Think before you videotape a cop? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: '07 Factory RSVR
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: member

Think before you videotape a cop?

I know the video was posted earlier (off duty cop making stop with gun drawn). Problem is, now they're trying to intimidate the rider. No question he was riding like a free spirit but...16 years?

http://hiphopandpolitics.wordpress.c...-looms-larger/

BTW, it IS illegal in Illinois to record a conversation without both parties' consent.

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Thoughts are, you should read up on the case and realize you're posting info that's almost 2 years old. As of September 2010 four of the seven charges filed against Anthony Graber were dropped, leaving only traffic code violations. The judge ruled that Maryland's wire tap law allows recording of both voice and sound in areas where privacy cannot be expected and that a police officer on a traffic stop has no expectation of privacy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

No way that kid is gonna get 16 years. If he does there is something seriously wrong with the judicial system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

Poor little popos are afraid of beatin' a nigga down and getting caught. A lot of cops abuse their power and it sucks. I think laws against recording are ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 AM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkyleg View Post
Poor little popos are afraid of beatin' a nigga down and getting caught. A lot of cops abuse their power and it sucks. I think laws against recording are ridiculous.
sorry you're incorrect. first, the eavesdropping law in illinios is the most stringent in the nation that I am aware of. secondly, the law in this state was brought about by politicians to secure their communications. In essence keep from getting caught saying something stupid and have it broadcast. It requires a warrant to record voice in this state, but their are some exceptions.
Traffic stops are one of the exceptions. No police agency or lobbying body for police worked to pass the current law that I can find.

Even now police don't care for it:

http://www.chicagotalks.org/2012/01/...uperintendent/

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

Well shit, I admit some defeat. I stand by my statement about there being a lot of power abusing cops and they don't like being on video although their supervisor may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

I really don't see how laws against recording audio in a public place can hold up in court except as possible use as evidence in a criminal trial.

Dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunshowNick View Post
sorry you're incorrect. first, the eavesdropping law in illinios is the most stringent in the nation that I am aware of.

Even now police don't care for it:

http://www.chicagotalks.org/2012/01/...uperintendent/
There's a bill introduced in the last two weeks to modify the Illinois eavsdropping law.

Craig
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
There's a bill introduced in the last two weeks to modify the Illinois eavsdropping law.
The case that caused this review of the law was tossed out recently. A Chicago woman who called the cops for a domestic against her man was harassed by the responding officer who tried to hit on her after the reporting incident was resolved. She went to OPS to report the issue and the OPS investigators attempted to convince her that if she dropped the harassment report against the responding cop he wouldn't bother her again.

This started to smell bad to her so during the interview she reached into her pocket and started a recording session via her cell phone.

When the OPS investigators discovered this (I think she told them at some point during the same interview) they immediately arrested her.

This law is garbage. ANY action taken by a public servant while conducting official duties should be subject to the public domain, especially a law enforcement officer acting on behalf of the public trust.

Without this how can we have a legitimate legal system? You can't.

Anyway, I've worked for government for nearly 20 years and at no point during my career was I under the impression that what I did was secret. I mean, if you check my address, salary, financial disclosures (all my investment information), employee reviews, etc are available for public download. All my work is subject to FOIA request. My email and phone conversations conducted over government equipment are all open to public review. In fact, if I delete them I am liable.

Anyway, this is another junk law. This is what Rahm Emmanuel said recently when asked if he uses a city cell phone or city email account. He knows a FOIA request is pending. The public has a right to know how he uses these accounts. Hell, we paid for them. Politicians and police only have the power the people give them.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,265276.story

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:22 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

for me, tape recording a cop is a gray area. They have to deal with trash on a regular basis.

Then you get a liberal seeing a cop swearing at a criminal for shooting up a bank, and says that violated the criminals rights.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
for me, tape recording a cop is a gray area. They have to deal with trash on a regular basis.

Then you get a liberal seeing a cop swearing at a criminal for shooting up a bank, and says that violated the criminals rights.
Oh I understand the issues from a policing standpoint. However, I think as an officer you just have to roll with it and work out the situation without escalating.

Same thing for the civilians. If you are stopped by the police, comply with all requests and work it out later.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode