supervision, how does it work? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

supervision, how does it work?

got busted by a state trooper on rt20 close to Freemont this weekend, going 20 over. I can pleed guilty and get automatic supervision for 180 days by checking a box when mailing my ticket, but I have to attend traffic school. Anyone know how the supervision works? Is it only for that county, state-wide, national or what? I'm worried about getting nabbed again and forking out big on insurance. I can almost certainly avoid getting caught in that county/court for 180 days, but if it's national, I might as well try to fight this one.. even though I have no case..

I was also a little surprised when he wanted me to fork up cash, exact amount no less, or else he would take my license as bond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
Most supervisions are based on the county in which you received it.

Basically you have to be good for the 180 days, if so the ticket goes away and off your record permanently. "while on supervision your tickets in a file ,not on your record unless you screw up in that county again, in which case you'll get slammed with both tickets!"

Some cities have city ordinance tickets Like Naperville. then your supervision is just in that city alone. Id call and ask them.

This is gonna hurt!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 01:09 AM

Sportbike: can-a-tuna 750
Years Riding: not nearly enough
How you found us: another forum

Okay..heres the skinny on supervision. much like Hooligan said, if you stay out of trouble for 180 days( i.e. don't get another ticket!) this does not appear on your driving record and will not effect your insurance etc. However you do have to go to a silly 4 or 8 hour traffic school (usually). In Cook County you can even do it on line.( you only have to do the 8 hour if you've already taken the 4 hour course). But be careful...should you happen to go to court again, the City attorney/ States attorney can pull up your DRIVERS ABSTRACT, which is your ENTIRE drving history, including supervisons that you have had.So don't lie...cause they'll call you on it! Insurance comapanys, employers etc. cannot get this info w/o your consent. If you are convicted of 3 or more moving violations in a year your license can be suspended. For you people that are under 21 it's 2. Bottom line take the supervision! Hope this helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I called the court and they told me any violation that gets passed on to secretary of state will screw up my supervision. All tickets regardless of where it happened should be sent to SOS. So it seems the next ticket must be beat, or double trouble.

I guess I'll call my insurance company next.. "yeah hello? I'm writing a high-school paper on tickets, how much would the premium increase for a person like XXX with vehicles YYY increase with 1 and 2 tickets?"
(I'm already paying $2500 a year)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Do the speedlimit while on supervision and ya won't have to worry, it's that easy

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:21 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHeYeNNe
Do the speedlimit while on supervision and ya won't have to worry, it's that easy

QFE

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Enjoying Life!!

QFE?!?

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

quoted for emphasis

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Enjoying Life!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highground
In Cook County you can even do it on line.

If you intend to pay for the ticket and take the course, I recommend paying the extra $25 to do the course online. I was able to do this once and I finished the course in about 2 hours.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Just go to court and plead guilty and get supervision with NO class to take. I have done it plenty of times instead of sending in the form asking for super and the class.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Obeying the speed limits might be an option, but it's not a very attractive one considering I quite often do a 80 mile r/t commute on the 94. And there's no way I'm giving up lane-splitting/passing on the right in the city (chicago cops usually don't give a $hit), I'm just trying to figure out how much trouble I would be in should I run into the wrong cop at the wrong time.

Freeport doesn't accept on-line schools, and I'd really like to avoid wasting a day going there. I have a very unpredictable travel schedule, which doesn't help. Ideally I'll get a laywer to work it out with me not having to go anywhere. Whether it's a court appearence or a traffic school doesn't matter that much, I still have to go there. I don't care about the cost so much.

ps! has anyone successfully gotten out of school in Freeport? It might be different since their traffic school & supervision offer is automatic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode