" but when i'm on a long strait road with no one around i love rockn them.:wheelie:

frm what i can see LsilverR1 has the bike comfortably under controle:cheers:

#35 ·
You can definitely balance wheelies without the brake. But I've seen it more than once... you will crash eventually. Be it the wind, a rock in the road, etc. etc. without the brake you have no safety. For those that say they cover it but have never had to use it, I call B.S.

If you use the brake you know how hard of a habbit it is to actually use, saying you can use it but haven't is just a story.

#36 ·
You can definitely balance wheelies without the brake. But I've seen it more than once... you will crash eventually. Be it the wind, a rock in the road, etc. etc.
doing wheelies with using the brake...you will crash eventually also. most will crash eventually just riding down the road.

For those that say they cover it but have never had to use it, I call B.S.

If you use the brake you know how hard of a habbit it is to actually use, saying you can use it but haven't is just a story.
100% true. thats why i am gonna start practicing with the rear brake.

im teaching a beginner to ride right now. i guess i should take my own advice about the rear brake. i told her that she should be using the rear brake to stop any time she stops. whether its needed or not....get used to it...because in a panic situation where maximum braking is needed...it will be natural to grab rear brake also. i guess the same can go for wheelies. although i may think i can grab the rear brake in a panic situation...my brain isnt trained to do so yet so it probably wont happen. so yes...practice is needed for me on the rear brake.

ok so now how do i control drifting again? :flip :neener: jk...i got a lot of good advice from a few people and am gonna practice those techniques also.

#42 ·
I wasn't trying to insult you, I was just saying I hear that story ALLLLLL the time. If shit really hit the fan and you aren't accustomed to using the back brake you will forget it. Just like those that have ridden and tried to wheelie on a 50 have found out.

If you want to talk $$$ maybe we can work something out... I haven't rode a motorcycle since spring time and I can put up $100 bucks that says I can ride a longer wheelie through turns, traffic, etc. than you. You name the particulars ;)

#43 ·
Nick it sounded like you where calling BS on me for my riding style. if thats not what you meant then im sorry for getn outa line.

i know you can wheelie that was never in question. any one that can hit the bp and hold it can wheelie for any distance they want to. it just sounded like you where sayn i cant wheelie cuz i don't "ride" the brake. thats not true at all. i keep my foot on the brake without applying it. if the bike goes over to far i use the brake. this method has worked fine for me. there may be better or other ways to do it but to each ther own.

#50 ·
jesus...everything always turns into a pissing match. one of my best friends is actually a professional stunter. ive been around this stuff for 10 years...im actually pretty sick if it and its pretty hard to impress me. that person isnt me. i dont want to be a stunter (kinda like jerry doesnt wanna be a pirate lol).

so who cares who wheelies better than who...who uses the brake...etc. when i can correct my drifting problem then ill be happy.

kbye

#51 ·
I dont get this at all????

If i go to the race track isnt there a right and a wrong way to turn??? isnt there a right and wrong way to brake and find your line???

Yet, you people are so quick to get offended when someone says YES there is a right and wrong way to wheelie. Power wheelies are wheelies ok true, but thats it they will only ever last until redline rocketing you across the rode like a lile torpedo with your front tire 1' off the ground. People always get so offended when someone that stunts says in order to wheelie you need to be at balance point and use the brake. Can you wheelie without the brake yes......is it safe.......NO will you eventually fall....YES

Dont ask advice and then get in a pissing match because someone that CAN wheelie says your doing it wrong. When your learnign it takes time, I am still learning but you dont see me telling people "i have my own way of wheelieng leave me alone". Listen to yourself it makes no sense.

Ask anyone, if you wanna steer a wheelie you need to be at/in balance point anything below and its not relaly gonna do much steering. So like I said before, if your content with rocking wheelies NOT in balance point fine. But if you really want advice it sounds like you need more work on brake coverage and balance point and you will find that steering comes very easily.

The only reason I'm saying this is becuase im learning and had the same questions and when people gave me this same advice and i started hittin balance point and catching idle steering become really easy.

So take it for what its worth, but dont say there isnt a right way to wheelie becuase there is a right way just like there is a right way for turning, braking, etc...

#52 ·
hey just wonderin real quick, whats this oil problem people are talking about??

im looking to start doing wheelies on my 600 and this is def. an important issue.

#53 ·
the location of the oil pickup to circulate oil throughout the engine gets starved when the bike is at balance point, and the longer the pickup cant circulate the oil the motor becomes starved of oil heats up and ultimatly siezes causing lots of $$$$ in damage to your motor IF its even fixable which most times its not!

Solution....either buy a honda cuz they dont have this problem, or if you did (this is for you without a honda) not buy a honda then look at stuntex.com for oil pickup relocation kits.

oil starvation will not affect lil power wheelies. The only time oil starvation will come into play is when you can actually carry a wheelie for a distance where enough time is elapsed for the motor to become starved.

jus my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.