Got a ticket in a construction zone - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
To infinity and beyond

Sportbike: 2008 Hayabusa
Years Riding: 24
How you found us: Goggle Search Engine

Got a ticket in a construction zone

This really sucks!! Nearly a perfect driving record and I get stopped by a Cook Country Sheriff for going over 30 mph in a 45 mph construction zone on 294 South (near Halsted St.).

First of all, I was driving my truck trying to go to Indiana. There is no way I was going 85 mph on a Sunday (10:30 a.m.) with all the traffic at that location and I just got off the ramp before Dixie Hwy. Merging with traffic and going through the Toll, theres no way I was going 85mph.

This guy would not even give me a chance to challenge him. "Need your license and insurance card...Did you see the construction workers?" I say, "no". Technically I should told him who cares since the law for speed limits in constuction zones applies regardless if there are people working or not (Scotts law). Well, he leaves and comes back with a ticket for driving 30+ over the speed limit.

I begin to question the ticket and ask for proof, but he says he clocked my speed. Looks at me, hands me the ticket and leaves. This dick definitely wanted to ticket someone before his shift was over. Now I have to go to court.

I circled around and follow a State Police car and took pictures of them going 65 to 70 mph through the same area I was stopped (pic of the police car in front of me with a copy of my speedometer). And of course traffic is following right behind him. WTF is that!!!

I want to fight the ticket. I know I was traveling at a safe speed with the flow of traffic. Probably doesn't matter how fast I was going, but pisses me off that I have to go to court now. I'm thinking I need a lawyer. Does anybody know a good traffic lawyer?

What were you thinking??? You can't catch me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:28 PM

Sportbike: Kawasaki ZX-9R
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: from a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
I circled around and follow a State Police car and took pictures of them going 65 to 70 mph through the same area I was stopped (pic of the police car in front of me with a copy of my speedometer). And of course traffic is following right behind him. WTF is that!!!

I agree that you need a lawyer. They changed the law a year ago, and this is a fairly serious offence. It'll be close to a $1000 fine. Also, I wouldn't show that picture in court. It proves that you were speeding, and does not prove that the cop was speeding, since you could technically be gaining on the Police Officer as you took the picture.

Hopefully your lawyer can plea-bargain you down to a lesser offence. Good luck!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:43 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

(30+) + 45 = 75+ Maybe you were doing 76 mph. Considering you had no idea how fast you were going, chances are the cop did in fact clock you going 75+. Haven't you been paying attention to all the media and signage about speeding in construction zones this year?

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 10-11-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:52 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

well not trying to be a jackass, i am just trying to point out the voice of reasoning.

just cause someone else is breaking the law doesnt mean its ok for you to do it too.

following a cop threw there saying he's doing it why cant i?

is bullshit, if you want to be a cop then go do it and enforce the cops threw being a state professional regulations officer. "you can only understand the beast when you are in the beast shoes"

you dont know what speed you were going other then it was safe and withien the flow of traffic you say.

there again, your lack of attention to your speed is disregaurd for yourself in others in the more so important manner of speeding threw a construction zone, where have you been for the last 4 years of media and law dealings with comstruction zone deaths and hazzards.

so i am trying to make you see why and not deal with the why me.

hope you dont take this the wrong way.

shit happens, go get a lawyer to get it reduced as much as possible dude.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
+1 on the lawyer and get rid of that picture, the only thing that proves is that you were speeding. I PMed ya with some lawyer info, I'm sure he can really help ya out!!

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

I can understand how you feel. When I see construction zones, I slow to at least 50, when I do, just about everyone around runs up on my ass and want me to go faster. I don't play in these zones because of the serious fines involved. I got a ticket in 99 for speeding in a work zone, and it cost me $150 back then, now, it is insane because of the new reguations. I know everyone else still goes 70 + in there, but you have to go against the grain to insure yourself a happy and ticketless day.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
To infinity and beyond

Definitely going to get a lawyer!! I really was not going to use the picture of the cop also speeding. I was just ranting on how someone who is to enforce the law is breaking the law.

Driving already for hours, kids crying, and the wife all stressed out, I really wasn't paying attention to my speed at that moment. Besides, I was blocked with a semi on the right and a line of cars in front and to the left of my truck. I know it's still no excuse. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also, I know the law in construction zones very well, since my uncle was killed working on a construction site. A drunk driver crossed the barrier and ran him over. My family was part of pushing Scotts Law in Illinois.

Last edited by Ricochet; 10-11-2005 at 04:09 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:15 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

then you know better then i about speeding in those zones..like i said it one of those shit happens times. get a lawyer and just pay your way out of it

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
To infinity and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
then you know better then i about speeding in those zones..like i said it one of those shit happens times. get a lawyer and just pay your way out of it
Yea, your right about shit just happens. It just sucks when it happens unexpectedly! I was going to use the money for a new bike. Now I'll just have to wait a few more months.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:54 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

I wouldnt show that picture of you following a cop through a construction zone at 70, theyll give you another ticket since you are providing them proof that you were doing it again.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode